Boxing Forums

.
.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: How good was Rick Hatton?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,670
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1954
    Cool Clicks
    370

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

    Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

    As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

    how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?

    Are you suggesting that beating Pac would've made Hatton the world's p4p? I hope not. #1- He hadn't earned the shot. Just like he hadn't earned the shot at Mayweather. #2- There were lots of fighters more deserving of p4p than Hatton at that point in time. #3- Any fighter can have a bad night. Hatton has never come within sniffing distance of world's p4p. Fact.
    I am not saying Hatton was p4p champion , im saying if he had beaten PAC the p4p champion at the time, what would that have made Hatton ?
    Its a question aimed at you.
    Hidden Content
    I won the IBF title by knocking out an amateur in sparring .

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    17,678
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1298
    Cool Clicks
    378

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

    Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

    As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

    how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?

    Are you suggesting that beating Pac would've made Hatton the world's p4p? I hope not. #1- He hadn't earned the shot. Just like he hadn't earned the shot at Mayweather. #2- There were lots of fighters more deserving of p4p than Hatton at that point in time. #3- Any fighter can have a bad night. Hatton has never come within sniffing distance of world's p4p. Fact.
    I am not saying Hatton was p4p champion , im saying if he had beaten PAC the p4p champion at the time, what would that have made Hatton ?
    Its a question aimed at you.
    Hard to disagree with either of you to be fair. If Hatton had beaten Manny at the same weight class and Manny is P4P Number 1, surely he's got a right to call himself the best P4P?

    That said I wouldnt have considered him the best P4P and agree with Tito, it was for the best he got splatted, would have made an already complicated situation even worse

    Glad he lost because the admin should he have won would have been terrible
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,294
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1342
    Cool Clicks
    526

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

    Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

    As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

    how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?

    Are you suggesting that beating Pac would've made Hatton the world's p4p? I hope not. #1- He hadn't earned the shot. Just like he hadn't earned the shot at Mayweather. #2- There were lots of fighters more deserving of p4p than Hatton at that point in time. #3- Any fighter can have a bad night. Hatton has never come within sniffing distance of world's p4p. Fact.
    I am not saying Hatton was p4p champion , im saying if he had beaten PAC the p4p champion at the time, what would that have made Hatton ?
    Its a question aimed at you.
    Hard to disagree with either of you to be fair. If Hatton had beaten Manny at the same weight class and Manny is P4P Number 1, surely he's got a right to call himself the best P4P?

    That said I wouldnt have considered him the best P4P and agree with Tito, it was for the best he got splatted, would have made an already complicated situation even worse

    Glad he lost because the admin should he have won would have been terrible

    To be clear, I'm not discrediting Hatton or his accomplishments. I'm just stating that he probably would have not gotten the shots against Mayweather and Pacquiao were it not for his inmense popularity. He had not beaten the necessary "stepping stones" to get to that point. So it's hard for me to swallow that some fluke victory (it happens) against Pacquiao would have made Hatton the world's p4p. Boxing is not arithmetic, where if A>B and B>C, then automatically A>C. Not even the most ardent Hatton fans would have felt in their hearts that Hatton was the world's #1 p4p.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    12,844
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    727
    Cool Clicks
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

    Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

    As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

    how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?

    Are you suggesting that beating Pac would've made Hatton the world's p4p? I hope not. #1- He hadn't earned the shot. Just like he hadn't earned the shot at Mayweather. #2- There were lots of fighters more deserving of p4p than Hatton at that point in time. #3- Any fighter can have a bad night. Hatton has never come within sniffing distance of world's p4p. Fact.
    I am not saying Hatton was p4p champion , im saying if he had beaten PAC the p4p champion at the time, what would that have made Hatton ?
    Its a question aimed at you.
    Hard to disagree with either of you to be fair. If Hatton had beaten Manny at the same weight class and Manny is P4P Number 1, surely he's got a right to call himself the best P4P?

    That said I wouldnt have considered him the best P4P and agree with Tito, it was for the best he got splatted, would have made an already complicated situation even worse

    Glad he lost because the admin should he have won would have been terrible

    To be clear, I'm not discrediting Hatton or his accomplishments. I'm just stating that he probably would have not gotten the shots against Mayweather and Pacquiao were it not for his inmense popularity. He had not beaten the necessary "stepping stones" to get to that point. So it's hard for me to swallow that some fluke victory (it happens) against Pacquiao would have made Hatton the world's p4p. Boxing is not arithmetic, where if A>B and B>C, then automatically A>C. Not even the most ardent Hatton fans would have felt in their hearts that Hatton was the world's #1 p4p.
    Many,many of both Pacquiao and Mayweathers opponents have not fought fighters whom you would no doubt class as necessary stepping stones.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37,513
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2855
    Cool Clicks
    1176

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    If Hatton had beaten Floyd then he would have been the best fighter in the world. Floyd was the best and asked Hatton to go to a weight he wasn't proven at. If Hatton had somehow done that then at least for a time he would have been the best. Same with the Pac fight. If Hatton had done that then he was indeed great, but he did fall short and because of it people go hell for leather on bringing the man down. Hatton was a bloody good fighter and declined at the top for various reasons. I don't think he was well as could be seen with all the between fight shenanigans and it took it's toll. He no longer was as good as he once was.

    Screw all the people that bring Hatton down. He was better than most and only a few of his contemporaries could shine greater and they ultimately were the greatest of his generation.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,294
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1342
    Cool Clicks
    526

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Well.... then good thing this useless debate didn't even get off the ground (no pun intended).


  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,670
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1954
    Cool Clicks
    370

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Well.... then good thing this useless debate didn't even get off the ground (no pun intended).

    You didnt answer my earlier question
    Hidden Content
    I won the IBF title by knocking out an amateur in sparring .

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,927
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    595
    Cool Clicks
    55

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

    Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

    As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

    how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?

    Are you suggesting that beating Pac would've made Hatton the world's p4p? I hope not. #1- He hadn't earned the shot. Just like he hadn't earned the shot at Mayweather. #2- There were lots of fighters more deserving of p4p than Hatton at that point in time. #3- Any fighter can have a bad night. Hatton has never come within sniffing distance of world's p4p. Fact.
    I am not saying Hatton was p4p champion , im saying if he had beaten PAC the p4p champion at the time, what would that have made Hatton ?
    Its a question aimed at you.
    Remind me -- did Pac/Hatton happen at the time that Floyd was "retired" and therefore not rated at all? Otherwise, I don't think you could legitimately have Hatton leapfrog a guy to whom he just lost. (And personally, I never had Pac ahead of Mayweather -- during any time they were both active, anyway.)

    More generally: sometimes beating a guy who's ranked #1 just proves that the #1 rating wasn't justified -- not that the new guy is #1.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Up in the attic
    Posts
    26,090
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3692
    Cool Clicks
    1255

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Tszyu was tailor made for Ricky right at the stage that it happened at.
    Tszyus mind was set as to how the fight would go already, as he wanted a tough fight for the fans, no pretty boxing match.
    Head to head the toughest man won that event and thats how good a fighter Ricky was.

    Boxer? Thats another question.

    If Floyd or Pac had fought a stand in front of him style of fight they could of made a mistake too, but when you make angles and force someone like Ricky to turn into you you can catch them harder and cleaner over a distance the frustration builds which depletes even more of the boxing skill.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

    I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    8,084
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    466
    Cool Clicks
    445

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Hatton was a good fighter, he had a very good fan base people liked Ricky because he had the common touch he gave his all in the ring.
    Ricky had that do or die style of fighting and people like that, what more do you want he gave people
    entertainment not saying he was a great fighter, but he was a very good one.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    48,140
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2673
    Cool Clicks
    849

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Looking back on things Hatton vs Berto & Ortiz would have been interesting. I always ALWAYS wanted to see Gatti vs Hatton, Morales vs Hatton, & Corrales vs Hatton, but those never came to fruition for various reasons. Also Hatton vs Judah would have been nice as well.


    Ricky was a very solid fighter....his style wasn't meant to last though. Pressure fighters age out rather quickly.
    Hidden Content
    "None of you three above have any right to criticise any boxer" - ross

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,569
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    457
    Cool Clicks
    180

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    The Hatton vs Floyd fight had one of the biggest build ups from recent years, it was two unbeaten fighters with long winning streaks, that was to decide who was the best in the world.

    It was certainly billed that way and I 100% got sucked in by all the hype!

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    40,262
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2332
    Cool Clicks
    1522

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    The Hatton vs Floyd fight had one of the biggest build ups from recent years, it was two unbeaten fighters with long winning streaks, that was to decide who was the best in the world.

    It was certainly billed that way and I 100% got sucked in by all the hype!
    Don't believe the hype. Cotto will beat Mayweather though 24/7 says so.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    48,140
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2673
    Cool Clicks
    849

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    The Hatton vs Floyd fight had one of the biggest build ups from recent years, it was two unbeaten fighters with long winning streaks, that was to decide who was the best in the world.

    It was certainly billed that way and I 100% got sucked in by all the hype!
    Don't believe the hype. Cotto will beat Mayweather though 24/7 says so.
    Woah there cowboy....before Ricky's fight with Floyd, Ricky had dominated good fighters at 140 he didn't fight everyone but hell that's neither here nor there. When Ricky initially stepped up to 147 to try and force Floyd's hand and he fought Collazo everyone saw that Ricky just wasn't as effective at 147, so he returned to 140 proceeded to look less than stellar vs Urango and fought a half hearted Jose Luis Castillo. After those fights Floyd accepted the challenge but at 147 where Ricky had previously been....well GIFTED a decision.

    You look at Cotto and the guy was winning round after round vs Margarito before getting bloodied up by loaded gloves. Cotto didn't have a trainer and was weight drained when he fought Pacquiao and he STILL nearly made it the distance. Cotto is a solid boxer, decent power in both hands, can switch stances effectively and is fighting at a good natural weight for him.
    Hidden Content
    "None of you three above have any right to criticise any boxer" - ross

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    40,262
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2332
    Cool Clicks
    1522

    Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    The Hatton vs Floyd fight had one of the biggest build ups from recent years, it was two unbeaten fighters with long winning streaks, that was to decide who was the best in the world.

    It was certainly billed that way and I 100% got sucked in by all the hype!
    Don't believe the hype. Cotto will beat Mayweather though 24/7 says so.
    Woah there cowboy....before Ricky's fight with Floyd, Ricky had dominated good fighters at 140 he didn't fight everyone but hell that's neither here nor there. When Ricky initially stepped up to 147 to try and force Floyd's hand and he fought Collazo everyone saw that Ricky just wasn't as effective at 147, so he returned to 140 proceeded to look less than stellar vs Urango and fought a half hearted Jose Luis Castillo. After those fights Floyd accepted the challenge but at 147 where Ricky had previously been....well GIFTED a decision.

    You look at Cotto and the guy was winning round after round vs Margarito before getting bloodied up by loaded gloves. Cotto didn't have a trainer and was weight drained when he fought Pacquiao and he STILL nearly made it the distance. Cotto is a solid boxer, decent power in both hands, can switch stances effectively and is fighting at a good natural weight for him.
    I love the case you have made for Cotto and I have too. I hope and pray it will be true. Closer the day comes the more the realistation that Floyd will out box Cotto with his speed and maybe even stop him late. I really wish I am wrong and will stay up for this fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Is Rick Santorum for real?
    By Beanz in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 01:11 AM
  2. Coach Rick doing footwork
    By iceman in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 03:57 AM
  3. I've just been 'Rick Rolled' for the 1st time!
    By Jimanuel Boogustus in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 11:35 PM
  4. I've never liked Rick Sanchez (CNN)
    By Youngblood in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM
  5. Rick Barry
    By mddugan in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 01:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2016 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing