Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    454
    Cool Clicks

    Default Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    One Time seems to be an KO artist. I say "seems" because Carlos was scared before he did his ring walk. Wasn't really much of a fight. Nonetheless, Keith did what he had to do.

    If you was Al Haymon on Keith Thurman advisor, how would you guide his career for 2013 and/or 2014?


    Thoughts??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,303
    Mentioned
    1406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2656
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Keith looked wild and the opponent looked shot. He thinks he can punch and must therefore develop his boxing skills if he wants to progress in the game and not love his power too much.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    8,223
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1543
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .



    I agree he needs to work on his boxing, he clearly has power but as soon as somebody can stand up to his power and has boxing ability I think Thurman will struggle. He has youth on his side though and could certainly work on his technique. We will have to see how he progresses though, no doubt any top 154 fighter would beat him though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1038
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    I say he goes fights Angulo, Kirkland, and maybe Cotto next year. That would be an awesome progression to see him get best.
    The key is Self-discipline.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    454
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    IMO, if you want Keith to make a statement, I'll keep him at 154 and go after a title shot against K9. Getting a title will raise his ranking and put him in the top tier of opponents. Top 3 at 154 is Mayweather, Alvarez and Cotto(should Cotto defeat Trout). If he don't get a big time money fight with the top 3, like someone else said, Kirkland and Augulo would be some good fights while they last. To see if he can handle a boxer/mover, Molina is the man.

    BUT, if you want Keith to get a money fight sooner then later, I'll keep him at 147 to fight The Ghost and/or Bradley. Rois if he want it. That way he could be next in line to whomever, they are calling out. Ghost calling out Mayweather and Bradley calling out Pacman.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,788
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1095
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    I say he goes fights Angulo, Kirkland, and maybe Cotto next year. That would be an awesome progression to see him get best.
    I actually thought Thurman looked really good and did exactly what he needed to in order to neutralize the tricky Quintana.

    Paul Williams and Cotto showed that if you jump on Quintana then you can get him outta there early.

    IF you let a guy like Quintana stick around and try to box him then he can give you fits.

    He's like Kenny Norton, if you are a puncher then you jump on him right away and don't give him a chance to box your ears off.

    Also, I agree with your opponent list Onix, especially Kirkland. That would be an amazing fight ! Could be over quick tho.
    Last edited by Hulk; 11-27-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Scandalous, CA
    Posts
    30,790
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4700
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Needs a lot of polishing still...

    I don't think he's ready for the top guys.
    I'd have him fight someone like:
    Mike Jones, Luis Abregu, Selcuk Aydin or even Randal Bailey.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1038
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Needs a lot of polishing still...

    I don't think he's ready for the top guys.
    I'd have him fight someone like:
    Mike Jones, Luis Abregu, Selcuk Aydin or even Randal Bailey.

    Damn is that your easy polishing up list?! Mike Jones is a good boxer with enough power to keep you honest, that is actually a great move up fight for Thurman, Bailey would be great to see just to see if Thurman has any glaring holes in his defense, but Aydin and Abregu are some killers I think those two guys crush the guys I mentioned in Kirkland and Angulo.

    They would all be pretty awesome fights.
    The key is Self-discipline.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    37,700
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4681
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Kid is strong like an ox but better suited to let his fists do the promoting rather than his third person WWF like sound bites. HBO is pushing hard but he has alot of fine tuning to do yet and wayyy to early to talk about throwing him in with top guys...many subtle defensive lapses behind that power hooking rush. He should stay at 154. Quintana was scalped as a name souly at this point but Thurman closed it down like he should have. Props. I'd like to see his chin and his mental makeup tested by a puncher and far deeper guy. Kirkland would be fun as shit...I hear Angulo is on the comeback? He is in the pool now...might as well do cannonballs off the deep end Keiff? I'd keep him away from stiff boxer types right now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Scandalous, CA
    Posts
    30,790
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4700
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Needs a lot of polishing still...

    I don't think he's ready for the top guys.
    I'd have him fight someone like:
    Mike Jones, Luis Abregu, Selcuk Aydin or even Randal Bailey.

    Damn is that your easy polishing up list?! Mike Jones is a good boxer with enough power to keep you honest, that is actually a great move up fight for Thurman, Bailey would be great to see just to see if Thurman has any glaring holes in his defense, but Aydin and Abregu are some killers I think those two guys crush the guys I mentioned in Kirkland and Angulo.

    They would all be pretty awesome fights.
    Fair assesment... I can see your points.
    I think you might be underestimating Angulo just a little bit.
    Jones in my eyes is nothing but a brawler. Soto-Karass gave him hell.

    Thinking about it some more you know who would be a good matchup for him.
    David Lopez now that would be a good fight.
    There's also someone like Grady Brewer who's always a good test for up an comers.
    How about that one boxer that looks bipolar who fought on Showtime several times. Harry something. His name escapes me at the moment.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antelope Valley, California
    Posts
    5,048
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    460
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    One Time seems to be an KO artist. I say "seems" because Carlos was scared before he did his ring walk. Wasn't really much of a fight. Nonetheless, Keith did what he had to do.

    If you was Al Haymon on Keith Thurman advisor, how would you guide his career for 2013 and/or 2014?


    Thoughts??
    Have to agree with the majority, he's a good puncher with good instincts, but seems to need work on his boxing and defence.
    It could be that he just has an awkward style that makes him look unpolished, but he definitely takes too many punches.
    He seems to be in a hurry, so trying to bring him along steadily but cautiously is not going to work. So many names have been mentioned and Thurman said he's calling out all of boxing at 147 or 154 so let's set back and enjoy the ride. It's going to be fun.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,270
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1000
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Lots of good calls so far, I thought he did look to have legit power but it's hard to make much else out given Quintana was more or less there for a paycheck.

    If he really believes in his power I think Brandon Rios would be a perfect test of just where he stands. If you can't beat that guy you'll never be a legitimate world level guy, boxer or puncher imo.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,797
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1635
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    I think CMM is right, a few more learning fights before he goes in with Angulo/Kirkland level fighters. I want to see Angulo fight Kirkland again anyway.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach CA
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1038
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Needs a lot of polishing still...

    I don't think he's ready for the top guys.
    I'd have him fight someone like:
    Mike Jones, Luis Abregu, Selcuk Aydin or even Randal Bailey.

    Damn is that your easy polishing up list?! Mike Jones is a good boxer with enough power to keep you honest, that is actually a great move up fight for Thurman, Bailey would be great to see just to see if Thurman has any glaring holes in his defense, but Aydin and Abregu are some killers I think those two guys crush the guys I mentioned in Kirkland and Angulo.

    They would all be pretty awesome fights.
    Fair assesment... I can see your points.
    I think you might be underestimating Angulo just a little bit.
    Jones in my eyes is nothing but a brawler. Soto-Karass gave him hell.

    Thinking about it some more you know who would be a good matchup for him.
    David Lopez now that would be a good fight.
    There's also someone like Grady Brewer who's always a good test for up an comers.
    How about that one boxer that looks bipolar who fought on Showtime several times. Harry something. His name escapes me at the moment.
    You know what you just uncovered another great fight, Soto Karass Vs Thurman in all out Brawl. That one ends pretty quickly, Im pretty sure Thurman takes him out but it would be fun while it lasted.
    The key is Self-discipline.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,303
    Mentioned
    1406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2656
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Keith Thurman?!? If You Was Al Haymon . . .

    I take it back what I said about him. I watched him against Lora and again against Quintana and he is a good puncher with excellent foot work. He could go all the way, I would like to see him at welterweight which he says would make him even more explosive because of the smaller gloves.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Naim Terbunja signs with Al Haymon
    By Kampioni in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
  3. Al Haymon Article ( PICTURE INCLUDED)
    By Lance Uppercut in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
  4. Al Haymon
    By Lance Uppercut in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM
  5. Keith Jardine
    By Hulk in forum Mixed Martial Arts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing