Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ex'way to your Skull
    Posts
    23,855
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1134
    Cool Clicks

    Default Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,870
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2084
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    I think their have been a few hws. Who hot as hard as earnie , he was a small hw compared to the guys of today.
    Hardest puncher of his time for sure.him and foreman

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ex'way to your Skull
    Posts
    23,855
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1134
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Yeah Foreman hit harder

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,621
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    315
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    His CV is a sight to behold. Like 7/8 really good names, even a couple wins over really good names and like 80 bums. I don't mean like how a guy loses 1 fight and we call them a bum today but guys that are like 2-24 type bums. Records were different back then, a guy could be 24-15 and be a decent fighter, of course not every guy 24-15 was but some were and were just in hard again and again. But in any era a guy that is 0-7 is a bum.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ex'way to your Skull
    Posts
    23,855
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1134
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    His CV is a sight to behold. Like 7/8 really good names, even a couple wins over really good names and like 80 bums. I don't mean like how a guy loses 1 fight and we call them a bum today but guys that are like 2-24 type bums. Records were different back then, a guy could be 24-15 and be a decent fighter, of course not every guy 24-15 was but some were and were just in hard again and again. But in any era a guy that is 0-7 is a bum.
    At the age of 36 Earnie Shavers belted the living hell out of Muhammad Ali's skull and a lot of people think he won that fight on points including me. So now you're calling Muhammad Ali a bum? You're calling Larry Holmes a bum? Earnie Shavers the black Acorn Destroyer would knock your ass from here to Saturn.

    " Earnie Shavers hits so hard he could turn camel piss to gasoline."

    _--Tex Cobb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    7,402
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1481
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    He landed some proper shots on Ali which would have floored most heavyweights and they wouldn’t have got up. Was out on his feet at the end of the fight.

    How Holmes got up remains a mystery to this day
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    52,545
    Mentioned
    1284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2585
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    He landed some proper shots on Ali which would have floored most heavyweights and they wouldn’t have got up. Was out on his feet at the end of the fight.

    How Holmes got up remains a mystery to this day
    That shows how great Ali and Holmes chins were.

    Shavers, for a small heavyweight, must hit pound for pound harder than any boxer at any weight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,519
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    150
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Shavers was a hell of a puncher.
    “Excess in moderation.”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,621
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    315
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    His CV is a sight to behold. Like 7/8 really good names, even a couple wins over really good names and like 80 bums. I don't mean like how a guy loses 1 fight and we call them a bum today but guys that are like 2-24 type bums. Records were different back then, a guy could be 24-15 and be a decent fighter, of course not every guy 24-15 was but some were and were just in hard again and again. But in any era a guy that is 0-7 is a bum.
    At the age of 36 Earnie Shavers belted the living hell out of Muhammad Ali's skull and a lot of people think he won that fight on points including me. So now you're calling Muhammad Ali a bum? You're calling Larry Holmes a bum? Earnie Shavers the black Acorn Destroyer would knock your ass from here to Saturn.

    " Earnie Shavers hits so hard he could turn camel piss to gasoline."

    _--Tex Cobb
    Can you read? Because it seems like you didn't read what I wrote at all. I didn't say All was a bum, didn't say Holmes was a bum

    Lee Roy who never won a fight, bum
    Chico Froncana who never won a fight, bum
    Jim Daniels who never won a fight, bum
    Nat Shaved who never won a fight, bum
    Frank Smith who never won a fight, bum
    Young Agabab who never won a fight, bum
    Ted Wadkins who never won a fight, bum
    Phil Clinard who never won a fight, bum

    That's just the guys that never won a fight, and these are early, middle late in career skipping mentioning the 1-27-2 types which I'm sure you know are bums

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,870
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2084
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Holmes and clay were not big launchers , so Earnie could bang away at will , fact is he had a glass jaw and was beaten by most good hws he fought. Norton was glass jawed and went goodbye against foreman and Cooney.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    52,545
    Mentioned
    1284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2585
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Holmes and clay were not big launchers , so Earnie could bang away at will , fact is he had a glass jaw and was beaten by most good hws he fought. Norton was glass jawed and went goodbye against foreman and Cooney.
    Most fighters would be considered to have a glass jaw hey faced Foreman and Cooney.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    236
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century


  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,870
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2084
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Earnie Shavers - Puncher of the Century

    I see he also got hit by 17 stone Lennox Lewis , 17 stone Vitali KLitchko, etc.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Muhammad Ali vs. Earnie Shavers ~ "Round 2 > All Earnie"
    By Bill Paxtom in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 05:53 PM
  2. Replies: 164
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 04:41 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 08:31 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 05:37 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing