Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,643
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    418
    Cool Clicks

    Default Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Errol Spence looked devastating last night. His opponent wasn't great, but still the way he was taken out so quickly was very impressive.

    However, I think he may have the same problem as prime Golovkin had for a few years, being avoided by top contenders.

    Will Crawford, Thurman and Garcia be willing to fight Spence in the future? Sadly, I think Arum will protect Crawford, and the other two will simply avoid Spence.

    I'd love to see Crawford vs. Spence.

    Last edited by Freedom; 06-18-2018 at 11:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,517
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    303
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Think Spence is already in that boat.

    GGG was only avoided by Martinez and Cotto, Canelo just waited him out. It’s hard to call it avoiding when Canelo has agreed to the fight 3 times now. But waiting, sure.

    Where as Spence has been calling out the top guys(Thurman specifically )since 2015. We’re at year 4, already longer than Canelo waited out GGG

    Bone spurs is a condition, not an injury as claimed. Surgery is elective. And he chose to time the surgery specifically to avoid. He knew no matter who won Brook/Spence people would call for him to fight the winner, that’s why he chose to have the surgery the week of that fight. It’s no coincidence he had spurs for years and chose to have surgery that week

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51,270
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2558
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Triple G was avoided by Strum who was champion at the title but was elevated to super shit pants champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,517
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    303
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51,270
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2558
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only
    Golovkin was number 1 for years waiting.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,517
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    303
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only
    Golovkin was number 1 for years waiting.
    Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.

    I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.

    Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51,270
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2558
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only
    Golovkin was number 1 for years waiting.
    Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.

    I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.

    Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.
    If you are going up the rankings and are aiming for one of the champions then you do have to wait for him.

    Of course in hindsight Golovkin could have gone for another champion but it is like waiting for a bus, you have invested the time that you do not want to take another route.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,517
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    303
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only
    Golovkin was number 1 for years waiting.
    Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.

    I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.

    Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.
    If you are going up the rankings and are aiming for one of the champions then you do have to wait for him.

    Of course in hindsight Golovkin could have gone for another champion but it is like waiting for a bus, you have invested the time that you do not want to take another route.
    For the life of me I can’t figure out your point. Sturm, who cares about Sturm? GGG had been a champion for 4 years and unified before he fought a world level MW in Matthew Maklin, who had lost 2/3 coming into the fight. Hardly a hard luck situation. At this same time he could have raised his profile by fighting Ward. He chose to pursue only MW, except for JCC Jr he would move, no only MW, except for retired Froch, only MW, except for years earlier he said he would move up for Steiglitz, no only MW, anyone from 154-175, wait when 175 people say okay, 154-168, wait when Ward says let’s do it only MW. Perhaps some of the fault should fall to GGG and his mixed messages. That still happen to this day, remember last year he still said his goal was all the belts, why didn’t he pursue “his goal”? If you say many things then don’t follow up on what you say you should be held responsible for it.

    GGG is a great champion but him playing the victim, or more accurately you playing him as the victim is laughable. He had chances and balked on what he said his goals were repeatedly. Let him be a great fighter, don’t play the victim for him, it’s weak.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51,270
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2558
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    I am not making excuses for Golovkin he is going to make a record number of defences so has done well considering Sturm avoiding him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,517
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    303
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I am not making excuses for Golovkin he is going to make a record number of defences so has done well considering Sturm avoiding him.
    Well, someone will have to do some serious digging if non major title defenses count because if they count for GGG they should count for everyone.

    I just hope after this Canelo train wreck is over he fights some of the best in the division because that’s the fighter I wanted him to be. Line em up, nobody is avoiding him now. Let’s see greatness, that’s what we watch sports for.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,689
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    287
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    The division has been avoiding Spence for a couple of years. Thurman has completely avoided him while Porter and Garcia only talk each other or a Thurman rematch. Supposedly Spence said he is willing to fight Vargas if those two don’t want him. It’s about the next best fight he could take.

    Honestly, I wouldn’t mind him fighting Broner just because I think that Spence could be the guy to stop him and end his career. I’m also wondering if the winner of the Pacquiao and Matthysse fight will get into the mix.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,737
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1049
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Sturm(haha, my phone auto corrected to Strum too) was a champion like Lemieux was a champion, on paper only
    Golovkin was number 1 for years waiting.
    Waiting for Sturm? I’m not sure why anyone would care about Sturm. A Sturm win doesn’t change GGGs CV much. Sturm was basically a European champion that had a world belt or 3.I’m sure you have figured out my moniker on the other site. You can find me in a thread I believe titled “Other than Martinez who is best at MW” where I said I thought GGG was the best at the weight including Martinez. This was when GGG was largely unknown and Martinez had just picked up his belt, before hiding.Some day people will realize these belts don’t mean much. In the end fighters are remembered for who they fought. The 4 horsemen are the 4 horsemen for fighting each other.
    If you are going up the rankings and are aiming for one of the champions then you do have to wait for him. Of course in hindsight Golovkin could have gone for another champion but it is like waiting for a bus, you have invested the time that you do not want to take another route.
    Good analogy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    35,361
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4599
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Bit of a loaded title to start avoiding him right away isn't it . The good thing is Porter, Garcia, Thurman and Spence jr are at least lining up on Showtime...network means a lot...within little over a month from each other. If anything it may be Crawford who Arum helps freeze out from 3 other PBC champs. I doubt and really hope they don't maneuver Spence into another 'homecoming' showcase like last night. I get it but when Jerry Jones has more time in the ring with him than the opponent did they cannot make that habit. Thurman will take his TBA and surely disappear until 2019 if of course he doesn't break a nail. To me Spence jr v Crawford is all that matters.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,498
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    359
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Unlike GGG he is American which would likely mean bigger money fights. I think they will all avoid each other until there is a big payday on offer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,145
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    423
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Will Spence be avoided like Golovkin was?

    Spence is gonna get his fights. I feel he will test Canelo one day within the next two years. Crawford will also be in the offing, but I feel it is not ripe yet to make mega bucks.

    Thurman, Garcia, Andrade and Charlo are also fights that can be made. Porter too.

    I don't see Porter ducking Spence. I also think Garcia would take the fight for the right amount of money. The Crawford fight is a MUST happen, more so than a Thurman fight.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. The most avoided fighters list for 2014
    By smashup in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 08:37 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
  3. Ajose Olusegun: Is he really MR AVOIDED
    By leftylee in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 02:17 AM
  4. The Most Avoided Boxer of all Time??
    By Dav in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
  5. O’Donnell: Britain’s most avoided
    By smashup in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing