Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Retirement..age vs mileage?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    677
    Cool Clicks

    Default Retirement..age vs mileage?

    You like to think that around 35 is the age that the majority of fighters think about retiring from the game.

    Let’s talk about age vs mileage and who you think has had so many tough fights he should consider retirement now.

    Khan is showing signs of slurring his words and has fought some tough competition in his time..he is 31.

    Groves has had some seriously tough career ending fights..he is 30.

    Anymore names that should be pulled aside and told to give it up?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,017
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    310
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Depends on weight class. Generally the HWs nowadays are prime years by the time the little guys are calling it quits.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    53,409
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2605
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Age is not as important factor as how many boxing rounds a fighter has done. Amateur bouts also take a lot out of a fighter.

    A lot of the time the fighter is hitting the peak of his financial potential when they are past their physical peak but have to continue because they have worked so hard to get to that position.

    Golovkin comes to mind.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    417
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    I feel that it is boxer dependent more than anything. Sometimes punishment is worse, for say meldrick taylor (after JCC fight). Other times it is an age thing, where Mike McCallum started to lose and be less effective as he got older. Some fighters like Glen Johnson actually improve as they get older, but I think most of those fighters had limited amateur careers and take some time to figure things out. Limiting punishment and staying in top shape can extend a career, as Hop n Floyd have proven. Both of those guys have great genetics also though, so I feel they are the exception and not the rule. The last two factors to me are weight fluctuations (up and down), and just rising too high in weight. Roy and Chris Byrd are examples of guys who went up and down at a point in their careers and seemed to lose something. Mayorga and Vince Phillips are examples of guys who were good at a specific weight (147,140) but ineffective at anything higher.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    53,409
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2605
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    High octane fighters like Tyson and Hatton will fade quicker than their opposites.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    417
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    High octane fighters like Tyson and Hatton will fade quicker than their opposites.
    Agree, but find it interesting that Manny is still pretty good despite being a high octane guy who fought killers throughout his career. He is more the exception though, as the two you named as well as Aaron Pryor, John Mugabi and many others have proven over the years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    53,409
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2605
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    High octane fighters like Tyson and Hatton will fade quicker than their opposites.
    Agree, but find it interesting that Manny is still pretty good despite being a high octane guy who fought killers throughout his career. He is more the exception though, as the two you named as well as Aaron Pryor, John Mugabi and many others have proven over the years.
    You have to admit that Manny has slowed down quite a bit now. Still world class but just below the very best.

    Old Manny Pac could live with Spence and Crawford quite easily.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    56,396
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2898
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Pressure fighters age out quicker than most...Tyson, Hatton, Joe Frazier, Floyd Patterson, Aaron Pryor....those are the fighters with all the moving pieces and who take damage to inflict punishment of their own. At age 27-29 they slow down a great deal.

    Guys who can hit and not get hit last longer.....guys who can absorb punishment can last even longer depending on who they are fighting. Ali took a lot of damage, James Toney, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe even...they lasted long stretches, but their health has/will suffer because of it.



    I think you've got so many punches, so many rounds, so much damage you can take over an amount of time and there's only so much you can heal up afterwards. I think you have to take it on a fighter by fighter basis...look at Willie Pep, fought 241 fights and was still fresh as a daisy because he rarely got hit and then you've got 'The American Dream' David Reid who only fought 19 total bouts because ptosis and other eye troubles namely Tito Trinidad detatching his retina because Tito hit him hard and often, and he had eye troubles since the Olympic trials.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,264
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    170
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Depends on the fighter really, I've always believed that everyone tends to lose a step around 28, in all types of sport.

    For boxing you need to add in gym wars/ sparring, style, knockouts or wars. Then genetics comes into it and lifestyle. Many factors contribute.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    36,283
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4633
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    I think mileage, wear and tear and it's quality have more to do with it than age. The thing is I think it's a minority of boxers that can actually choose to retire. Age and time pass as the young just try to get another taste of the once big checks and large venues with a belt and ultimately it's the mileage and reputation for it that keeps them in. Next thing you know you're Livingstone Bramble or Demarcus Corley. Many many guys today who are flirting with one tough war too many but the 'name' trumps common sense in match making and we see them again, Juan M Lopez, Mike Alvarado, Soto Karass, Adamek, Orlando Cruz, Brandon Rios are doing nothing but collecting damage and should already be out. Guys like Hopkins looked at age and mastered-manipulated it and it feels literally had two completely separate but successful careers. I guess you can say the same for Foreman who made age a selling point and proved that walking away before 30 and actually maturing and growing wise with age breathes life into a second career. A head like a oak tree stump and concussive right-left also helped.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    382
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think mileage, wear and tear and it's quality have more to do with it than age. The thing is I think it's a minority of boxers that can actually choose to retire. Age and time pass as the young just try to get another taste of the once big checks and large venues with a belt and ultimately it's the mileage and reputation for it that keeps them in. Next thing you know you're Livingstone Bramble or Demarcus Corley. Many many guys today who are flirting with one tough war too many but the 'name' trumps common sense in match making and we see them again, Juan M Lopez, Mike Alvarado, Soto Karass, Adamek, Orlando Cruz, Brandon Rios are doing nothing but collecting damage and should already be out. Guys like Hopkins looked at age and mastered-manipulated it and it feels literally had two completely separate but successful careers. I guess you can say the same for Foreman who made age a selling point and proved that walking away before 30 and actually maturing and growing wise with age breathes life into a second career. A head like a oak tree stump and concussive right-left also helped.
    I personally feel Old Foreman was superior to Young Foreman, and that he would have demolished any version of Tyson

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    53,409
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2605
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think mileage, wear and tear and it's quality have more to do with it than age. The thing is I think it's a minority of boxers that can actually choose to retire. Age and time pass as the young just try to get another taste of the once big checks and large venues with a belt and ultimately it's the mileage and reputation for it that keeps them in. Next thing you know you're Livingstone Bramble or Demarcus Corley. Many many guys today who are flirting with one tough war too many but the 'name' trumps common sense in match making and we see them again, Juan M Lopez, Mike Alvarado, Soto Karass, Adamek, Orlando Cruz, Brandon Rios are doing nothing but collecting damage and should already be out. Guys like Hopkins looked at age and mastered-manipulated it and it feels literally had two completely separate but successful careers. I guess you can say the same for Foreman who made age a selling point and proved that walking away before 30 and actually maturing and growing wise with age breathes life into a second career. A head like a oak tree stump and concussive right-left also helped.
    I personally feel Old Foreman was superior to Young Foreman, and that he would have demolished any version of Tyson
    Old Foreman had the experience and intelligence to pace himself but not the physicality that youth would have given him. Add the 2 together and you get the near perfect heavyweight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,790
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    962
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Some good points. I’d think of it as being less about mileage, as punishment taken, and individuals genetics and brain chemistry. For someone like Hopkins, obviously he was better at 35 than 45, but he was able to use the mileage as experience, adapt his style and stay effective. Lots of guys have been like that. Obviously not being badly hurt along the way helps immensely. Someone like Foreman was just a freak of nature, but maybe the long layoff helped his body/brain recover. Whether guys are actually being concussed, and how their brain responds to that is paramount. It often happens in sparring and we never hear about it. It is a complex thing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    703
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    382
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Yo can we talk about Archie Moore for a second

    Dude was a legitimate boxing genius

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,790
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    962
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Retirement..age vs mileage?

    Dog, that cat lost to Muhammad Ali, who was a novice and needed help from the corner to beat Henry Cooper around the same time. He wasn’t ish bruh. Fought lots of guys with losing records when he had over 100 fights. Could have never competed with Charlie Z, much less AB.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Floyd's retirement
    By Hughesd in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
  2. Mayweather's Retirement
    By C-Lo in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
  3. What is everyone's gas mileage?
    By Douglas in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 04:42 AM
  5. Sam Soliman after retirement...
    By PRIDE OF BOSTON in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 12:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing