Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103

Thread: Gervonta Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,452
    Mentioned
    1407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2661
    Cool Clicks

    Default Gervonta Davis vs. Hugo Ruiz

    Abner Mares looks to silence doubters with win over Gervonta Davis

    LOS ANGELES — If Thursday’s press conference downtown at the Conga Room is any indication, Abner Mares won’t struggle to add four pounds when he squares off against Gervonta Davis. He’s carrying at minimum a four-pound chip on his shoulder.

    Mares looks to add his name to a short list of Mexican-born fighters to win titles in four different divisions when he meets Davis for a 130-pound clash Feb. 9 in Carson, California on Showtime. He would join Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Jorge Arce as the only to do it, likely punching his ticket to Canastota, New York as a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Mares didn’t just pick a guy with a belt — he picked who many consider the guy at 130 pounds in Davis. This will be the longest-odds underdog Mares has ever been.



    When questions opened up to the throng of reporters who attended the press conference, one asked Davis for a prediction on what round he would knock Mares out in. That really annoyed Mares, as evidenced by his response when asked by Sporting News if a win over Davis would be the biggest of his career.

    “Oh, definitely, because this is a fight where a lot of people are doubting me, like the gentleman that just asked that one dumb question,” Mares said. “This is a fight where I’m going to prove people wrong and shut the doubters [up].”

    At the conclusion of the press conference, Mares opened up about why he was bothered by someone suggesting Davis knocking him out is basically a formality.

    “That really bothered me, I didn’t know who that was,” Mares said. “You come to a press conference to get things from the fighters, not just hey what round are you gonna knock him out in. That’s just disrespectful, I saw it as disrespectful to me that I would be here in the same room. With this one, they’re just — period — they’re counting me out because of his power, because of his youth, because of his strength. They’re counting me out.”

    He added: “And does it bother me? Yes, it bothers me. You know how I was gonna start the press conference? I was gonna start it like this — ‘Hello, my name is Abner Mares, ex-Olympian, ex-bantamweight, super bantamweight, featherweight champion.’ You know why? To remind people of what I’ve done. People I think they forgot the type of adversity and styles I’ve been up against and they think this is something new, which it’s not. It’s just another fight for me.”

    In what is becoming less and less of an anomaly as 2018 turns to 2019, a fight that the fans have been clamoring for will come to fruition. Mares is correct that people are forgetting his accolades. He overcame the odds in winning Showtime’s bantamweight tournament, and even followed up a controversial win over Joseph Agbeko in the finals with a clear win in their rematch. He beat long-avoided champion Anselmo Moreno when he moved up and faced the best No. 1 featherweight in the world in Leo Santa Cruz, coming up short, but in competitive bouts.

    It’s what got under Mares’s skin Thursday. He has never turned down a tough challenge — this isn’t new for the 33-year-old fighter.

    “We're not just going into this fight blind. I'm not stupid,” Mares said. “I'm taking this fight because I see something in this guy. It's a tough fight, no doubt. All fights are tough. He's in for a good fight. At the end of the day, you guys have to stop worrying about my weight and if I'm too small. You guys are going to get a great fight and that's all that matters. Sit back, look pretty and enjoy the fight.”

    Mares also has trainer Robert Garcia in his corner. Garcia will lead a corner in five world title bouts over the course of 49 days, beginning with Josesito Lopez against Keith Thurman on Jan. 26 on FOX in Brooklyn. Garcia won’t corner that fight because it’s his daughter’s quinceañera.

    Mares isn’t nearly as big of an underdog as Lopez, but will still likely be a two- or three-to-one underdog when they met Feb. 9. Garcia will then drive three-plus hours to Fresno for Jose Ramirez’s 140-pound title defense the next night on ESPN. The trainer will work IBF 105-pound champ Carlos Licona’s corner Feb. 16 on the Leo Santa Cruz-Miguel Flores undercard. It all culminates in Mikey Garcia’s bold challenge of Errol Spence on Mar. 16 on FOX pay-per-view.

    For 99.9 percent of boxing trainers, this would be way too much. But this isn’t Garcia’s first rodeo with this kind of scheduling. There’s a reason Jose Ramirez said Freddie Roach always seemed too busy to work with him and Ramirez opted to go to Garcia and it has worked.

    “I love doing this,” Garcia told Sporting News. “I love these challenges. I love having five title fights back-to-back within 49 days. It just motivates me. I have a great team also. I have a beautiful family that supports me and is with me 100 percent. So all that makes it easier.”

    Mares isn’t the only one with a chip on his shoulder. His trainer feels the same way — queue Roy Jones Jr.’s “Y’all Must Have Forgot.”

    “This motivates me. Especially with three that nobody gives us a chance. We were in that situation with Brandon [Rios] when he faced [Lamont] Peterson, nobody gave us a chance,” Garcia said. “He beat the s— out of him. Maidana did the same thing [against Broner]. Abner has been through it with Cuellar. Still, now, people still don’t give us a shot. It doesn’t bother me, but it does make you go, ‘Damn, when the f— are people going to believe in my work?’”

    Garcia has been with Mares for a number of fights now and it’s clear the two are very fond of each other. Mares doesn’t sound worried that his trainer will be spread too thin between now and this very important fight of his.

    “We'll already have 50 percent of the fight won just by having a good corner, a good team and a great plan,” Mares said. “The other 50 percent is up to the fighter to perform. One thing is having the game plan in your mind, but it's another thing to go out there and perform that game plan.”

    Garcia added: “We’ve been working for a few years already and Abner’s a listener. That was probably the first thing that was in my mind when I started working with him. He’s a world champion that has accomplished a lot, but he still drives to my gym every day. He listens, he trains at the time I tell him to train. He’s a listener. He wants to get better. Everybody else [I’m working with], they’re all happy. I’m going to be training with Josesito, but I’m gonna be with Abner every day until his fight. Same thing with Josesito, same thing with Jose Ramirez.”

    Garcia is basically working 10-hour days at the gym. On Thursday, he knew he had the press conference for Mares and Davis and went to the gym beforehand to work with Jose Ramirez. A typical day has Garcia working with Mares at 10 a.m. Then it’s Ramirez at noon, Lopez at 2 p.m., and Mikey at 4 p.m. His younger, less experienced fighters find sparring within the group of top guys Garcia works with and get their work in during that time.

    The criticism of many top trainers have been their propensity for adding to their stable, while still trying to maintain the same hours they had with just one top guy. But Garcia isn’t that guy. It’s why Garcia is up as a nominee for Trainer of the Year in numerous publications.

    A win for Mares would be undoubtedly the signature victory of his career. Many are comparing Davis to a young Mayweather and it’s no surprise he has Floyd Jr. and Leonard Ellerbe helping guide his career alongside Al Haymon. It would mean a whole lot more than if Mares tried cherry-picking a title off one of the other titleholders at the weight. It would certainly be a feather in the cap for Garcia, too.

    In a sport where there’s fewer and fewer guys who care more about legacy than anything else, Abner Mares is a breath of fresh air. His voice stands out amongst the guys who say, ‘I let my team decide the next course of action’ by saying he wanted Davis and nobody else. It’s what will leave a lasting impression amongst boxing fans long after he decides to hang them up.

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/abn...214918629.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    57,358
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2944
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Mares is a tough fighter, he hasn't achieved what I thought he would but he's done well.

    Davis will stop him
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,534
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    347
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    I’ve always been a big fan of Mares, but he is just too small

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6,169
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    212
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’ve always been a big fan of Mares, but he is just too small
    #Metoo

    Mares at 118 was an excellent fighter. Size, age and damage taken put Mares at a major disadvantage in this one.
    They live, We sleep

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,534
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    347
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’ve always been a big fan of Mares, but he is just too small
    #Metoo

    Mares at 118 was an excellent fighter. Size, age and damage taken put Mares at a major disadvantage in this one.
    Mares fell victim to what a lot of small fighters do. He is forced to move up in weight because he is too small to be recognized, so he creates a big disadvantage for himself in order to get recognition.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    477
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Mares is a tough fighter, he hasn't achieved what I thought he would but he's done well.

    Davis will stop him
    Yup. And the stoppage will be brutal before the 5th.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    37,826
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4686
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Can we once and for all stop using "multi division champ" and "historical" in the same sentence . Size won't matter half as much as Mares inability to maintain range and match speed with Davis. I wouldn't mind seeing Davis dropped on his wallet though. Two fighters going in opposite directions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18,799
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1575
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Tank should and probably will smash him to bits if his inactivity hasn't stsrted to take it's toll physically.
    He still young so should be ok.
    My favourite break through fighter of the past 5 years is Davis but it's so frustrating to see him wasting time.
    Seems ages ago he came to London and beat the shit out of Walsh.
    I still think Davis is one fighter who can stop Lomachenko 👊🏻😉

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    477
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Tank should and probably will smash him to bits if his inactivity hasn't stsrted to take it's toll physically.
    He still young so should be ok.
    My favourite break through fighter of the past 5 years is Davis but it's so frustrating to see him wasting time.
    Seems ages ago he came to London and beat the shit out of Walsh.
    I still think Davis is one fighter who can stop Lomachenko 👊🏻😉
    That Davis v Loma fight IS the next, big PPV fight outside of Crawford v Spence and Wilder v Joshua.

    But Oscar DLH said the days of PPV are dead. I still wanna know where the money is in this free to view mega fight system? I just don't know?!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,452
    Mentioned
    1407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2661
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Abner Mares forced to withdraw from Feb. 9 Gervonta Davis title bout; Hugo Ruiz fills in on short notice

    One of boxing's top fights to begin 2019 is no more.

    Former three-division world champion Abner Mares suffered a right elbow injury in training and was forced to bow out of his scheduled bout on Feb. 9 against WBA "super" super featherweight champion Gervonta Davis. BoxingTalk.com was the first to report the news. Davis will still headline the show and face former super bantamweight champion Hugo Ruiz from the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif.

    Davis (20-0, 19 KOs), one of boxing's exciting young stars, will defend his belt and return for the first time since demolishing Jesus Cuellar in three rounds back in April.



    Ruiz (39-4, 33 KOs) won the WBC title back in February 2016 when he stopped Julio Ceja. The 30-year-old has won three consecutive fights. He just competed on the Manny Pacquiao-Adrien Broner undercard in January and defeated Alberto Guevara by unanimous decision. 18 of Ruiz's 33 knockouts have come in the first round.

    "I trained for three months to fight a southpaw when I fought in January," Ruiz said in a press release. "When the opponent changed, it was hard to adjust in 24 hours. After the fight I immediately went back to the gym, because you never know what's going to happen in boxing. I'm 100 percent ready to knockout Gervonta Davis."

    Mares (31-3-1, 15 KOs) was looking to avenge his June loss to Leo Santa Cruz and would have been making his debut at super featherweight. The 33-year-old was upset with not being able to compete in his home state.

    "I'm not going to sugarcoat this. I'm disappointed and devastated that I've injured my right elbow in sparring,'' Mares said in the same press release. "This is something that I haven't had happen to me during my career and the feeling is just horrible. I will be going to see my doctor about this and am prepared to follow whatever recommendations and rehab that gets me back into the ring. I'm healthy, not afraid of doing the work and I will be back. This is a temporary setback. Don't count me out.''

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/abn...191941756.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    37,826
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4686
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Well it was at least a little interesting. Davis just cannot get any career traction. Ruiz just fought 3 weeks ago and coming up in weight. Decent matches with Bogere v Fortuna and Lubin v Smith.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,534
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    347
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Well it was at least a little interesting. Davis just cannot get any career traction. Ruiz just fought 3 weeks ago and coming up in weight. Decent matches with Bogere v Fortuna and Lubin v Smith.
    I thought that Ruiz just fought but I assumed I was wrong. That’s a really quick turnaround

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,452
    Mentioned
    1407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2661
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Abner Mares reveals detached retina forced him out of fight against Gervonta Davis

    When Abner Mares pulled out of his fight against Gervonta Davis last week, citing an elbow injury, the response was critical. Social media trolls and even Davis himself accused Mares of lying about the injury, so Mares decided to set the record straight on FOX’s "Inside PBC Boxing" on Sunday afternoon (full disclosure: I work as a writer and researcher for the show), revealing it was more serious than anyone knew.

    Mares (31-3-1, 15 knockouts) confirmed in the show’s final segment that the elbow injury wasn’t the real reason for pulling out of the fight. Mares actually suffered a detached retina in his right eye, a much more serious and potentially career-threatening injury.



    “I do have a bad elbow, but not that bad to cancel the fight,” Mares told Inside PBC Boxing host Kate Abdo in an emotional one-on-one interview. “I mainly said elbow because I was afraid. I didn't want people to know about my eye. I said if I tell people about my eye, people are gonna think that’s it, he’s not fighting anymore, it’s a red flag. I don’t know, I was scared honestly. I was scared to let the people know that I’m going through this. I don’t want people to see me as handicapped. I don’t want people to feel that I can’t fight anymore because I know I can. I just wanted to hide it. No one knew. I just recently told my manager and my promoter, no one knew. Only my family members and it was hard.”

    The former three-division champion revealed that he suffered the injury in sparring on Wednesday, Jan. 23. He underwent emergency retinal detachment surgery on Jan. 30 at San Gabriel Hospital.

    “I was seeing flashes, and I couldn’t see from here up,” Mares said in a video feature that preceded the interview. Mares then said his wife made him go see the doctor.

    “I got hit in the eye,” Mares told Abdo. “I felt the pain, but I went through it. I still sparred. I came back on Friday for another sparring session, I got hit again. It’s a contact sport. And my eye got super red. And it was that Friday and Saturday where I started seeing clouds and just blurred vision and I told my wife and my wife was like, ‘You got to get it checked.’ I said, 'No, I’m good.' So, Monday came and I was gonna go to the gym. I had another sparring session ready for Monday. But my wife insisted to go see the doctor. So, she won and I went to the doctor. … He said, 'Abner, you have a detached retina. You’re not gonna be able to fight.'"

    This is the second time Mares has suffered a detached retina in his career. The first time he suffered a detached retina, it was for his right eye in 2008. It knocked him off the undercard of Bernard Hopkins’s victory over Kelly Pavlik and was while Mares was still a rising bantamweight contender. He’s since gone on to win four world titles in three divisions and establish himself as one of the best-credentialed fighters of the last decade.

    That eye injury has only kept Mares out of the ring once. He was set to face Jesus Cuellar in New York in June of 2016, but the New York State Athletic Commission wouldn’t approve Mares due to his eye history. He eventually beat Cuellar in Los Angeles that December, earning the WBA regular featherweight belt. Mares has fought in states such as California and Nevada, which are pretty strict when it comes to licensing. New York operates at the strictest levels.

    Though Mares said he is confident he will fight again, he leaves his career in the hands of his doctors, saying that he will accept retirement if he’s told it’s best to stay out of the ring.

    “My doctor is one of the best and if he says Abner, you’re good to go, I’m going to up there and continue to become a world champion once again,” Mares told Abdo. “And if he says no, I’m ready for retirement. But I honestly feel I’m gonna come back and I’m gonna conquer that and become a world champion once again.”

    It was stirring to see a fighter like Mares use the PBC’s show on FOX to address his injury. One thing that was hard to watch was Mares talking about how much it hurt him to see the fans criticizing him for pulling out of the fight.

    “[It was] more devastating knowing that when the fight was announced canceled, the messages I was receiving from people saying that I was a fake, that I was faking an injury, that it was a way to pull out of the fight when in reality people didn’t know the pain what I was going through,” Mares explained. “I’m not that type of person, I’m not that type of fighter. I always fight. I called out Davis, I wanted him. He direct messaged me saying the same thing, ‘Why did you have to fake the injury?’ That really boiled me up. I responded back, and it’s been a tough week.”

    Mares was set to face Davis in the Showtime-televised main event this Saturday as he lobbied for his fourth-divisional title, which would put him amongst Mexican greats like Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales. At 33 years of age, Mares was likely on the back-nine of his career, but was going after someone many consider the best super featherweight in the world in Davis.

    “Let me tell you — it must’ve sounded stupid then — but I remember telling my eye doctor, ‘Let me fight this one fight. I don’t care if I go blind.’ And the doctor got really mad and he said, ‘Abner, you’re stupid. I’m never gonna let you fight like this,’" Mares said. "But that was how bad I wanted to fight. I really wanted to fight on Saturday. I wanted to fight Gervonta. I know I could beat this guy. I know I could win. I trained really hard this week. I was pretty much done with camp, but things happen for a reason.”

    Let’s all hope Mares makes a speedy recovery, and whatever the result, he chooses the best option for his long-term health. Real boxing fans know that Abner Mares has never ducked a challenge, and you can put his resume up there against any active fighter and it stands up pretty damn well.

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/abn...185302778.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,517
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    477
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Abner Mares reveals detached retina forced him out of fight against Gervonta Davis

    When Abner Mares pulled out of his fight against Gervonta Davis last week, citing an elbow injury, the response was critical. Social media trolls and even Davis himself accused Mares of lying about the injury, so Mares decided to set the record straight on FOX’s "Inside PBC Boxing" on Sunday afternoon (full disclosure: I work as a writer and researcher for the show), revealing it was more serious than anyone knew.

    Mares (31-3-1, 15 knockouts) confirmed in the show’s final segment that the elbow injury wasn’t the real reason for pulling out of the fight. Mares actually suffered a detached retina in his right eye, a much more serious and potentially career-threatening injury.



    “I do have a bad elbow, but not that bad to cancel the fight,” Mares told Inside PBC Boxing host Kate Abdo in an emotional one-on-one interview. “I mainly said elbow because I was afraid. I didn't want people to know about my eye. I said if I tell people about my eye, people are gonna think that’s it, he’s not fighting anymore, it’s a red flag. I don’t know, I was scared honestly. I was scared to let the people know that I’m going through this. I don’t want people to see me as handicapped. I don’t want people to feel that I can’t fight anymore because I know I can. I just wanted to hide it. No one knew. I just recently told my manager and my promoter, no one knew. Only my family members and it was hard.”

    The former three-division champion revealed that he suffered the injury in sparring on Wednesday, Jan. 23. He underwent emergency retinal detachment surgery on Jan. 30 at San Gabriel Hospital.

    “I was seeing flashes, and I couldn’t see from here up,” Mares said in a video feature that preceded the interview. Mares then said his wife made him go see the doctor.

    “I got hit in the eye,” Mares told Abdo. “I felt the pain, but I went through it. I still sparred. I came back on Friday for another sparring session, I got hit again. It’s a contact sport. And my eye got super red. And it was that Friday and Saturday where I started seeing clouds and just blurred vision and I told my wife and my wife was like, ‘You got to get it checked.’ I said, 'No, I’m good.' So, Monday came and I was gonna go to the gym. I had another sparring session ready for Monday. But my wife insisted to go see the doctor. So, she won and I went to the doctor. … He said, 'Abner, you have a detached retina. You’re not gonna be able to fight.'"

    This is the second time Mares has suffered a detached retina in his career. The first time he suffered a detached retina, it was for his right eye in 2008. It knocked him off the undercard of Bernard Hopkins’s victory over Kelly Pavlik and was while Mares was still a rising bantamweight contender. He’s since gone on to win four world titles in three divisions and establish himself as one of the best-credentialed fighters of the last decade.

    That eye injury has only kept Mares out of the ring once. He was set to face Jesus Cuellar in New York in June of 2016, but the New York State Athletic Commission wouldn’t approve Mares due to his eye history. He eventually beat Cuellar in Los Angeles that December, earning the WBA regular featherweight belt. Mares has fought in states such as California and Nevada, which are pretty strict when it comes to licensing. New York operates at the strictest levels.

    Though Mares said he is confident he will fight again, he leaves his career in the hands of his doctors, saying that he will accept retirement if he’s told it’s best to stay out of the ring.

    “My doctor is one of the best and if he says Abner, you’re good to go, I’m going to up there and continue to become a world champion once again,” Mares told Abdo. “And if he says no, I’m ready for retirement. But I honestly feel I’m gonna come back and I’m gonna conquer that and become a world champion once again.”

    It was stirring to see a fighter like Mares use the PBC’s show on FOX to address his injury. One thing that was hard to watch was Mares talking about how much it hurt him to see the fans criticizing him for pulling out of the fight.

    “[It was] more devastating knowing that when the fight was announced canceled, the messages I was receiving from people saying that I was a fake, that I was faking an injury, that it was a way to pull out of the fight when in reality people didn’t know the pain what I was going through,” Mares explained. “I’m not that type of person, I’m not that type of fighter. I always fight. I called out Davis, I wanted him. He direct messaged me saying the same thing, ‘Why did you have to fake the injury?’ That really boiled me up. I responded back, and it’s been a tough week.”

    Mares was set to face Davis in the Showtime-televised main event this Saturday as he lobbied for his fourth-divisional title, which would put him amongst Mexican greats like Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales. At 33 years of age, Mares was likely on the back-nine of his career, but was going after someone many consider the best super featherweight in the world in Davis.

    “Let me tell you — it must’ve sounded stupid then — but I remember telling my eye doctor, ‘Let me fight this one fight. I don’t care if I go blind.’ And the doctor got really mad and he said, ‘Abner, you’re stupid. I’m never gonna let you fight like this,’" Mares said. "But that was how bad I wanted to fight. I really wanted to fight on Saturday. I wanted to fight Gervonta. I know I could beat this guy. I know I could win. I trained really hard this week. I was pretty much done with camp, but things happen for a reason.”

    Let’s all hope Mares makes a speedy recovery, and whatever the result, he chooses the best option for his long-term health. Real boxing fans know that Abner Mares has never ducked a challenge, and you can put his resume up there against any active fighter and it stands up pretty damn well.

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/abn...185302778.html
    Just was about to put the video of the interview up.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,622
    Mentioned
    566 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    544
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Abner Mares v Gervonta Davis

    Oh shit I love mares. I know nothing about a detached retina. I gotta look up see what can be done

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Lomanchenko versus Gervonta Davis
    By sanatogen in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-25-2018, 02:10 AM
  2. Gervonta Davis vs...
    By ykdadamaja in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-17-2017, 03:10 PM
  3. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
  4. Gervonta Davis. Next star or next also ran?
    By Spicoli in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2017, 06:43 AM
  5. Gervonta davis and Brandon Rios
    By imp in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Boxing Hompage | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Video Clips | Boxing Forum | Boxing Downloads| Boxing Twitter | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Quiz | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Betting Odds | Boxers Records | Auctions | Fun and Games | Articles on Boxing | World News | Earn Money from your Website | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Saddo Boxing - Disclaimer l Boxing