Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui I thought I'd pick a fight
Here's the criteria
1. Great fighters beaten when they were great fighters
2. Division wrecking
3. Ranked fighters beaten
3. Taking on everyone or nearly so
4. Occasional losses top great fighters don't have large impact
5. Losses to less than great fighters when in one's extended prime have a significant impact
6. Judgement is made over one's "extended prime." The longer the prime the better
Originally Posted by gest12645 Great pointing out Dempsey. Also Patterson.
And Jack Johnson, or Joe Louis are ovarated in terms of comparing them to Hwy's such as Lewis, Holmes, Ali. They wouldn't stand a chance against modern Heavyweights- even the Klitschkos
Originally Posted by Mark TKO fewer weight classes - back to the good old days of 8
and fighters foerced to meet rather then duck one another. I wish....... It's easy to keep track of eight and you'd have to fight and not sit on your belt, I agree with you and the ratings in those old ring magazines I used to own until multiple marriages. Same pain different poison.
Originally Posted by amat Yea I would definitely pick Bute to win this but I would urge him really really strongly to NOT take this fight. It would only make him look bad and Hopkins would be in his kitchen all night where Bute isn't comfortable. Bute just wouldn't look good and no way he would KO Hopkins. Just when we thought Hopkins was going away, he's back being a royal pain in the ass. Hopkins is one of those guys that makes his own luck and the Pavlik fight proves it with a couple of other fights.