Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default JOSH TAYLOR VS MIGUEL VAZQUEZ Channel 5 11th November 2017

Josh Taylor says defeat to Miguel Vazquez would be a "major speed-bump" on the road to becoming world champion.

But regardless of the outcome of their bout on Saturday night in Edinburgh, the 26-year-old is convinced of his destiny - a belief shared by his promoter Barry McGuigan.

Taylor believes, though, that he will claim his 11th professional victory to retain the WBC Silver title.

"If the worst does happen, I'll still become world champion," Taylor said.

Nonetheless, the Prestonpans super lightweight refuses to look beyond Saturday's bout with the Mexican former IBF world lightweight champion towards the world title fights he believes await him.

"I'm totally focused on this fight because if I don't come through, it puts a major speed-bump in the way of my plans and dreams," he explained.

"I'm super-confident, super-relaxed. I feel in great shape, I've been in camp for 14 weeks just purely out of respect for Miguel Vazquez because I know how good a fighter he is.

"He's operated at the top level for a long time, so I know I have to be at my best."

Vazquez, who is fighting in Europe for the first time, was IBF lightweight champion for four years from 2010-2014 and only lost the belt in controversial circumstances to American Mickey Bey.

His record stands at 39 wins from 44 and though recent fights have brought victories over unremarkable countrymen, Taylor anticipates a serious test.

"He's going to be the trickiest opponent so far," said Taylor. "He's got experience in abundance.

"He's been with the guys at the top endless amounts of times and he's only lost to the guys at the very top, the elite-level fighters.

"I'm going to have to use every bit of my boxing ability and my boxing brain to come out on top. I'm young, hungry, fit, fast and strong. I punch harder than him and I believe I'm a better fighter.

"At some point his experience will come into play, but it's my time to shine."

Not so, says Vazquez, who has warned Taylor he'll have to wait to fulfil his dream.

"Yes he can be world champion but this time I want to be the champ," the 30-year-old told BBC Scotland. "He's young enough to go on to achieve great things.

"I believe my experience will help me win this fight. I want to be the best in the world, to fight in different places and to be a champion."

Vazquez admits he has not seen much of Scotland - "only the gym, the streets and the cold" - nor is he overly familiar with his opponent.

"I haven't seen many of his fights, but I know he's tough and it's going to be a great fight," he added. "I've come prepared to win."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41934734
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: JOSH TAYLOR VS MIGUEL VAZQUEZ Channel 5 11th November 2017

Taylor seriously impressed me against Ohara.
    Vicious body punched with all the tools to become a World Champion.
    This is gonna clash with the Smith fight on BT though.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate when they do that don't they know I have todo round by round for saddo?

Makes my job hard.

At least there is no match of the day.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm really impressed with Taylor but his team are taking a huge risk here. No one looks good against Vasquez and he has excellent skills backed with a granite chin. The epitome of high risk low reward in this one, although beating a quality opponent like Vasquez should bring Taylor the rewards and recognition it deserves as he progresses.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lee McGregor's debut is on this card too.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't often pick against a guy as long in the tooth and mass experience like Vazquez but I have a sneaking suspicion Taylor will just not afford him the empty space and time that Vazquez needs to spoil a bit and box his own tempo. I think Taylor may actually be the first guy to even stop him. Not on a count but well behind, late rounds and possibly "injury" related .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Makes my job hard.

Suck it up buttercup . Try 3 screens one day .

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Makes my job hard.

Suck it up buttercup . Try 3 screens one day .
    Mission, 2 is bad enough.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Although Fa holds those 2 amateur wins over Parker I'm not that impressed with him thus far as a pro.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why I get a bit jarred by all the moaners and groaners on here about "boxing is shit these days" "terrestrial TV" "Benn and Eubank days" "PPV bollocks." Prime time Saturday night free TV yet not one of them will even give this fight a mention let alone watch it. In fact they won't even have a clue who Taylor is let alone Vazquez (they'll tell you all about Bellew and Haye ruining boxing though).

Here we have a 10-fight prospect facing a 30-year-old Mexican, former "world" champion, coming off a four-fight win streak that has never been stopped and suffered just 5 defeats - to fellow "world" champions - in 44 bouts.

On paper it's an absolute mismatch. However, Taylor is 50/1 on!!! Mexican road sweepers are given more chance. Mental. (Vazquez 12/1, generally)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    This is why I get a bit jarred by all the moaners and groaners on here about "boxing is shit these days" "terrestrial TV" "Benn and Eubank days" "PPV bollocks." Prime time Saturday night free TV yet not one of them will even give this fight a mention let alone watch it. In fact they won't even have a clue who Taylor is let alone Vazquez (they'll tell you all about Bellew and Haye ruining boxing though).

Here we have a 10-fight prospect facing a 30-year-old Mexican, former "world" champion, coming off a four-fight win streak that has never been stopped and suffered just 5 defeats - to fellow "world" champions - in 44 bouts.

On paper it's an absolute mismatch. However, Taylor is 50/1 on!!! Mexican road sweepers are given more chance. Mental. (Vazquez 12/1, generally)
    Lets add that 2 of those loses were questionable, 2 were to Canelo (although the 1st was Canelo's 3rd fight and split) and the other was to Bradley. Taylor will deserve all the credit in the world for a win here.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't know this was tonight, I'll definitely watch it, I might watch this over the Smith v williams fight.

I'm guessing the undercard will be on spike tv or whatever it's called.

Has o'hara davies fought since Taylor dismantled him?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Fenster I get what you are saying but has there been any promotion at all for this? I haven't seen a single advert on TV for it (granted I don't watch much TV so I may have just missed it) but Sky ram their cards down your throat for weeks and sometimes months before a fight, Channel 5 seem to just put the show on and hope a few people will watch it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I didn't know this was tonight, I'll definitely watch it, I might watch this over the Smith v williams fight.

I'm guessing the undercard will be on spike tv or whatever it's called.

Has o'hara davies fought since Taylor dismantled him?
    O Hara won a few weeks back on sky saying he was not prepared for Josh but will be back.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh yeah, I remember now, I actually watched the fight

Thread Information