Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oscar Valdez v Scott Quigg Sky Sports 10th March 2018

Scott Quigg can make his name in America when he battles Mexican Oscar Valdez for the WBO featherweight belt this weekend, live on Sky Sports.

The 29-year-old former WBA super-bantamweight champion has moved up in weight to pursue a fresh title shot and will challenge Valdez, one of the rising stars in the US, at the StubHub Center in Carson in the early hours of Sunday morning, live on Sky Sports.

There were intakes of breath when this fight was announced as Valdez is well known for all-out aggression, while Quigg rarely takes a backward step, and the pair are expected to produce an epic battle.

Valdez holds a 23-fight record, with 19 knockouts underlining his dangerous punch power, but takes a step-up in class against Quigg, whose sole defeat came in a 2016 domestic clash with Carl Frampton.

Valdez hopes to become the latest boxing hero from Mexico, but is jostling for position with a talented crop of countrymen, including the hugely popular Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares and Gilberto Ramirez.

Quigg has made no secret of his desire to secure a rematch with Frampton and has followed him to the same division, although 'The Jackal' has so far played down the prospect of a second fight.

But victory over Valdez would mean that Quigg joins Santa Cruz, Gary Russell Jr, Marez and Selby as title holders in a star-filled division, and Frampton could be forced to reconsider his stance.
    Erick De Leon is one of the exciting talents in the super-featherweight division and will face Andy Vences, a fellow unbeaten prospect, on the undercard for Valdez-Quigg.

Alex Saucedo, an unbeaten super-lightweight, is also targeting his 27th successive victory when he takes on Abner Lopez.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...-on-sky-sports
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscar Valdez v Scott Quigg Sky Sports 10th March 2018

This could turn out to be the best fight of the weekend.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quigg missed weight. Not sure if it was a tactical move or not. Knock this chump out Valdez.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just can’t stand it when fighters miss weight. It’s extremely unprofessional.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I just can’t stand it when fighters miss weight. It’s extremely unprofessional.
    In Quigg's case he's come from 122, and I don't recall him missing weight before, that's why I'm wondering if maybe it was a tactical move.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quigg has spent his career being known for living in the gym, being super dedicated/fit. Ironic this happens after leaving Joe Gallagher (knowing some of his fighters).

I'll be the naive one and say it wasn't done on purpose, however, i'm pretty certain they're (Roach and him) confident they can sparko Valdez in a fire fight, so this is obviously not going to be detrimental. This could be like Corrales-Castillo II, where the extra weight was evident.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quigg has spent his career being known for living in the gym, being super dedicated/fit. Ironic this happens after leaving Joe Gallagher (knowing some of his fighters).

I'll be the naive one and say it wasn't done on purpose, however, i'm pretty certain they're (Roach and him) confident they can sparko Valdez in a fire fight, so this is obviously not going to be detrimental. This could be like Corrales-Castillo II, where the extra weight was evident.
    Anyone know if Valdez' team put a limit on how much Quigg can enter the ring at (2nd day weight in)?

I don't see Quigg stopping Valdez, or vise versa. I still see Valdez as the bigger puncher. This will be a war of attrition over the full 12. Valdez can make it easier for himself if he keeps to the game plan and limits his brawling.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alex Saucedo fights on this card against Abner Lopez. A win puts him in line to fight the winner of the Jose Ramirez vs Amir Imam fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Anyone know if Valdez' team put a limit on how much Quigg can enter the ring at (2nd day weight in)?

I don't see Quigg stopping Valdez, or vise versa. I still see Valdez as the bigger puncher. This will be a war of attrition over the full 12. Valdez can make it easier for himself if he keeps to the game plan and limits his brawling.
    Don't know if a limit was set but team Valdez were fuming, originally demanded Quigg lose a couple of pound and debated whether or not the fight goes ahead, so obviously are concerned giving away the weight. They seem to have settled for 10% of his purse.

I think Valdez is a better boxer, certainly better mover/quicker, however, if he gets hurt like he did against Servinia i'd be surprised if he gets off the hook. Quigg has many sparkos to body and head.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This could have been redemption for Quigg after a disappointing few years but he's gone and messed it up now by missing weight but even if he won a win would be tainted.

i remember regretting buying the quigg frampton ppv at the time. Two little men without the power to hurt each other and mostly cautious to engage. Frampton made up for it in subsequent fights with Santa Cruz but Scott hasn't. Even with an unfair weight advantage I can't see quigg winning. Moving to America has only made him a more face 1st fighter, hasn't added anything. But at least he will throw punches which he didn't do for 6 rounds under joe Gallagher

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I reckon this was intentional, Valdez team were not happy.
    I'm thinking same as Fenster, that Roach wants Quigg in a shoot out and is going for an early stoppage win.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I reckon this was intentional, Valdez team were not happy.
    I'm thinking same as Fenster, that Roach wants Quigg in a shoot out and is going for an early stoppage win.
    The victory will be meaningless and no one will touch Quigg now.

Stupid move if it was deliberate.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Overweight boxers?... Andy ruiz is on the undercard for this fight too..

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It looks like the fight is still on. It was in question for a little bit because Quigg refused to weigh in this morning.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty crap move by Quigg and then refusing weigh in very unprofessional. Why is it even optional to weight in again? Get on the scale fatty . Seriously though no doubt intentional and a penalty of some purse is figured into his roll of the dice. Why wear out shaking weight when it'll be allowed and a win over Valdez, regardless of trinket, has big resale value he can take home next time out. It's a joke and bad for the sport. There needs to be actual ramifications..how bout a guy loses not only title recognition but loses the ranking also.

I still have my doubts if Valdez will keep his head level and resist a shoot out especially at Stub Hub with that rowdy crowd. If he's not behind his jab Quigg can very much hurt a guy downstairs. Predict he'll be practically booed out of the ring throughout..welcome to 'Murica .

Thread Information