Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I missed the Andy Ruiz Jr/Devin Vargas fight!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I missed the Andy Ruiz Jr/Devin Vargas fight!

I know it was a first round KO. But man I wanted to see the REAL WBO Heavyweight Champion fight.

Ruiz Jr. was the victim of a home-town decision when he lost to Joe Parker in New Zealand.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I missed the Andy Ruiz Jr/Devin Vargas fight!

You stand alone in your fight. For that I commend you.
    Last edited by Master; 03-12-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You stand​ alone in your fight. For that I commend you.
    Only because Ruiz looked a little tubby you said that. But I felt if anywhere else he would have gotten the nod. Not even a Draw!
    Last edited by Master; 03-12-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Andy Ruiz is like Cris Arreola take 2 to me....I like his style, I like how he fights, I wish he would take better care of himself. Seemingly a very nice guy, very strong and dangerous in the ring, but just a little tubby for a professional athlete.

Devin Vargas wasn't very up for this fight was he? He just took his 10 count and the L, didn't want more of that punishment I guess.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz was supposedly training hard for this fight too. His hands are pretty fast and he has decent technique, I just wish he would dedicate himself, he could lose 20 pounds easy.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz didn't get robbed against Parker, he gave the fight away. Robbed is sticking your card in an ATM, withdrawing your cash and some cunt sticking a knife in your back forcing you to hand it over. Ruiz put in his card, took out his dough, put it on the floor for safe keeping, had a burrito and a little snooze, then woke up and went 'where's my money?'

No matter where the fight takes place, you cant voluntarily hand over half of it on a silver platter then complain it didn't go your way. Ruiz has some skill, but he doesn't have the desire and never will.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz Jr. has the body type that is not sexy and appealing looking. He will always lose if you think he is not in shape. But the fight vs. Parker he lasted in good stead. In fact, he had more in the tank at the end than Parker did.

You simply cannot judge a fighter's look vs his ability. Or else Michael Grant would win multiple titles in every era. He simply did not. Alternatively, Corrie Sanders and Frans Botha would never win titles.

Plus, what do you expect from the typical Mexican body-type? Not meant to be racist, but Mexican fighters very RARELY grow over 6 ft. Arreola and Ruiz Jr. are exceptions to the general theme of Mexican physique's period- they are overblown and clearly, in Ruiz Jr.'s case, he has either a thyroid problem or some other issue that keeps the weight on him.

Arreola just got fat and can never look in peak condition, because after he turned 18 he grew a few inches into a North American looking man but did not have the bone structure or muscle that goes with it.

You have to be mindful of racial differences and physio-types. Just like Black West and South African fighters- hardly ever an ounce of fat, all skinned down to the muscly bone. Akinwande is a prime example of a Black African big that just fits that description- Sam Peter was an exception.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't care that Ruiz has a layer of fat, no one does, this isn't a beauty contest. It's a contest of punching the other guy in the face as much as you can over 12 rounds. When you refuse to punch the other guy in the face for half a fight you're going to struggle to win it no?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I don't care that Ruiz has a layer of fat, no one does, this isn't a beauty contest. It's a contest of punching the other guy in the face as much as you can over 12 rounds. When you refuse to punch the other guy in the face for half a fight you're going to struggle to win it no?
    I'm saying that his looks jaundiced the judges minds into thinking he could not win. It turned into a fashion show. Ruiz Jr. beat Parker to the punch all night and Parker was on the backfoot for most of the fight.

If this was anywhere other than New Zealand Parker would have lost or it would have been a Draw- which is still a robbery to me.

Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I'm saying that his looks jaundiced the judges minds into thinking he could not win. It turned into a fashion show. Ruiz Jr. beat Parker to the punch all night and Parker was on the backfoot for most of the fight.

If this was anywhere other than New Zealand Parker would have lost or it would have been a Draw- which is still a robbery to me.

So the judges judged Ruiz Jr on his looks?

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja
    You simply cannot judge a fighter's look vs his ability. Or else Michael Grant would win multiple titles in every era. He simply did not. Alternatively, Corrie Sanders and Frans Botha would never win titles.

Typically for me I always look at the musclebound fighters and think "Damn if they don't land early they're going to gas out" takes a lot of fuel to run a machine that big. with the fluffier/fatter fighters I never worry about the early parts of the fights because as long as they can take a punch they should be sturdy enough to last the distance just based on them being comfortable at their weight rather than dehydrated or overtrained

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz Jr. has the body type that is not sexy and appealing looking. He will always lose if you think he is not in shape. But the fight vs. Parker he lasted in good stead. In fact, he had more in the tank at the end than Parker did.

Plus, what do you expect from the typical Mexican body-type? Not meant to be racist, but Mexican fighters very RARELY grow over 6 ft. Arreola and Ruiz Jr. are exceptions to the general theme of Mexican physique's period- they are overblown and clearly, in Ruiz Jr.'s case, he has either a thyroid problem or some other issue that keeps the weight on him.

Arreola just got fat and can never look in peak condition, because after he turned 18 he grew a few inches into a North American looking man but did not have the bone structure or muscle that goes with it.

You have to be mindful of racial differences and physio-types. Just like Black West and South African fighters- hardly ever an ounce of fat, all skinned down to the muscly bone. Akinwande is a prime example of a Black African big that just fits that description- Sam Peter was an exception.
    Hate to be that boxing nerd guy but did Botha ever win a title..or lose it because he was one of those juicers you have a fondness for .

I don't mind Ruiz and the guy has obvious skill and hand speed that runs contrary to his size. He's one that looks like he's just wearing a baggy fat suit. As opposed to a Big baby Miller who is wide and massive everywhere, legs, arse, head, torso and his thighs are the size of Ricardo Lopez ffs. Had him about even with Parker. No idea why he sat out so long and couldn't do him any favors.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Hate to be that boxing nerd guy but did Botha ever win a title..or lose it because he was one of those juicers you have a fondness for .

I don't mind Ruiz and the guy has obvious skill and hand speed that runs contrary to his size. He's one that looks like he's just wearing a baggy fat suit. As opposed to a Big baby Miller who is wide and massive everywhere, legs, arse, head, torso and his thighs are the size of Ricardo Lopez ffs. Had him about even with Parker. No idea why he sat out so long and couldn't do him any favors.
    Hey botha won the wbf title(:S) and lost it to holyfield then spent the rest of his days trying to get it back and getting knocked out :S.... Wbf is one of the big ones isn't it?!?!? It's like the ibf but with a w instead of an I... A w for winning!

And someone mentioned Michael Grant... He is fighting kingpin Johnson soon......
    Last edited by palmerq; 03-15-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Hey botha won the wbf title(:S) and lost it to holyfield then spent the rest of his days trying to get it back and getting knocked out :S.... Wbf is one of the big ones isn't it?!?!? It's like the ibf but with a w instead of an I... A w for winning!

And someone mentioned Michael Grant... He is fighting kingpin Johnson soon......
    Probably had to go to court for that one too. What a circus. Tough fighter Botha, built like big shiny beer keg.

Thread Information