Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Golovkin-Rolls Makes The Case For Internet Piracy

If you gladly gobble up garbage like what we saw this past Saturday coming from Madison Square Garden, broadcast by DAZN, the kindest thing I can say about you is that you’re probably a well-meaning, but naïve chump.
    Canadian fall guy, Rolls, had his moments against a rusty Golovkin, who had been out of the ring for nine months wrangling a nine-figure deal with streaming service DAZN and pissing on the remaining members of Team Golovkin who got him to the point of being able to sign a nine-figure deal. But, despite the underdog snapping GGG’s head back with a couple of flush shots before being knocked loopy in the fourth round, the matchmaking for the Kazakh KO machine was on-point and Rolls had neither the power nor the overall ability to turn his evening at Madison Square Garden into an Andy Ruiz-type upset.
    This was Golovkin’s first bout with new trainer Johnathon Banks, the first since suffering his lone career defeat, and the first of his huge new six-fight deal. If there ever was a moment where pressure might pave the way for an upset, this was it. Except, by design, Rolls would not be able to do it.
    As a result, everything played out as it was designed to play out and Golovkin got his soft-touch signing bonus bout, just like manufactured archrival Canelo Alvarez got against Rocky Fielding last December after signing his own deal with DAZN. Essentially an infomercial for the eventual third installment of Canelo-GGG, nothing was ever in doubt, except for how, exactly, Golovkin would put Rolls to sleep.
    And you, the fan, had the privilege of paying for it.
    The new business model in boxing is not all that different from the one that hobbled the sport for the last several decades—pass the hat to the fans, make them pay for absolutely everything, and give them back as little as permissible.
    However, in this new age version of the paywall business model, fans are getting even less than before while the sport reaches an intentionally small, micro-targeted market of loyalist suckers.
    DAZN, especially, has introduced the idea of boxing in bulk, delivering scores of lesser fights for below-market prices. At least in the old HBO/Showtime days, subscribers would get two good fights for their money. Nowadays, DAZN delivers an undercard of stinkers before showcasing a wildly-overpaid “star” in a squash or, in the case of the Canelo-Jacobs bout, a tango of nothingness between top-earners playing at 50% speed for fear of ruining future paydays.
    Although they’re only about nine months into their business plan, it’s hard to see too much changing, quality-wise, with DAZN. The only changes may involve further tweaks to prices and subscription plans as their payroll starts to weigh heavily on their ability to put on attractive shows.
    Despite efforts to paint their service as a new frontier in boxing broadcasting, the reality is that many are still treating it as pay-per-view, coming in and out based on the salability of an upcoming event. They recently adjusted their payment options to accommodate a fan base that was not responding to their hopes of establishing a Netflix-style “let’s sign up and forget about it” customer base. The streaming service reportedly lost a lot of the subscribers who signed up for December’s Canelo-Fielding bout and chances are good that many of those who signed up for a month to get Canelo-Jacobs on May 4 canceled days before Golovkin-Rolls came around.
    Yeah, yeah, we got the Ruiz-Joshua upset just last week from DAZN, but we all know that things totally did not turn out the way the company had planned. It was a fluke that, if they had the power to hit a button and reverse, they’d do it without the slightest hesitation.
    Next week, ESPN continues with their own boxing in bulk efforts, putting their $100 million fighter Tyson Fury on the ESPN+ app against unknown and irrelevant Tom Schwarz—and allowing you the privilege of paying a subscription fee to see it.
    Sticking Fury on a subscription-only streaming app is not exactly the best way to increase his profile in the States, as promoter Bob Arum has claimed the goal would be when it comes to the “Gypsy King.”
    More and more, it’s becoming clear that none of this new wave in content delivery is about making things better for fans or growing the sport. Money men have dumped a fortune into the sport, at the feet of just a small handful of fighters/promoters, in an effort to exploit a fan base groomed to be exploited and corral a fairly lawless, disorganized, boss-less sport into becoming exclusive content behind high paywalls.
    The only reasonable response from fans to this continued passing of the hat is to find other ways to get their boxing fix. Anyone with the limited tech savvy to sign up and access DAZN and ESPN+ also has the savvy to find all of the streaming app content free online at illicit pirate stream sites.
    Blame the boxing businessmen for creating a Robin Hood mentality in fans when it comes to accessing boxing content. Consumers can only be asked to pay so much, so often, for so little before they start feeling entitled to bit of thievery.
    Golovkin-Rolls is a perfect example of that. Whether it’s part of a boxing in bulk plan or not, nobody feels good about being asked to pay for something of such inferior quality. Nobody walks away happy from something like this, except those cashing the fat checks given to them by broadcasters willing to run in the red to corner the boxing market.
    Until the boxing business fixes itself and its piss-poor treatment of its most loyal fans, the internet pirates and signal thieves may be the fans’ best friends.

Follow us on Twitter@boxing_com to continue the discussion

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin-Rolls Makes The Case For Internet Piracy

I hope some of their employees or management read this forum ........

You are spot on mate
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

El Kabong Guest

GGG looked like shit until the KO...the KO was nice though

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I hope some of their employees or management read this forum ........

You are spot on mate
    Yes thanks Paul Magno of Boxing.Com

http://www.boxing.com/golovkin_rolls...et_piracy.html
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I disagree sir. Rolls was fighting his ass off. those right hands were bombs. It's just that GGG is one tough S.O.B. GGG has the true heart of a Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    I disagree sir. Rolls was fighting his ass off. those right hands were bombs. It's just that GGG is one tough S.O.B. GGG has the true heart of a Champion.
    Oh Rolls looked very game. GGG took shots he didn't use to AND didn't need to. There was one specifically where GGG got caught flush only there wasn't enough on the punch to do anything but snap GGG's head back.

I don't think it was a great performance by him, I've seen a lot better from him, I expect a lot better....that KO shot was nice, he'll break his hand doing that wrong, but he knows what he's doing.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the death of network tv boxing has been greatly exaggerated. On one weekend the most convincing and legitimate winner for Dazn was Chris Algieri . Good luck long term growth with that $20 a month.

Know what's different to me, seems a lot more people are just looking to tune in for highlight clips rather than full cards. Espn basically shoots itself in the foot dropping full rounds, clips etc over on fb immediately after most bouts.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree.
    GGG took some huge punches but they (as usual) seem to have no effect on him.
    I think the AJ v Ruiz card on the whole is probably the most competitive and exciting card we've seen all year but on the whole this year so far has been pretty shit for stacked cards.
    DAZN will surely have to up their game if subscription numbers start to slow down.
    I honestly can't remember the last time I paid for a fight.
    I get DAZN, ESPN, BT Sport and Sky Sports free and in full hd quality.
    I've just changed my IPTV provider and it runs flawlessly through the Alexa 4K voice fire stick.
    £85 all in for the year which after Fury then 2 more PPV fights has paid for itself already 😁

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

Agree.
    I think the AJ v Ruiz card on the whole is probably the most competitive and exciting card we've seen all year but on the whole this year so far has been pretty shit for stacked cards.
    DAZN will surely have to up their game if subscription numbers start to slow down.
    I've just changed my IPTV provider and it runs flawlessly through the Alexa 4K voice fire stick.
    £85 all in for the year which after Fury then 2 more PPV fights has paid for itself already 😁
    Who do you use for your IPTV and how much is it per month?

I pay £8 a month and mine hasn't let me down yet

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Agree.
    £85 all in for the year which after Fury then 2 more PPV fights has paid for itself already ������
    Who do you use for your IPTV and how much is it per month?

I pay £8 a month and mine hasn't let me down yet

Just PMd you

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think the death of network tv boxing has been greatly exaggerated. On one weekend the most convincing and legitimate winner for Dazn was Chris Algieri . Good luck long term growth with that $20 a month.

Know what's different to me, seems a lot more people are just looking to tune in for highlight clips rather than full cards. Espn basically shoots itself in the foot dropping full rounds, clips etc over on fb immediately after most bouts.
    I think ESPN is just saturating the market to drown DAZN. ESPN already has them killed in subscribers and is about to tie to Hulu further putting their foot on DAZNs neck. Paying GGG 18 million to assault someone who has no business in a fight is the model that destroyed HBO.(except worse)There is a reason DAZN is set to lose 4.6 billion dollars over the next 3 years. Getting only 1% of the market is a major fail so far.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you gladly gobble up garbage like what we saw this past Saturday coming from Madison Square Garden, broadcast by DAZN, the kindest thing I can say about you is that you’re probably a well-meaning, but naïve chump.
    Canadian fall guy, Rolls, had his moments against a rusty Golovkin, who had been out of the ring for nine months wrangling a nine-figure deal with streaming service DAZN and pissing on the remaining members of Team Golovkin who got him to the point of being able to sign a nine-figure deal. But, despite the underdog snapping GGG’s head back with a couple of flush shots before being knocked loopy in the fourth round, the matchmaking for the Kazakh KO machine was on-point and Rolls had neither the power nor the overall ability to turn his evening at Madison Square Garden into an Andy Ruiz-type upset.
    This was Golovkin’s first bout with new trainer Johnathon Banks, the first since suffering his lone career defeat, and the first of his huge new six-fight deal. If there ever was a moment where pressure might pave the way for an upset, this was it. Except, by design, Rolls would not be able to do it.
    As a result, everything played out as it was designed to play out and Golovkin got his soft-touch signing bonus bout, just like manufactured archrival Canelo Alvarez got against Rocky Fielding last December after signing his own deal with DAZN. Essentially an infomercial for the eventual third installment of Canelo-GGG, nothing was ever in doubt, except for how, exactly, Golovkin would put Rolls to sleep.
    And you, the fan, had the privilege of paying for it.
    The new business model in boxing is not all that different from the one that hobbled the sport for the last several decades—pass the hat to the fans, make them pay for absolutely everything, and give them back as little as permissible.
    However, in this new age version of the paywall business model, fans are getting even less than before while the sport reaches an intentionally small, micro-targeted market of loyalist suckers.
    DAZN, especially, has introduced the idea of boxing in bulk, delivering scores of lesser fights for below-market prices. At least in the old HBO/Showtime days, subscribers would get two good fights for their money. Nowadays, DAZN delivers an undercard of stinkers before showcasing a wildly-overpaid “star” in a squash or, in the case of the Canelo-Jacobs bout, a tango of nothingness between top-earners playing at 50% speed for fear of ruining future paydays.
    Although they’re only about nine months into their business plan, it’s hard to see too much changing, quality-wise, with DAZN. The only changes may involve further tweaks to prices and subscription plans as their payroll starts to weigh heavily on their ability to put on attractive shows.
    Despite efforts to paint their service as a new frontier in boxing broadcasting, the reality is that many are still treating it as pay-per-view, coming in and out based on the salability of an upcoming event. They recently adjusted their payment options to accommodate a fan base that was not responding to their hopes of establishing a Netflix-style “let’s sign up and forget about it” customer base. The streaming service reportedly lost a lot of the subscribers who signed up for December’s Canelo-Fielding bout and chances are good that many of those who signed up for a month to get Canelo-Jacobs on May 4 canceled days before Golovkin-Rolls came around.
    Yeah, yeah, we got the Ruiz-Joshua upset just last week from DAZN, but we all know that things totally did not turn out the way the company had planned. It was a fluke that, if they had the power to hit a button and reverse, they’d do it without the slightest hesitation.
    Next week, ESPN continues with their own boxing in bulk efforts, putting their $100 million fighter Tyson Fury on the ESPN+ app against unknown and irrelevant Tom Schwarz—and allowing you the privilege of paying a subscription fee to see it.
    Sticking Fury on a subscription-only streaming app is not exactly the best way to increase his profile in the States, as promoter Bob Arum has claimed the goal would be when it comes to the “Gypsy King.”
    More and more, it’s becoming clear that none of this new wave in content delivery is about making things better for fans or growing the sport. Money men have dumped a fortune into the sport, at the feet of just a small handful of fighters/promoters, in an effort to exploit a fan base groomed to be exploited and corral a fairly lawless, disorganized, boss-less sport into becoming exclusive content behind high paywalls.
    The only reasonable response from fans to this continued passing of the hat is to find other ways to get their boxing fix. Anyone with the limited tech savvy to sign up and access DAZN and ESPN+ also has the savvy to find all of the streaming app content free online at illicit pirate stream sites.
    Blame the boxing businessmen for creating a Robin Hood mentality in fans when it comes to accessing boxing content. Consumers can only be asked to pay so much, so often, for so little before they start feeling entitled to bit of thievery.
    Golovkin-Rolls is a perfect example of that. Whether it’s part of a boxing in bulk plan or not, nobody feels good about being asked to pay for something of such inferior quality. Nobody walks away happy from something like this, except those cashing the fat checks given to them by broadcasters willing to run in the red to corner the boxing market.
    Until the boxing business fixes itself and its piss-poor treatment of its most loyal fans, the internet pirates and signal thieves may be the fans’ best friends.

Follow us on Twitter@boxing_com to continue the discussion
    I'm not ashamed to say I never paid for a fight in my life... EVER! And saw everything from Tyson v Spinks/Holyfield and Mayweather's last ten fights. I feel no shame for it at all.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree as well.

I persued punchstats for a few minutes to see how much more he's getting tagged. Alvarez last fight caught him 169.

His 2 round fight with Rubio, he got hit 15 times in 1st round.
    Jacobs fights he got hit in the double digits from round 3-12. Hit 175. he got credit for landing 4 more than Canelo II.
    1st 4 rounds with Brook he got tagged 19-21-25-14 times per round..if we were to average out Canelo 169 in 6 rounds, that would be 70. or 69 for Brook a disparity of one punch.

Out of the 3 rounds he went with Macklin, would land double digits 2 out of the 3 rounds, excluding the one he got stopped in.

Out of the 3 round he went with Geale, he got his double digits in all 3 rounds. 15 times in the 1st round. & 12 in the round he stopped him in.

Out of 2 rounds against Matiroysan, he got tagged 12 times first round.

And against Rolls, he got tagged 38 times over 4 rounds, seems to be on par with his prime and early years.
    I take it that he has good defense, not awesome defense.

I always credited him for having a durable chin because he got hit enough to come to such a conclusion. His greatest asset IMO is his chin, endurance & punching power. Never saw him as a virtuoso at blocking or slipping shots. So for me, Rolls is given no credit because he hasn't been promoted as a great fighter.

Rolls brought it, but like others, regardless of how many rounds it takes for GGG to end it...he will take some.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it was a great performance by him, I've seen a lot better from him, I expect a lot better....that KO shot was nice, he'll break his hand doing that wrong, but he knows what he's doing.
    It is a strange punch that GGG uses to the skull of his oppoenent. I have never seen another fighter do it and you are right it could break his hand.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

It is a strange punch that GGG uses to the skull of his oppoenent. I have never seen another fighter do it and you are right it could break his hand.
    a choppy kind of a shot, and I thought the same watching it. IMO same with Ruiz , surprised that big head of AJ didn't injure his knuckles as well.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information