Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Vasyl Lomachenko v Jorge Linares on May 12th NYC

Vasyl Lomachenko will make his next outing inside the boxing ring on May 12 as he takes on the four-time world champion Jorge Linares in Madison Square Garden.
    On December 9, 2017, the boxing world watched in awe as the former-amateur phenom Vasyl Lomachenko schooled one of the finest pound-for-pound fighters on the planet Guillermo Rigondeaux before he quit on the stool at the end of the sixth round.
    The bout had been heralded as a true test of Vasyl’s claim to the P4P no.1 spot and all things considered, it was a test he passed with flying colours. His last four opponents have now retired from action mid-fight and while it might seem odd to the casual eye, those who see the sheer level of skill the Ukranian brings to the table understand well.
    ‘Hi-Tech’ may well be the most fitting nickname one could bestow on this two-time Olympian and now, with the biggest win of his career in his back-pocket, he appears to be ready to move on to yet another huge challenge.

Lance Pugmire of The LA Times reported that Lomachenko would face Jorge Linares in his next matchup, a bout that has scheduled for May 12 in New York City’s Madison Square Garden.
    Linares is widely regarded as the world’s best lightweight and as a four-time world champion across three different weight-classes, he will come into this matchup with a far more seasoned record in the professional game.
    Just as it is with any of Lomachenko’s opponents so far in his fast and destructive ascent, however, it appears as though the fans are fully expecting Vasyl to get the job done once again in stunning fashion.
    May looks set to be one helluva month for the sweet science!

Last edited by smashup; 03-14-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vasyl Lomachenko v Jorge Linares on May 12th NYC

I’m pretty surprised that they figured it out. I’m excited though. I think that Linares can actually give Loma some trouble because of his style and he’s a little bigger. Also, it will make a fight against Garcia even bigger if he goes back down to lightweight next fight.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lomachenko is a breath of fresh air and soon to be the undisputed P4P King if he pulls this off

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a Linares fan and hope he wins but I think he is going to get cut up and lose.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Props to Linares for jumping every hurdle and props to Loma for not following Bob's plan.

Leaves Mikey hanging in the wind.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I am a Linares fan and hope he wins but I think he is going to get cut up and lose.

You may very well be right. I'll be rooting for Linares, though. I'd love to see a lid put on this ridiculously premature p4p frenzy that's accompanied Loma since his 4th or 5th pro fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

You may very well be right. I'll be rooting for Linares, though. I'd love to see a lid put on this ridiculously premature p4p frenzy that's accompanied Loma since his 4th or 5th pro fight.
    Loma deserves credit for what he has done so far, I will not criticise him for that.

I would agree with Ron, that Garcia has been avoided by Linares whilst he cashed in against our Brits who are not on the level of him, Loma or Garcia.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like it! Props to Loma for jumping up proper with one of the better boxers with depth going today. Linares always enters the ring with an *asterisk next to his name as we all wait for the ceiling to fall in on him chin wise, but the man is a quality craftsman and a pure pleasure to watch. Loma needs this if you ask me..levels better than dusting a talked about Beltran imo..and suspect he'll cut up Linares badly but he will be in a fight.

and Oscar with fights on competing cards, same time same night. Hell is freezing over before us

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Linares and GBP deserve all the credit for getting this fight done. I'm sure Loma makes the jump to 135 with ease, with minimal (if any) affect on his abilities. Loma by late stoppage on cuts or another retirement.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Loma deserves credit for what he has done so far, I will not criticise him for that.

I would agree with Ron, that Garcia has been avoided by Linares whilst he cashed in against our Brits who are not on the level of him, Loma or Garcia.

I'm not denying or knocking Loma's skill. It just bugs me that in professional boxing, he got the proverbial "Advance to GO... Collect $200" card (from the classic Monopoly game). Anybody who gets to fight for a professional title in his 2nd pro fight is at the very least going to get a raised eyebrow. Then again, I'll grant that he's fought quality guys right off the bat, unlike a couple of well-known entities who began fighting live bodies after about 40 pro fights. I'm a fan of the traditional way... bringing the guy up steadily until he's fighting for a title after about 13-20 pro fights, give or take a few.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not denying or knocking Loma's skill. It just bugs me that in professional boxing, he got the proverbial "Advance to GO... Collect $200" card (from the classic Monopoly game). Anybody who gets to fight for a professional title in his 2nd pro fight is at the very least going to get a raised eyebrow. Then again, I'll grant that he's fought quality guys right off the bat, unlike a couple of well-known entities who began fighting live bodies after about 40 pro fights. I'm a fan of the traditional way... bringing the guy up steadily until he's fighting for a title after about 13-20 pro fights, give or take a few.
    Again I say who wants to see Loma beat 13-20 "bodies" the fact that he went straight for top fighters shows he is an exceptional and skilled boxer.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again I say who wants to see Loma beat 13-20 "bodies" the fact that he went straight for top fighters shows he is an exceptional and skilled boxer.

How he got handed a title fight in his 2nd pro fight is what I don't like. To each his own. Too many fighters spend years toiling away to get a shot to have a prima donna waltz in and get a title shot immediately.
    He could've fought 13-20 good fighters on his way to a title shot.
    Geez... at least 10. Build up the interest the normal way.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whilst I agree with you for ordinary fighters, Loma has proven to be an exceptional fighter and was worth fighting for a title in only his 2nd fight.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How he got handed a title fight in his 2nd pro fight is what I don't like. To each his own. Too many fighters spend years toiling away to get a shot to have a prima donna waltz in and get a title shot immediately.
    He was a one off with all the amateur experience and the gymnastics and so on. It is a different game when they take the headguards off and put the little gloves on but he'd already sparred a bunch of pros and thought he could handle it. And there's no better way to create interest than fighting for a belt in your second fight rather than knocking over a dozen tomato cans.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see the problem to be honest, I always say the same about footballers, if you are good enough you are old enough, if you are ready to compete at world level at your second pro fight go for it, it ain't like he won the belt and held it to ransom, he has fought Walters and Rigo (fair enough Rigo was 2 weight classes below but at the time a fair few people were tipping Rigo, it wasn't exactly Khan v Canelo was it)

If Daniel 'Dubious' Dubois looked like he could be a threat to AJ or Wilder at just 7 pro fights and at the age of 20 I would be screaming for them to chuck him in the ring with them.

I'm not a fan of marinating fights or padding records.

Your men who have spent years toiling away to get their shot can still get their shot, it'll just be against Loma and not the previous belt holder.

Thread Information