Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How/when will andre ward leave dan goossen?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How/when will andre ward leave dan goossen?

Its got to be killing andre to be tied in with dan goossen when golden boy and mayweather promotions thriving.

Andre is a very mellow guy but he doesnt seem to get the promotion that he deserves.

Hes p4p number 2 in the world and hopefully his shoulder surgery wont affect his boxing career in a bad way.

What is andres next step in promotional/next fight future plans?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How/when will andre ward leave dan goossen?

You really think Goosen is the reason Wards not a big deal? not that im attacking your point of view but it does prompt some thoughts... As you said , he's pound 4 pound number 2 ... and HBO doesn't want to show his fights because of his style and he cant draw flies to crap outside of oakland. The son of god thing and nice guy persona... theres a bunch of factors that are working against Ward.

Getting emotion or passion from this guy in the ring is about as hard as it is outside of the ring. Guys like tyson ,even past his prime, were animals and that sells tickets. Guys like mayweather, broner are flashy and annoying regardless of talent and people will pay to see them knocked unconscious. Hopkins has his battle against old age as his schtick, Jones used to clown.. what does ward have?

He kayo'd a weight drained Dawson whose already been beat here or there. But other than that, hes not really obliterating guys, by blitzing them in 2 rounds or leaving them never the same. Its sad to base this on blood lust like that but its a violent sport. Be violent or be special. noone will buy a ppv to see you stink people to death and maul them on the inside to a wide points decision. Ward is a detriment to his own marketability. just my opinion of course, i could be wrong.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    You really think Goosen is the reason Wards not a big deal? not that im attacking your point of view but it does prompt some thoughts... As you said , he's pound 4 pound number 2 ... and HBO doesn't want to show his fights because of his style and he cant draw flies to crap outside of oakland. The son of god thing and nice guy persona... theres a bunch of factors that are working against Ward.

Getting emotion or passion from this guy in the ring is about as hard as it is outside of the ring. Guys like tyson ,even past his prime, were animals and that sells tickets. Guys like mayweather, broner are flashy and annoying regardless of talent and people will pay to see them knocked unconscious. Hopkins has his battle against old age as his schtick, Jones used to clown.. what does ward have?

He kayo'd a weight drained Dawson whose already been beat here or there. But other than that, hes not really obliterating guys, by blitzing them in 2 rounds or leaving them never the same. Its sad to base this on blood lust like that but its a violent sport. Be violent or be special. noone will buy a ppv to see you stink people to death and maul them on the inside to a wide points decision. Ward is a detriment to his own marketability. just my opinion of course, i could be wrong.
    I respect your opinion.

I understand that andre fighting style and image is not to everyone liking...but, golden boy would make a big difference to andre going forward and perhaps reinvention after this shoulder injury.

New shoulder. New promotional company. New image?

Andre wont ever be that mayweather/broner type kind of guy but hes beaten the best and the chad dawson fight wasnt all about weight.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

..and I respect your opinion also...

No of course it wasn't all about weight for Dawson. The problem was dawson was already exposed previous to that. Had Dawson been flawless to that point, that victory would have been worth more than it was. Him beating Hopkins on "youth" and the fights against pascal, didn't really spike Dawson's stock the way it should before the fight and the Stevenson ko of Dawson after dropped it even further.

The win over Kessler (people call the butts a factor), and his smothering of Froch in Typical Ward style... are the reason no ones blaming froch for looking for more options rather than avenging that loss. The hemming and hawing over fighting dirrell was also off putting to some fans. His outboxing of artur "wait for the magic punch" abraham was impressive but lost traction because Direll had been doing the same thing before he got krack-a-lacked, and Abraham has slowed and looked like hell afterwards. Credit to ward for doing what he had to do in the tourney (except for the direll issue) but those guys fought ward regardless of style because of their contracts. Now the payoff isn't worth the work.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dan is one of the only players stopping Gbp and TR from becoming bigger monopolies then they already are. Warren had the same type of gig in England and now Matchroom will probably become the new Warren. We rarely see inter promotional fights as it is if ever.

Its not Dans fault or even Wards. Its what the viewing public demands. Highlight reel knockouts. Hard core fans have no say in the matter. Nobody wants to watch a boxing match. Hbo if it had its way would refuse to broadcast one. Rigo's own promoter goes public shitting on him right after he made Donaire look like a guy brought in off the street. Wards style simply does not appeal to the backyard piss tank who just happens to be the schlep that buys PPV on mass even though not really following the sport.They want that ko before the pizza is delivered. I dont think Arum would even sign him and I'm not sure Gbp would now that they have a massive contract with Showtime.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I fall asleep just thinking about a ward fight.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    Well, alot of people share that view.

I quite like the way ward breaks a guy down but i know im in the minority.

Perhaps if ward beats froch in his hometown after the 3rd kessler fight that will make him even more appealing overseas.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

I respect your opinion.

I understand that andre fighting style and image is not to everyone liking...but, golden boy would make a big difference to andre going forward and perhaps reinvention after this shoulder injury.

New shoulder. New promotional company. New image?

Andre wont ever be that mayweather/broner type kind of guy but hes beaten the best and the chad dawson fight wasnt all about weight.
    How would Golden Boy help Andre Ward? What influence do they have in the Super Middleweight division? Sakio Bika? Ward already beat him. Ward won't fight a Dirrell, and vice versa. He also won't fight Bernard Hopkins. In my opinion, the issue with Ward isn't his promoter or the network he's on, it's that he doesn't have many options at Super Middleweight. Unfortunately, he needs to make the jump to light heavyweight. In fact, he should stay on HBO and not move to Golden Boy because HBO has better action at light heavyweight with Kovalev, Stevenson, Pascal, Bute and Cleverly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps if ward beats froch in his hometown after the 3rd kessler fight that will make him even more appealing overseas.
    I like watching Ward too. I don't need to see him face Froch again. Been there, done that. I would prefer to see Ward fight the champions at light heavyweight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

I like watching Ward too. I don't need to see him face Froch again. Been there, done that. I would prefer to see Ward fight the champions at light heavyweight.
    I like Ward he is an exceptional boxer. He now has to face Froch in the UK or Kessler in Denmark if he is offered big money, for the challenge of doing it in the other guys backyard and for his own legacy. Then he can move to light heavy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dont blame goosen . It's ward's boring style. He's the most boring fighter ive seen since hatton.

Im more excited by hopkins..

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Dont blame goosen . It's ward's boring style. He's the most boring fighter ive seen since hatton.

You are going mad. Hatton was exciting and Hopkins is a novelty. Ward beating the calibre of Kessler, Froch and stopping Dawson is a joy to see.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

See now that's funny. You sure know how to bait a hook.

Thread Information