Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Kronk Gym officially closed. NOOOO!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kronk Gym officially closed. NOOOO!!!

Report: Kronk Gym closed!
    www.fightnews.com
    Detroit's famous Kronk Gym has closed for good according to the Detroit Free Press. The facility brought to prominence by super trainer Emanuel Steward was the breeding ground for many world champions including ring legend Tommy Hearns. Efforts to raise enough funds to save the city-run facility were unsuccessful and the September theft of the copper pipes in the Kronk delivered the final KO blow, prompting Detroit's Recreation Department to force out the Kronk fighters, who have regrouped at a Gold's Gym in Dearborn. Steward reportedly plans to open a new Kronk Gym.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kronk Gym officially closed. NOOOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P.G.H Angel Eyes
    www.fightnews.com
    Detroit's famous Kronk Gym has closed for good according to the Detroit Free Press. The facility brought to prominence by super trainer Emanuel Steward was the breeding ground for many world champions including ring legend Tommy Hearns. Efforts to raise enough funds to save the city-run facility were unsuccessful and the September theft of the copper pipes in the Kronk delivered the final KO blow, prompting Detroit's Recreation Department to force out the Kronk fighters, who have regrouped at a Gold's Gym in Dearborn. Steward reportedly plans to open a new Kronk Gym.

Fuck Steward. its his damn fault the gym closed in the first place. His rich fat ass can't cough up enough money to keep it open? Give me a break.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont see how HBO, Steward, or any of the governing bodies of boxing could not put forth the money to keep the place open. It sounds ridiculous that money was even the issue. Either way Manny will open a new gym and his fighters im sure will adjust. Still sad to see it close
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk

F*** Steward. its his damn fault the gym closed in the first place. His rich fat a** can't cough up enough money to keep it open? Give me a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    I dont see how HBO, Steward, or any of the governing bodies of boxing could not put forth the money to keep the place open. It sounds ridiculous that money was even the issue. Either way Manny will open a new gym and his fighters im sure will adjust. Still sad to see it close

It really makes absolutly no sense that kronk would close. All the money stewart has, all the money that's been raised and thrown at the place to keep it open all these years, and plus the money it gets from being "city run".

Must have been some management issues, aka someone up top was mis-using funds and/or getting greedy. Honestly, how much does it cost to keep a gym up and running? Certainly not the millions and millions per year that kronk apparently needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stewart could have kept it open. But when it comes down to it, he's as money greedy as the rest of us

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive never known a rich gambler, well not for long
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope a new gym is built and takes the name. I think the city should have made Kronk a historic landmark. It's unbeleivable how water pipes can close a gym like Kronk. And I think we're bein to hard on Manny. I mean I doubt he makes any money on Kronk and he's done nothing but pour money into it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amat Its a shithole or it was the last time I was there

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Amat Its a shithole or it was the last time I was there
    Yeah I know. But thats still part of the mystique around it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is to bad, such a historical boxing site. I have read that Manny was paying all of the bills for the place, so Im not to shocked it closed up. You can only pump you own money into a place without a return investment for so long. I know Manny has more money than I will ever see (doesnt take much) but there is a point where you have to way the options. Then with the theft of the copper pipes, that stuff aint cheap to replace. Its a shame but not unforeseen.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny has already stated he can't afford to keep the place open single handedly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Detroit Recreation Center has been closed for several years now, Kronk was just a very small gym in the basement of the rec center that was still running. Like many buildings in the Detroit area it was falling into ruin and the city government is a joke and don't care, if you have ever been to detroit you would know the only nice area is downtown and right on the outskirts of downtowm where the Illitch family from Little Ceasers fame and the Detroit Redwings and Detroit Tiger fame has invested. The city has had one decent mayor in over 30 years and that was Dennis Archer and he knew there was nothing he could do to change the mindset of the people and the city around so he ran from the city and now we have Kwame Kilpatrick as mayor who is a total joke with a lame duck city council who could care less about the city and think of only lining their pockets. The city is known world wide for it's crime rate and one of the things that saved many kids from that fate was the Recreation Center along with Kronk and they let it fall apart. Stallone was just here yesterday for a preview of his new Rocky movie with a $100 a plate dinner set for saving the Kronk gym, Kronk is just a small part of the rec center and no mention of saving the biggest part of it, just the basement gym. You can't save a basement and let the structure above it fall apart. Kronk has a lot of history known world wide but thats what it is now, History. The rec center and Kronk is owned by the city, not Stewart, it's just where he did his business and trained many champions, blame the city for it's demise not Emanual Stewart.

http://www.kronkboxingteam.com/Champions.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

www.fightnews.com

F*** Steward. its his damn fault the gym closed in the first place. His rich fat a** can't cough up enough money to keep it open? Give me a break.
    That's my thoughts exactly
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    www.fightnews.com

That's my thoughts exactly
    If Stewerd owned the gym I would agree with you guys, but since the city owns it and they closed it down because of budget crunches, whats he to do, sure he could afford to put pipes back in it and keep it going for a little while, but the city has now ear marked the building for vandelism like they have hundreds of others, and I'm sure the city would not sell the building to him. and if they would it would take milliions to put it in shape. It's sad because even with a new Kronk someplace else, the history from that gym is what made it special. I've lived here all my life and you guys just don't know the history of Detroit other then maybe being the Auto capital of the world. But the Brewster gym and recreation center is still open, do any of you know the history of that rec center, thats where the great Joe louis trained. But to blame one man for the demise of the kronk gym closing is a joke, it's obviously from people who have no clue of whats going on in this city.

Thread Information