Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ali v Foreman or Fury v Wilder- Which was a BIGGER SHOCK win?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ali v Foreman or Fury v Wilder- Which was a BIGGER SHOCK win?

I'd honestly have to say the Fury v Wilder win was bigger than the Ali/Foreman win. With Ali, and I don't know why they had Foreman so high up on the odds, but Ali was an Olympics Gold medalist, more mature than Foreman and had more experience and was much better boxer.

With Fury, NO ONE gave Fury a chance. He was a coke-head fresh off of a binge. Amazing!!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ali v Foreman or Fury v Wilder- Which was a BIGGER SHOCK win?

Which Fury-Wilder are you referring to? The first one was a draw, so I presume you mean the 2nd one.

That being the case, I'd say Ali-Foreman was the bigger shock hands down.

For the 2nd Fury-Wilder fight, most were saying that Fury had really won the 1st fight, and some were picking Fury in the rematch. Wilder's chance was reduced to him landing the right hand, and we all saw the result of what happened.

Ali-Foreman was a true shocker. Foreman was an "invincible" monster who had notably CRUSHED two men who had already defeated Ali, Frazier and Ken Norton.

Foreman also had the age advantage (25 vs 32 years of age for Ali), whereas Wilder gives away 3 years to Fury.

People actually feared for Ali's life in Zaire that night. They thought the way George had dismantled Frazier the year before, there was no way Ali was going to survive his bombs in there.

Fury getting the draw in their first fight was indeed a shocker, as he was coming off his implosion, as you say. But IMO Ali-Foreman was a hell of a lot more shocking.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury already beat Wilder the first time and got shafted by the judges.

The only real shock was Fury taking the fight to Wilder and pulversing him. That was amazing to watch but Ali was considered old and past it when he fought Big George.

Foreman was a olympic gold medalist, undefeated, young, brutal puncher who people thought would destroy everyone in his path. Also the fight being in Zaire added another feature that made that fight mythical.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    I'd honestly have to say the Fury v Wilder win was bigger than the Ali/Foreman win.
    "The Rumble In Jungle" was one of the most iconic sporting moments of the last century.

In fact can you name a bigger sporting global sporting moment of the last century ?

I'm thinking and I can't. You can say football world cups but that's often only big to the nation that wins it.

I don't think they'll be writing books on Wilder Fury and films the way they done with Ali - Foreman

In fact forget sports for second, outside of war - the only incidents that beat the global impact and were more known globally than the Rumble in the Jungle

Where

• JFK assassination
    • 9/11
    • The release of Nelson Mandela
    • Trump getting in Office
    • Princess Diana killing

Maybe people can think of others but they're the only incidents in the last century that I'd say that top the Rumble in the Jungle

I
    With Ali, and I don't know why they had Foreman so high up on the odds, but Ali was an Olympics Gold medalist, more mature than Foreman and had more experience and was much better boxer.
    Well it's easy to say that now. But would you have said that in 1974 ? You gotta understand in 1974. Ali wasn't the legend that he is now. He was seen as a faded fighter who went to hell and back with Frazier and Norton. Two guys who Foreman bounced around the ring

With Fury, NO ONE gave Fury a chance. He was a coke-head fresh off of a binge. Amazing!!
    Dude. What the hell you talking about ? Wilder was only the slightest of favorites

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd honestly have to say the Fury v Wilder win was bigger than the Ali/Foreman win. With Ali, and I don't know why they had Foreman so high up on the odds, but Ali was an Olympics Gold medalist, more mature than Foreman and had more experience and was much better boxer.

See, when you say “SHOCK”, Fury v Wilder wasn’t a massive shock.
    For the reasons we know about coke head, weight loss, etc. It SHOULD HAVE BEEN the biggest shock, but the truth is that Wilder ain’t that good and hence it wasn’t a big shock.
    I don’t know how old you are, whether you lived through the Rumble in the Jungle, but the reason it was a massive shock is because what Foreman had done to Frazier.
    If that happened nowadays , it would be so hyped, they would make Foreman fight 3 guys on the same night.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You posting something with a grain of sense would Trump them both.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't really see the similarities with Foreman having near decapitated Frazier and Norton after both gave Ali hell and Wilder having arguably losing to the man he was about factually lose to again. Besides..it's Wilder. We all saw the flaws and holes under the hysteria of a BIG RIGHT HAND and those itty bity legs where as Foreman was a legitimate two fisted one man wrecking crew but Ali picked up on his questionable gas tank.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury is still a bigger shock.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both Foremon and Wilder seemed like dead men walking start of the fight. None of them were shocking like Ruiz vs Joshua or Douglas Tyson.

Thread Information