Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct way to throw the left hook to avoid injury...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Correct way to throw the left hook to avoid injury...

Ok this is a little bit of a variation on "How do you throw a left hook"

What causes injuries when a left hook is thrown improperly... I find that I have a lot more chance of tweaking muscles throwing the left hook then any other punch that I throw... what causes this?

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Correct way to throw the left hook to avoid injury...

Basically the elbow being not in line with the foot and shoulder on impact.Putting to much leverage on the shoulder.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmmm... interesting... I didn't know that and it was why I asked. My shoulder is what is taking the brunt of the injuries so maybe just knowing this will help... any other tips!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What gives the power is the opposite shoulder, what gives it direction is the front foot, what gives stability is the backfoot

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and always turn the fist, so the fist matches his chin line it protects the thumb youre hitting him with your knuckles and locking by contraction the muscles and tendons in the shoulder for the shock and recoil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hip movement is important,but its also a shot you shouldnt be winding up on,it puts undue stress on the shoulder when your shoulder and hip reach the point that impact should be being made and your fist is still trailing,it creates a serious jerk on your rotator cuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    What gives the power is the opposite shoulder, what gives it direction is the front foot, what gives stability is the backfoot
    People say that if you can't explain something simply you don't understand it - I get the impression you understand it CC Scrap

I never feel right winding up for a hook and oddly it feels stronger if I don't I think. Maybe it's what you say about that being bad for the shoulder CC Monkey
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When on a bag, alittle tip. When throwing combos to the head area on the bag Hooks jabs crosses and uppercuts should all land on the same spot. To throw the hook at the side of the bag is bad practice for direction, theirs nobody with a head that size youre practicing missing the target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the tip CC Scrap - I think I did miss with a big unco looking left hook last time i sparred
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When on a bag, alittle tip. When throwing combos to the head area on the bag Hooks jabs crosses and uppercuts should all land on the same spot. To throw the hook at the side of the bag is bad practice for direction, theirs nobody with a head that size youre practicing missing the target.
    More great stuff for the 'what works' section.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tried this today and it really worked. I have been suffering from pain where my thumb meets the wrist when i throw hooks. This bag advice combined with a change in my wrap technique worked a treat. Cheers for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reg. Scrap´s last post about head combinations and direction I find the maize ball an exellent equipment far better for most than the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is a good point. many guys often hit the side of the bag. it's simply wrong. this is what makes throwing a TRUE left hook on the bag a bit tricky. Those ultra slim Thai banana bags are better of it. The only time I aim for the side is if I'm emulating a body shot, where the trunk area is thicker than the head. and when I'm working TRUE left hooks on the bag, I don't look to HIT the bag, but rather skim the front of it and SPIN the bag, which would be tantamount to clippng the guy's chin. This is the best way I know of to work a proper elbow UP palm DOWN left hook on the bag. ps, no it doesn't hurt your hand or wrist. Just clip the bag enough to spin it, which will also help slow down or stop your arm, lust like hitting a person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Scrap,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by turning the fist to match the chin line. Does that mean your palm (obviously closed) is facing the floor? Or is it supposed to face yourself, so that your knuckles are all in a line vertically?

Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Facing the floor so the knuckles are along the Jaw line on impact, it also protects the rotator locking it giving better shoulder balance

Thread Information