0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto"s only HOPE to wın ıs by KO FAST

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post

Cotto has two chances. Slim and none...and slim just left town.

Cotto will not win a round.
    That's your take on it and that's fine, Mayweather has given us no reason to think he'll lose anytime soon, but stranger things have happened. Cotto is bigger & stronger than Marquez and he's more polished than Ortiz....I like his chances better than those guys. Cotto also boxes better than Mosley at this point in time. So yes I'm cheering for Cotto, but I understand he's an underdog.
    He's too slow and he's not at his best weight class. Moreover, I'm not convinced Cotto has the hunger that it appeared he had in previous years. Margarito may have zapped him of it.
    Now you're just clutching at straws. You have zero basis for the statements you just made - Lyle debunked your speed argument, the weight class issue..well he obviously feels its where he needs to be right now or would be at 147. Then the whole, "he's not hungry". Really? You don't think he's hungry against Floyd?? Nonsense imo
    Where I'm coming from is that pre-Margarito, Cotto was a different fighter. Since then he seems more fragile. I have no basis for it. Even with any perceived added fragility, he's still a very capable fighter.

I wrote a lengthy post with the reasons I thought Cotto had little shot in this fight. I won't repeat them again. I also prefaced that post by saying that I view Cotto as a borderline-hall of famer, and greatly admire hiis boxing skills and career. So, in no way, do I mean to disparage the Puerto Rican warrior. I just think he's got an unsurmountable hill to climb in fighting Pretty Boy.

With regard to weight, in my estimation, Cotto is at 154 because he doesn't want to deal with cutting the extra weight. With his cache, it is something he has the power to do. It's not because he is more effective at 154. His choice of competition at 154 bares that out. In further support is that at 140 and 147, he fought everyone possible. Why do you think he is better at 154?

Also, remember pre-Ortiz and pre-Marquez 3, I was one of the only posters to view the Ortiz fight as a mismatch and also that in no way was Marquez getting schooled by Pacquiao because he has Pacquiao's number.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Now you're just clutching at straws. You have zero basis for the statements you just made - Lyle debunked your speed argument, the weight class issue..well he obviously feels its where he needs to be right now or would be at 147. Then the whole, "he's not hungry". Really? You don't think he's hungry against Floyd?? Nonsense imo

Slim :

1+2 - I dont have a problem with what you choose to film. Thats just an aside - it's your over emotional, yes irrational posting towards Floyd Mayweather. I dont think anybody overates him. He is what he is. Probably the best in our era who is still an active fighter. Another I'm sure that will be appreciated more when he's gone although if he and Pac fail to fight each other, it will slightly taint their legacy.
    You start having a fit about how people are on his nuts ane he cherry picks blah blah. Every champion has at some point cherry picked and if we look back neutrally Floyd is nowhere near one of the worst offenders IMO it's how far ahead in skills he is that annoys people.

3+4 There was a HUGE clamour for MAyweather Mosley! Especiallg after the Margarito win, the noise about how Floyd is scared of Shane got louder. Nobody thought Floyd would sign for that fight but to a lot of peoples surprise, he did. Not to pick on him but Miles/Gandalf is one I distictly remember giving him respect for doing so and post-fight gave him shit for fighting a "shot mosley". I have the memory of an elephant

Well done for having a civilised debate though.
    I understand where you're coming from. I get a bit more emotional about certain fighters than I should. Personally, him not fighting the best wouldn't have bothered me so much if he didn't talk as much as he did. I just need to stop paying attention to what he does outside of the ring.

I'm often too quick to insult somebody when I don't agree with them. It's a habit of mine. But I try and fix my mistakes when the person I insult turns out to not deserve it. I guess I usually expect them to prove my opinion on them wrong.

And you have. So, uh... I'm sorry for being a presumptuous dickhead.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Cotto keeps it close for a few rounds but then Mayweather pulls away and wins easily on points.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I think Cotto keeps it close for a few rounds but then Mayweather pulls away and wins easily on points.
    That is what Hatton has said too, but if it is close I think Cotto will not lose his head like Ricky did.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    That is what Hatton has said too, but if it is close I think Cotto will not lose his head like Ricky did.
    Cotto is a more well rounded boxer than Ricky ever was, plus he's fighting at a good weight for him (unlike when Ricky fought Floyd at 147). I just think Cotto will give Floyd a very difficult fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the last time, his being a well rounded boxer is not a positive going into this fight! If anything his only chance is to try and fight like Hatton did.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    For the last time, his being a well rounded boxer is not a positive going into this fight! If anything his only chance is to try and fight like Hatton did.

Cotto's best chance is to keep Floyd guessing if he's going to box or going to brawl. Hatton had 1 style and how many rounds did that win him? Miguel Cotto is diverse in his approach and to not use the gifts & skills he has is fucking stupid......perhaps Miguel should just windmill his arms around and walk towards Floyd.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Cotto's best chance is to keep Floyd guessing if he's going to box or going to brawl. Hatton had 1 style and how many rounds did that win him? Miguel Cotto is diverse in his approach and to not use the gifts & skills he has is fucking stupid......perhaps Miguel should just windmill his arms around and walk towards Floyd.

Had Cotto not dropped Joe Santiago from his corner after one ill-advised fight with him..... there's no telling WHAT the fight plan would've been going into the Floyd fight. Damn, I wish he could've had that Pacquaio fight back.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct. He has to be the old Cotto willing to engage and go to war. This stick and move Cotto has no chance.

Hatton gets put down, but he did better against Floyd than everyone in recent years.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Correct. He has to be the old Cotto willing to engage and go to war. This stick and move Cotto has no chance.

Hatton gets put down, but he did better against Floyd than everyone in recent years.

Thank you I'm not saying Cotto shouldn't be smart, but for him to box with Floyd is basically conceding defeat. His ability to move and fight off the back foot will not serve him whatsoever and he needs to know this. He needs to come forward behind his jab and really invest in the body if he wants to even make a fight of it imo. Also Lyle, Hatton did what he could against Floyd and that was far from windmilling his arms He had much faster feet than Cotto at that point and still could barely ever get in position to land meaningfully.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    And hopıng for that fast KO wıll not happen ıf he doesnt rush ın wıldly ın a sort of bullyıng shovıng rough house manner. Standıng and boxıng wıll be lıke watchıng Bert Cooper stand and box wıth Evander Holyfıeld.

If Cotto ıs Cooper he has a chance. as dıd Cooper for a few glorıous moments.

I don’t see it that way at all. Cotto has a great jab and you need one of those to even enter the chance sweepstakes. Cotto will also try to switch seeing that he’s a natural leftie but he will attempt to go south paw and especially his feet at the right moments. Can’t see him trying to box that way or he will be eating right hands. There are plenty of intangibles in this fight and it puzzles me at the amount of people across the web who give Cotto no shot at all. I wonder if people said the same thing about Lamotta the first time he faced Robinson. Cotto has a new trainer and seems rejuvenated. I bet they watched the Oscar and Castillo 1 fights over and over again even though Cotto is previously known to not watch tape. People are really discounting Diaz as a trainer.

Another aspect that people do not really talk about or dismiss out hand is Floyds head space. Part of his game plan is getting under his opponent’s skin as the reactions fuel his own fire. Talk about subdued; this 24/7 is a cure for insomnia. Add to that thee impending doom even though it is only 90 days and he does 45. He’s got about a month of freedom left. Nobody can tell me that does not have an effect also. This combined with his inactivity and conserved use of his legs lately could make for at least and interesting first half. Cotto could not have the stars more aligned to give him his best chance.

Will he win? Highly unlikely. Can he win? Floyds a human with a lot going on. Wishful thinking I suppose being a die hard Cotto fan but upsets are a big part of boxing. I do think it will be a much better fight then most. If I was betting I’d put the coin with Floyd in a comfortable UD. No stoppage I don’t think because they are wearing Grants and Everlast. Same with Alvarez and Shane. I would have thought there would be a couple of pairs Reyes in the mix.

Have not posted in awhile. Excuse the long winded response.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    And hopıng for that fast KO wıll not happen ıf he doesnt rush ın wıldly ın a sort of bullyıng shovıng rough house manner. Standıng and boxıng wıll be lıke watchıng Bert Cooper stand and box wıth Evander Holyfıeld.

I don’t see it that way at all. Cotto has a great jab and you need one of those to even enter the chance sweepstakes. Cotto will also try to switch seeing that he’s a natural leftie but he will attempt to go south paw and especially his feet at the right moments. Can’t see him trying to box that way or he will be eating right hands. There are plenty of intangibles in this fight and it puzzles me at the amount of people across the web who give Cotto no shot at all. I wonder if people said the same thing about Lamotta the first time he faced Robinson. Cotto has a new trainer and seems rejuvenated. I bet they watched the Oscar and Castillo 1 fights over and over again even though Cotto is previously known to not watch tape. People are really discounting Diaz as a trainer.

Another aspect that people do not really talk about or dismiss out hand is Floyds head space. Part of his game plan is getting under his opponent’s skin as the reactions fuel his own fire. Talk about subdued; this 24/7 is a cure for insomnia. Add to that thee impending doom even though it is only 90 days and he does 45. He’s got about a month of freedom left. Nobody can tell me that does not have an effect also. This combined with his inactivity and conserved use of his legs lately could make for at least and interesting first half. Cotto could not have the stars more aligned to give him his best chance.

Will he win? Highly unlikely. Can he win? Floyds a human with a lot going on. Wishful thinking I suppose being a die hard Cotto fan but upsets are a big part of boxing. I do think it will be a much better fight then most. If I was betting I’d put the coin with Floyd in a comfortable UD. No stoppage I don’t think because they are wearing Grants and Everlast. Same with Alvarez and Shane. I would have thought there would be a couple of pairs Reyes in the mix.

Its not like Cotto to do it but he should say at the weigh in "I would of been polite and asked for a rematch clause with you Floyd but you wont be out and about for that one Im told". 1-0 Cotto.

I would try every trick in the book if i was Miguel, even fainting injury late in rounds to draw him in to go for the kill.

Id be practicing alot of elbow blocks with half steps and hooks too.

Flying hooks around jabs taking the jab with the rear, switching to follow floyd out faster on angles and step jab and smother, you name it, every trick in the book.

We live in hope.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Its not like Cotto to do it but he should say at the weigh in "I would of been polite and asked for a rematch clause with you Floyd but you wont be out and about for that one Im told". 1-0 Cotto.

I would try every trick in the book if i was Miguel
    , even fainting injury late in rounds to draw him in to go for the kill.

Id be practicing alot of elbow blocks with half steps and hooks too.

Flying hooks around jabs taking the jab with the rear, switching to follow floyd out faster on angles and step jab and smother, you name it, every trick in the book.

We live in hope.
    So would I. Nothing to lose and perhaps its his last fight anyway.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the best post from a new member I've read in a good while, hope you stick around

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eggggsactly! Very level headed response.
    I get the feeling most people are reaching for arguments that mean if Floyd wins he automatically doesn't get credit.. instead of looking at the facts. Cotto is a champion in a higher weight class and a future Hall of Famer with a stellar CV.

I've said before that if you think Floyd is going to have such a stroll in the park against Cotto then you're a bigger fan of him than the most ardent of Flomo's.

Thread Information