Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pacquiao/Bradley - a counterpoint

I seem to be in the 0.000001 percent who doesn't really have a problem with the decision.

I thought Manny was well in control after the sixth round, but elected to go into cruise control from the eighth onward. I think that is what cost him.

That said, I've always believed the 10-point must system is an inadequate way to score a prize fight.

I've summed up my thoughts on the whole shooting match here:-

The View from the Outer | Thoughts on sport, music, film, books and life.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My immediate reaction was utter shock, disbelief and disgust (as per the main fight thread) but after literally an hour I decided look at the fight in a different way.

I thought Pacquiao won but I can easily see how you can score the fight to Bradley.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao/Bradley - a counterpoint

I mention in the article, Dan Rafael of ESPN tweeted after the 10th "It's all Manny, all the time through 10."

Even Roach told Pacquiao he lost that round, how anyone could score round 10 for Pac is beyond me.

Similarly though, how two of the three judges gave Bradley the fifth is beyond me

I just think the level of hysteria is completely over the top on this one - as I said, I thought Pacquiao won, but observers who scored it 119-111 and this kind of thing are flat out kidding themselves.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hysteria, yeah that's a good word.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good Def Leppard album - but I'm giving my age away there

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Filofax. While were on the subject

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just a plain old fax?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I seem to be in the 0.000001 percent who doesn't really have a problem with the decision.

I thought Manny was well in control after the sixth round, but elected to go into cruise control from the eighth onward. I think that is what cost him.

That said, I've always believed the 10-point must system is an inadequate way to score a prize fight.

I've summed up my thoughts on the whole shooting match here:-

The View from the Outer | Thoughts on sport, music, film, books and life.
    Well, I can agree with you that Pacquiao got either lazy, wanted to make it a better fight for the fans and that he can only blame himself for letting the fight get away. Yes, too believe the state of boxing would be better removing subject judging from boxing, but to give the fight to Bradley when he did even less to earn it is just wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you saying you don't understand the hysteria...? Or that you're just confident in your score and don't... care? I feel there's a subtle difference.

(What is a filofax? I've heard that word, is that like the oldschool index card system thing in the library? Hmm....)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Ecolibri,

Yes, I'm saying I can't understand the hysteria.

I think the boxing media are manipulating people into thinking this was a more one-sided fight than what it really was, starting with Jim Lampley and the HBO crew.

It's funny, but people I've spoken to who watched the fight in countries that took the international feed, the feed where Brian Kenny did the commentary, have nowhere near such a visceral response to the decision.

Dan Rafael of ESPN scored the bout 119-111 to Pacquiao. Now, the way I see it that is as far away from the actual result as the judges who scored it for Bradley were!!

He didn't even give Bradley round 10, which is flat-out ridiculous - proving my point that these guys, whose opinions carry a lot of weight, watch Pacquiao through rose-coloured glasses, seeing only the good things he does and not the good work of the other guy.

I scored the bout 115-113 for Pacquiao, I think he was unlucky not to win. But this was not, in my opinion, a robbery. He had the ascendancy in the middle rounds, and I thought Bradley was going to quit at a couple of points when he looked completely despondent in the corner.

Then Pacquiao eased off, took his foot off the pedal.

That's the way I see it - I saw the fight for Pacquaio, but it was a close fight, so much closer than the majority of the boxing press - ESPECIALLY the boxing press who are prevalent on social media, are making it out to be.

I saw the fight the way I saw it, and I'll continue to believe in my own skills of analysing a fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was waiting the whole fight for Pacquiao to put his foot on the pedal, he just wasn't the same assertive, Pacman that we have seen these past 5-6 years. I had a feeling he was going to be in trouble getting a decision by mid fight. At no time after round 6 did he look like he was going to knock Bradley out and there were no real clear cut winning rounds. The rounds were close, but i did not see Manny Pacquiao take control of this fight, i always thought he was allowing Bradley far to much latitude and for some bizarre reason he would spring into action when he heard the 10 second clapper? I have no issue with the decision and i watched it again just now. Pacquiao had an off night, that's two off nights in a row.
    He was given not out in his last fight against Marquez, but he's heading for three strikes and your out territory. He might just lose the rematch too.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was like watching Usain Bolt slow down at the 60 metre mark because he's so far ahead, but is still in complete control with no danger of losing.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The reason Pacquiao didnt look as good as has for a few years is because of the opponent. Bradley wasnt being weekened to make acatch weight, he wasnt years past his best or coming off any beatings. Pacquiao had a live opponent that made him work and was catching him, thats why he wouldnt open up!

I think Ortiz would beat Pacquiao too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    The reason Pacquiao didnt look as good as has for a few years is because of the opponent. Bradley wasnt being weekened to make acatch weight, he wasnt years past his best or coming off any beatings. Pacquiao had a live opponent that made him work and was catching him, thats why he wouldnt open up!

I think Ortiz would beat Pacquiao too.
    Its true.
    Lets give credit to mosely, marquez and bradley for nulifying pacs output

Lets stop discrediting pacs skills by saying hes past it or hes out of his prime!

If pac was to fight a margarito type of fighter 4 times up until now we would not be saying this.

Pac is still very good and so is mayweather. They are not past it yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting article. Surely if most of the rounds were that close then there's really no problem with giving most of them to Manny letting Bradley have 1 maybe two??

I watched the fight Sunday afternoon, I didn't score it but Manny appeared to land the most effective punches. Bradley did have some success but appeared to be on the receiving end in most exchanges. Manny was the harder hitter, he landed more also.

Bradleys footwork was good but so Pacs. Neither fighter looked outstanding and it wasn't the most exciting fight. Not in a rush to sit through it again to score it but to me Pac looked to have won a pretty uneventful fight. I was surprised by the decision but for some reason I wasn't disgusted even though I thought I should be perhaps just getting used to dodgy decisions.

Thread Information