Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's time for JC to take the crown from PBF?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It's time for JC to take the crown from PBF?

First Lacy and then Kessler! If he destroys Hopkins in the same fashion he did with the prior two I fell as though Calzaghe should be P4P king of the world. That's saying alot considering PBF has a hell of a resume including Pac, but I just see Joe making the jump here. THE BRITISH ARE COMING THE BRITISH ARE COMING, the strip is going to be packed with them the weekend of the fight

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It's time for JC to take the crown from PBF?

I'm a Calzaghe fan. I like him a lot, nice style, work ethic and a diligent trainer. Have watched most of his fights and followed him for a while now. But I couldn't really justify him being placed as p4p No.1.

Currently I have him located in the upper regions of the top 5. However at the top of the scale we have placed; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.
    There are issues which need to be addressed. Pacquiao's last performance was less than stellar, many feeling he barely squeaked over the line to victory. However as the fight was with a fellow pound for pound ranked fighter, he is forgiven and should remain ranked behind Mayweather alone.

Floyd's ranking is more of a hazed issue. Floyd's inactivity is the only detail which casts a shadow of doubt onto his supremacy.
    Can we justify his spot atop the rankings although he is blatantly refusing to fight? Can a fight later in the year (even a victory over DLH) adequatly endorse his skill to allow him the number 1 spot?

Well thats for you guys to decide, but even if he is removed (he's no.1 or not included he won't slip) Calz is still behind Pac, because of competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

p4p is impossible to judge. Do you go on resume? if so, how far back? or do you go on how unbeatable they look?

As a fan of Joe I rate him high, IMO he's technically better than Pacqiao with fewer exploitable weaknesses, but behind Floyd in the same department. If he beats B-hop, IMO his resume over last few years compares favourably with Floyd's, but well behind the names on Pac's record.
    I still have Floyd No.1 due to his remarkeble talent, then Pac second then Joe. After that it gets even hazier.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    p4p is impossible to judge. Do you go on resume? if so, how far back? or do you go on how unbeatable they look?

As a fan of Joe I rate him high, IMO he's technically better than Pacqiao with fewer exploitable weaknesses, but behind Floyd in the same department. If he beats B-hop, IMO his resume over last few years compares favourably with Floyd's, but well behind the names on Pac's record.
    I still have Floyd No.1 due to his remarkeble talent, then Pac second then Joe. After that it gets even hazier.
    That's pretty much what I would say too.

Beating Hopkins doesn't mean Joe could beat Floyd P4P. I'd CONFIDENTLY back Cazlaghe to beat Pac P4P whether he beats Hopkins or not.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

No way Mayweather has beaten many more quality opponents than Calzaghe, he also has many more achievements. And plus P4P Mayweather would beat Calzaghe so how exactly should Calzaghe be above Mayweather P4P ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He won to Kessler , but in that Div. still having more great and competitive challenger , after this fight with B.H. , he need to fight with others Champ and classified #1 in that Div.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think if Calzaghe was to beat Hopkins soundly, ie knock him out or
    totally dominate him I would put him at no2 p4p, but still wouldnt put him ahead of Mayweather, be intresting if De La Hoya was to ko Floyd though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joe beats Hopkins then yeah he'd be p4p number 1 and If Hop beats Joe I'd put him at number 1 .

Floyds inactive and his next 2 fights are likley to be against Oscar and Hatton again so fighting guys coming off losses doesnt do it for me. Its Joes time now . Move over Floyd .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say yes if Joe beats Bhop in a dramatic fashion.

PBF is there on talent and his resume. However he hasn't won many of those in dominating fashion. The goal is to beat the other guy senseless. He doesn't seem to want to fight, just to win a decision.

In my book PBF is a bit of an underachiever. Pac is there for his tenacity and his opposition has been by far the most difficult. But considering Joe's domination of Lacy, solid win over Kessler, then winning convincingly over Bhop would earn it in my book.

Mind you it's dependent on a stellar performance against another top rated guy. And as always it's temporary. I just have a little more regard for the guys that really go for broke. In my opinion it's what PBF has been missing, although we did see some of that in the Hatton fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the things that I think really hurts his chances at p4p is that he has only been a champion in one division.

Plus the supermiddleweight division is not the star studded division that say a welterweight or a middleweight is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did Joe destroy Kessler? I think he won fairly easily, but destroyed? Come on Bookkeeper, winning by 3 or 4 rounds is not destroying someone its just a win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NO WAY! Floyd is still another level above Calzaghe, if Calzaghe beats Hopkins convincingly he deserves #2, but in terms of the p4p title I think that lacy was no where near the threat Hatton was to PBF in actuality, and that Lacy shouldn't count for much in hindsight, and though Kessler was a good fighter, he wasn't great. I think he will be a lot better in the future now that he knows what it takes, but Hopkins is the first great fighter Calzaghe has faced and he is 43... That has to be taken into consideration especially if he just outworks Hopkins, if Jermain Taylor has already done that then this will be nothing new except with Calzaghe pushing the fight more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The other thing to take into account is that if PBF beats a 35 yr old ODLH at 147 thats as big an achievment as a win over 43 yr old BHOP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame View Post

PBF is there on talent and his resume. However he hasn't won many of those in dominating fashion. The goal is to beat the other guy senseless. He doesn't seem to want to fight, just to win a decision.
    Floyd has dominated PLENTY of his opposition, are you kidding?! The only guys of recent that he didn't dominate.. were the two JLC fights.. Oscar (SD).. Zab Judah is borderline.. and other than that he outclassed plenty of his opposition.. i think floyd has legitimately been hurt ONCE.. and that's not counting when he broke his hand.. i think it was corley who caught him with a shot and floyd fell into the ropes and was stunned for a minute, but then came right back.. if thats not dominating fashion then i don't know what is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame View Post

Floyd has dominated PLENTY of his opposition, are you kidding?! The only guys of recent that he didn't dominate.. were the two JLC fights.. Oscar (SD).. Zab Judah is borderline.. and other than that he outclassed plenty of his opposition.. i think floyd has legitimately been hurt ONCE.. and that's not counting when he broke his hand.. i think it was corley who caught him with a shot and floyd fell into the ropes and was stunned for a minute, but then came right back.. if thats not dominating fashion then i don't know what is.
    Agreed. I think Luvfightgame needs to rewatch PBF v Corrales, Hatton, Gatti, Manfredy, Hernandez etc...... They are dominant performances over high quality opposition.

Thread Information