Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing is dying?

Where do people get this idea from? Do they not realise that De La Hoya-Mayweather brought in more money than any other fight in history, and it was all of about 5 seconds ago in the grand scheme of things? Granted the heavyweight division is absent of a true superstar and attractive personality, but that doesn't mean anything in regards to the sport.

A lot of times their argument is the growing popularity of MMA, but I tell those people time and time again that while MMA will continue to be popular, it'll likely never achieve the status of boxing. The reason being is that boxing is something that's become an iconic sport all around the world, a universal medium.

Also, I usually find that it's Americans making these claims more times than not, and I think that has more to do with the absence of a dominant American heavyweight/icon than anything going on in the sport.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing is dying?

here is a sort of related thread.

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...-over-mma.html

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't heard any of that nonsense after last year which was one of the best years for Boxing in a long time. Early last year yeah there was talk, especially after Floyd-Baldomir, but 2008 killed that noise quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is just the opposite of what critics have said, boxing is on its way back. Last year boxing made a big stride toward the mainstream sporting world. It was for a long time boxing had been off the radar, even big PPV fights were not talked about in the sporting pages of major newspapers. It is now talked about more often.

We will know boxing has really returned when Sports Illustrated starts to do articles on it again like the old days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People say it's dying because it's rarley talked about. Walk up to someone on the street on a Sunday or Monday and asked them if they saw the fight Saturday. Most times people have no clue a fight took place.Ask someone who the Heavyweight champ is. Hell i'm not even sure anymore and i don't think i care. The last fight some people saw was tyson lewis. During the weeks leading up to the DLH PBF fight there were signs that boxing was back. People were actullay talking about the sport. People kept asking me is the fight on tonight and who i was picking. Few weeks after the fight it was back to people not having a clue in the world as to what was happing in boxing.Yeah there are great fights taking place but nobody is aware of it. If you miss a fight on saturday and you don't have internet access good luck on finding the results.
    Last edited by The Boxer; 05-15-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unhappy Re: Boxing is dying?

Im a Big boxing fan, and I have to say I hear that also, And they say UFC Cage fighting is the Next thing.?.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cage fighting is totally different from boxing. Lets start comparing POLLO to Horse racing.

Boxing is much more fun to watch in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by barron71 View Post
    Cage fighting is totally different from boxing. Lets start comparing POLLO to Horse racing.

Boxing is much more fun to watch in my opinion.
    Definitely. I have nothing against MMA, and I'm absolutely positive that it requires a lot of skill and talent, but I can't help but be extremely board watching two guys wrestle around on the ground. I guess my love of finesse ( hence why I like basketball ) is probably what draws me to boxing more so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=aburwell89;517864]Where do people get this idea from? Do they not realise that De La Hoya-Mayweather QUOTE]

Say it ain't so!

Don't bring in Hoya or Mayweather as the savior of this sport!!!

At least bring in Cotto Margarito or Marquez Vasquez, but not those dopes, they killed the sport with their performance (floyd and oscar).

Thread Information