Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Was there ever a more talented Era then the 1980's???

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was there ever a more talented Era then the 1980's???

I was thinking about this the other day when someone posted on the old server a Thread about Was there ever a better year for big fights then 2007 in memory

The 1970's was the best HW era but IMO the 1980's had the most talented fighters all together as a whole.....

Be it guys who started in the 80' finished in the 80's or had their prime during the 80's...It was TALENT PACKED!!!!!.....I mean think about it...

Larry Holmes, Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Sal Sanchez, Wilfred Benitez, Alexis Arguello, Aaron Pryon, Thomas Hearns, Mike Tyson, Michael Spinks, Azuma Nelson, Davey Moore, Sadd Muhammad, Wilfredo Gomez, Carlos De Leon, Bazooka Limon, Ray Mancini, Hector Camacho, Michael Dokes, Tim Witherspoon, Donald Curry, Yaqui Lopez, John Mugabi, Saoul Mamby, Juan LaPorte, Milton McCrory, Mike Tyson, Jeff Chandler, Greg Page, Tony Tubbs, Rocky Lockridge, Barry McGuigan, Julian Jackson, Lloyd Honeyghan, Johnny Bumphus, Julio Cesar Chavez, Jeff Fenech, Iran Barkley, Pernell Whitaker, Livingstone Bramble, Gerry Cooney, John John Molina, Doug DeWitt, Greg Haugen, Michael Nunn, Michael Moorer, Frank Bruno, Terry Norris, Gerald McClellan, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn,

I could go on for another 100 names those were just off the top of my head and did not include the little guys under 122.....I mean really IMO the Talent was amazing...even the contenders that never won world titles were DAMN GOOD!!!! and in any other era probably would have been champion easy.....

Any opinions on this?

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was there ever a more talented Era then the 1980's???

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    I was thinking about this the other day when someone posted on the old server a Thread about Was there ever a better year for big fights then 2007 in memory

The 1970's was the best HW era but IMO the 1980's had the most talented fighters all together as a whole.....

Be it guys who started in the 80' finished in the 80's or had their prime during the 80's...It was TALENT PACKED!!!!!.....I mean think about it...

Larry Holmes, Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Sal Sanchez, Wilfred Benitez, Alexis Arguello, Aaron Pryon, Thomas Hearns, Mike Tyson, Michael Spinks, Azuma Nelson, Davey Moore, Sadd Muhammad, Wilfredo Gomez, Carlos De Leon, Bazooka Limon, Ray Mancini, Hector Camacho, Michael Dokes, Tim Witherspoon, Donald Curry, Yaqui Lopez, John Mugabi, Saoul Mamby, Juan LaPorte, Milton McCrory, Mike Tyson, Jeff Chandler, Greg Page, Tony Tubbs, Rocky Lockridge, Barry McGuigan, Julian Jackson, Lloyd Honeyghan, Johnny Bumphus, Julio Cesar Chavez, Jeff Fenech, Iran Barkley, Pernell Whitaker, Livingstone Bramble, Gerry Cooney, John John Molina, Doug DeWitt, Greg Haugen, Michael Nunn, Michael Moorer, Frank Bruno, Terry Norris, Gerald McClellan, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn,

I could go on for another 100 names those were just off the top of my head and did not include the little guys under 122.....I mean really IMO the Talent was amazing...even the contenders that never won world titles were DAMN GOOD!!!! and in any other era probably would have been champion easy.....

Any opinions on this?

The great thing Daxx..In twenty some odd years someother boxing addicts (my old arse Too) will be sitting around talking about the historic era of 2000 + .Technology has enabled us as fans to relive and appreciate boxing like we have yet to truley appreciate and understand.I love This Sport
    CC for a great point and another in 24 for the one lost during the Server transfer!

DOUG DEWITT And MICHAEL NUNN Just kidding man,Great names on that run down. Big props for Chandler Mention."Joltin" Jeff Demanded a Fight with Lupe Pintor in early 80's but Pintor struggled with weight and a mororcycle accident,saw fit to move up to Gomez instead of rightfully meeting fellow champ Chandler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was there ever a more talented Era then the 1980's???

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn

Any opinions on this?

The great thing Daxx..In twenty some odd years someother boxing addicts (my old a*** Too) will be sitting around talking about the historic era of 2000 + .Technology has enabled us as fans to relive and appreciate boxing like we have yet to truley appreciate and understand.I love This Sport
    CC for a great point and another in 24 for the one lost during the Server transfer!

DOUG DEWITT And MICHAEL NUNN Just kidding man,Great names on that run down. Big props for Chandler Mention."Joltin" Jeff Demanded a Fight with Lupe Pintor in early 80's but Pintor struggled with weight and a mororcycle accident,saw fit to move up to Gomez instead of rightfully meeting fellow champ Chandler.

DAMN SPICOLI.....There was no need to mention the age thing .....LOL Your right in 20 or so years the same thing will be happenening....I know what your saying about guys like Nunn and DeWitt thats why I said even the guys that were not champions or went on to be greats were goodthough...no just so so..they put on great fights.....Some guys were made to look ordinary due to such a wide talent pool...EG- Jerry Quarry in the HW division during the 70's...any other era that guy would have been champion but too many great fighters for a very good one to shine....if that makes sense?
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Thread Information