Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Junior Seau dead at 43

Reports: Junior Seau commits suicide at home - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Wow. This was certainly unexpected. Just saw it on MSN. It wasn't that long ago that Junior Seau was creating havoc as an All-Pro linebacker with the San Diego Chargers. Can't imagine what personal hell he was going through for him to commit suicide like that. A terrible, terrible loss. Tremendous loss for the NFL and for the sports world.

R.I.P. Junior

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Junior Seau dead at 43

It's sad, but what is worse is as the shock of this wears off this will be less about Seau and more and more about ESPN grandstanding about brain injuries in professional football....mark my words!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man this is really sad. From the outside it would seem as if Seau had it all but it proves that you never know. Unfortunately you are right Kabong but I don't think it will be in vain. After reading the facts surrounding Chris Henry's death and the post mortem analysis on his brain you can't help but speculate what would have caused a man who seemingly had everything to allegedly take his own life. But more importantly........RIP Seau and best wishes to his family in this difficult time. The video of his mother was heartwrenching.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was a big fan of his

R.I.P.

El Kabong Guest

And just like that Michael Wilbon of PTI brings up Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. I don't need a doctor to tell me slamming my head around every day for so long is bad and will cause damage, I already know it! ESPN is going to preach about this for 2 weeks straight.

Amazing that like 8 players of that 1995 San Diego Chargers team have died.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    It's sad, but what is worse is as the shock of this wears off this will be less about Seau and more and more about ESPN grandstanding about brain injuries in professional football....mark my words!

At first I thought your post to be kind of cynical. And THEN........ this morning I get to hear someone on Headline News insinuate as to how Seau may have shot himself in the chest rather than the head, in order to preserve the brain for medical studies.

Are these f*cking people on crack or something?!?!?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seau grew up poor in American Samoa before his family and him moved to San Diego, Ca. He was a real life success story, so this is sad and shocking. I figure the guy must have had some bad shit going on in his life to have done this, I guess we'll find out after the investigation.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pro football, hell football in general is just brutal on the body. Repeated head trauma causes brain damage which can lead to depression and things like this happen. I think in order for football to survive in the upcoming future it has to seriously mandate and enforce more tackling techniques to be more in line like rugby. Rugby players don't wear helmets or padding and their rates of concussion are very low because the players don't launch themselves head first or their bodies with reckless abandon and concentrate more on proper tackling.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

At first I thought your post to be kind of cynical. And THEN........ this morning I get to hear someone on Headline News insinuate as to how Seau may have shot himself in the chest rather than the head, in order to preserve the brain for medical studies.

Are these f*cking people on crack or something?!?!?
    Oh it was cynical, but believe me when I tell you the sports writers don't give 2 shits about the players & what happens to them, they are only interested in a story that sells and right now there's no hotter topic than concussions in the NFL (or NHL for that matter). As people that have played sports and closely followed sports (especially boxing) we are well aware that taking repetative blows to the head is not good, hell I wonder what damage I have done to my own brain and I've never once had a concussion (doesn't mean I haven't hit hard or been hit hard). Sports writers want to be bigger and more important than the stars they cover and that's just the outright truth of the matter. Look at ESPN, all the talking heads there act like they can predict the future just because they work in Bristol....they don't know shit. Skip Bayliss, Michael Wilbon, Woody Paige, Michael Smith, Tony Kornheiser, Tim Cowlishaw, Stephen A. Smith, Bill Plashke, Bob Ley....all of them they never played ball, they never experienced playing sports at a high level and they all want to preach to us about "What's good for the athletes" and "What's good for the game"....football hasn't changed, it's rough, it's difficult, and people get hurt, sometimes permenantly, trying to adjust the game to keep people from getting injured is pointless.

Check out the links below and also I'm going to bet you that Bob Ley and the preachy "ESPN: Outside The Lines" will devote their show to CTE & of course The Sports Reporters will whine about it all day Sunday as well. Mike Lupica is just a weasely little bastard.

Junior Seau's Suicide, And What We Know About Traumatic Brain Injury - SBNation.com
    Discussion of CTE Warranted After Junior Seau Death : RedZone Talk
    Neurosurgeon: Junior Seau's death fuels concussion concerns
    Junior Seau Dead: Case Highlights Questions of NFL Violence, Brain Injury, Possible Link to Depression, Suicide - ABC News
    Junior Seau, former San Diego Charger found dead; cops probe suicide - ESPN

El Kabong Guest

Also, no note, no mention of anything in his personal life that could explain him taking his life....so everyone jumps the gun and says it HAS to be CTE because they need to justify this suicide. And ESPN needs their talent to stand up on their soapboxes.

I heard Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayliss agree that "ESPN doesn't just offer people jobs, they are saving lives" ......and they were being serious. Don't injure youself patting ESPN on the back

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And people talk about Boxing being dangerous.

I really do wish that boxing were a school sport. It could teach people a thing or two. Not to mention, I would have an immense amount of fun after school.

Thread Information