Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default shadow boxing with weights

I do shadow kickboxing alot & my wife has sum of those sissy dumbell weights, what benefits will holding the weights do whilst shadowboxing? do they help with speed & will they help build muscle in my shoulders?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: shadow boxing with weights

There are better ways, Ill come back Im playing Question Time
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol.

Drago are you looking to train for speed or endurance?

I've done it occasionally. Not sure how beneficial it is. I think you'd have to be consistant with it. It's like training with bag gloves then putting on 18oz sparring gloves. You feel a difference. Problem is I've found is that because of the extra weight people slow their punches down. If you're looking for speed you don't want to do that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubber is better, it works and has the same propertys as muscle and the joints. The more you open the joint the weaker it becomes if you get my meaning.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You mean those exercise band thingies? I like those.

Do you mean open as in the potential for hyper extension? Or just open as in away from the body?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The more you extend a joint the weaker it becomes the more you stretch bands the weaker it becomes, plus it brings the Hands back naturally with the recoil. Ive noticed at the Uni a lot of press and Squat machines are being tested with Rubber instead of weigths at the moment, seems someone is taking notice at last.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did a little shadow boxing with light weights, never full force or fast though. I would do 1 round with 5 pound weights really, really slow focusing on form and getting my hands back to my face. I would then do another round with 3 pound weights slightly increasing speed. I would never fully extend or punch full power with weights in my hands. After that I would drop the weights and do a few rounds full speed. I definately noticed an improvement in my hand speed. Admittedly my advice is bad though because my trainer was a conditioning guy not a boxing coach.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers guys, yo killersheep i am looking more for conditioning anyway just want to try something different, sounds like i gotta take it easy with them then or risk injury?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    lol.

Drago are you looking to train for speed or endurance?

I've done it occasionally. Not sure how beneficial it is. I think you'd have to be consistant with it. It's like training with bag gloves then putting on 18oz sparring gloves. You feel a difference. Problem is I've found is that because of the extra weight people slow their punches down. If you're looking for speed you don't want to do that.
    more speed but would be good if i could build some muscle on shoulders @ the same time

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    cheers guys, yo killersheep i am looking more for conditioning anyway just want to try something different, sounds like i gotta take it easy with them then or risk injury?
    Yeah definately take it easy with them, like I said never ever fully extend or go full speed with weights. For conditioning on top of regular roadwork he had me do a lot of pull-ups, sledgehammer swings, a few kettlebell exercises, plyometric jumps like box jumps, split jumps and the like, and whatever it's called when you flip a tractor tire over. A big thing that helped me with my conditioning was in every session doing a warm-up then plyometric exercise, some kind of compound lifting, something for balance, something to work on reaction, bag work and finish with some low impact cardio. Keep in mind I wasn't specifically training to box though, I just wanted to get stronger and faster in general. Anything Scrap says to contradict this, take his word for it not mine.

A great exercise to strengthen your shoulders is to get dumbells and hold both of your arms straight out to the sides until you can't hold them out anymore count 3 slow breaths lift them out in front you again until you can't hold them anymore count 3 slow breaths again and repeat 3 times, don't do this before bagwork or you will regret it.
    Last edited by killersheep; 01-27-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the worst thing about them is they teach you to be tense while punching, instead of making a fist at the end of the motion your doing it from the get go. A muscle will only do what it has been taught, so you don't want to teach it an inefficient motion, velcro straps and elastic can add great resistance for much greater benefit.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    You mean those exercise band thingies? I like those.

Do you mean open as in the potential for hyper extension? Or just open as in away from the body?
    Yeah Dyna Bands,thats what I prefer as well,not only do you have to work to get the shots off,it teaches the muscle memory of quickly getting your hands back in to round

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good job i asked u guys otherwise i would of ended up doing jabs with 50kilo weights ha ha

&
    spent rest of year in hospital

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Rubber is better, it works and has the same propertys as muscle and the joints. The more you open the joint the weaker it becomes if you get my meaning.

Now are you talking about the long resistance bands, or the pro shadow boxer thing.

I own one of those pro shadow boxers that look like this:

Everlast Pro Shadow Boxer from Title MMA

However, it really only works straight punches, which is good, but its not good for throwing hooks and uppercuts.

Thread Information