Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 15 Seconds with Joe Louis

The Brown Bomber is one of those guys whose skills were so sublime and subtle one must watch over and over and over again to pick up everything. Jack Blackburn was a master teacher (and a great fighter in his own right) and a Joe Louis was a tremendous student.

Here is a 21 year old Joe Louis facing a taller, longer, heavier and more experienced Max Baer, owner of one of the most destructive right hands in boxing history. Have your mouse ready to start, stop and rewind frequently

At 2:20 of the tape it is in round four. Baer had finished round three strongly, but Louis was, for the most part controlling the action.

2:20-Louis begins a retreat and as Baer throws a left hook, Louis drives his weight forward and beats him to it with a counter right but misses.

2:21-Louis takes two quick steps backwards to reset distance and Baer jabs.

2:22-Louis parries the jab with his right hand and jabs himself. Boxing 101.

2:23-Baer closes and throws a short hook which Louis smothers by stepping towards Baer. Now a key moment. Baer's body is turned as he rotates through the hook and Louis takes his right hand, puts it on the back of Baer's upper arm and shoves him while rotating his hips 90 degrees and taking a quick shuffle step to orient himself to Baer's new location. Baer is moved off balance and falls into the ropes.

2:24-Max knows what is coming but before he can get his body reset or his right hand up high enough Louis uses the Trigger Step and lands a blazing straight right hurting Baer.

2:25-Louis leans into Baer while Baer tries to grab Louis and fails

2:26 Baer, squared up along the ropes, throws a desperate hook which misses and Louis pounces. As soon as Baer moves his left hand for the hook Joe throws a short fast right uppercut (look how much leverage he gets driving hard off his toes) and then rotates back the other way with his body and crashes home a near perfect left hook and shifting his weight onto the right side of his body. Max's head snaps back.

2:27-Louis now takes a short step with his right foot and his left and that changes the angle toward Baer by maybe two inches. It is enough.

2:28-Lous almost knocks Baer's head off with a straight right and then comes back with a thunderous left hook (think Max had a chin?) and finishes with a straight right which misses. Louis is on his toes and rotating like a turbine through this. Then another key moment. After he finishes the combination Louis takes a short left step with each foot and now instead of being heads up with Baer his head is oriented at Baer's right shoulder.

2:29-Keeping the pressure on Louis now lands a short right uppercut on Max's chin which straightens him up. Max tries to escape into the space Louis has vacated by stepping to his left and rotating his position. But it is a setup.

2:30-Louis lands a crashing hook to the right side of Baer's face stepping with his left foot and rotating his entire body as he does so.

2:32-Baer retreats along the ropes and Louis shuffles back into optimal position and comes right back with what is working. The short right uppercut and the left hook. But Baer parries the left hook with his right hand as he continues retreating.

2:33-2:34-Now comes one of the most astonishingly athletic and skillful displays in heavyweight history. After Baer parries the first left hook Louis goes for the home run. He LEAPS into a second left hook and pivots his entire body almost 180 degrees. But Max Baer sees it coming and takes two short steps out of range. Here is the amazing part. Louis lands in a perfectly balanced position after missing the hook. See if you can freeze at 2:33 and catch this moment where Louis lands. He is in a deep crouch, weight evenly distributed, hands in perfect punching position and opposite Max's left shoulder. Joe feints with his right shoulder and rotates his weight onto his left foot. Baer prepares to parry the coming right with his right hand which sits at his own left shoulder. But that is not what Louis throws. Louis violently rotates back to his right, drives off his left foot and lands a breathtaking hook to the head. Then using his hips as a spring a second and a third and Baer is down.

Think about that. Louis misses with a home run punch leaving his feet and yet lands so perfectly HE is the guy who seizes the initiative. Incredible.

What a fighter.

Last edited by marbleheadmaui; 06-24-2011 at 03:53 AM.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 15 Seconds with Joe Louis

A couple things I noticed in the video, Jack Dempsey was in Baer's corner before the fight. For years Dempsey had predicted that whoever Joe's opponent was, was going to knock him out or win. Finally one night when Louis was told that Dempsey was in his opponents corner, and backing him to win, Louis responded sarcastically: "I don't have to fight Dempsey do I?".

I didn't realize that Louis was only 21 when he fought Max Baer, fucking amazing. After the fight, Maxie, ever the comedian and good sport said something like: "I got hit so hard I thought I saw 20 Louis's, and I wasn't sure about which one to hit back, it looked like all of Harlem was there".

In re: Jack Blackburn, yup, he was a great trainer for Louis, without Blackburn, I doubt that Louis would have had near the success that he enjoyed. I'd also agree that Louis was a great student, neither Louis or Ali had much formal education, but they were both geniuses inside that ring.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 06-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

holy shit, what a fucking jab Louis had, check out 2:03-2:06 those jabs are fucking ripping.
    those are some jarring-ass hooks at the end, holy shit.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm sure Baer lost atleast one tooth with that last hook at 2:36. Jesus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    A couple things I noticed in the video, Jack Dempsey was in Baer's corner before the fight. For years Dempsey had predicted that whoever Joe's opponent was, was going to knock him out or win. Finally one night when Louis was told that Dempsey was in his opponents corner, and backing him to win, Louis responded sarcastically: "I don't have to fight Dempsey do I?".

I didn't realize that Louis was only 21 when he fought Max Baer, fucking amazing
    . After the fight, Maxie, ever the comedian and good sport said something like: "I got hit so hard I saw 20 Louis's, and I wasn't sure about which one to hit back, it looked like all of Harlem was there".

In re: Jack Blackburn, yup, he was a great trainer for Louis, without Blackburn, I doubt that Louis would have had near the success that he enjoyed. I'd also agree that Louis was a great student, neither Louis or Ali had much formal education, but they were both geniuses inside that ring.
    Unlike most heavies Joe got great really quickly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    holy shit, what a fucking jab Louis had, check out 2:03-2:06 those jabs are fucking ripping.
    those are some jarring-ass hooks at the end, holy shit.
    Joe was exceptionally sharp that night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    i'm sure Baer lost atleast one tooth with that last hook at 2:36. Jesus
    The footage is truncated. Max actually got up from that 2:36 hook and fought on and then a few seconds later in the fight Louis lands a short hook so fast and so hard one really has to search to find it in the complete fight. That's when Max decided, as he put it, "People are going to have to pay more than $25 to see me executed."

He also had another great quote after the fight.

"Fear is standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to point out the way that Joe is punching. He is driving the hand not like the modern boxers slingshoting them! His hands moves first and than his body. We can see this type of punching really clear when we watch Forman and Moore. I hate how some comentators are talking for Formans technik saying that he is punching only with the hand, but actuially it is the oder way around. Not only he is punching with his whole body, but his accurasity is extreamly high becaus it is much more easier to hit some one with only the hand and after that to drive trough with the body.
    Just watch the 1-2 combos. How unortodox they look in the modern days...
    The oder thing that i really like is how he is carrying all the time his elbows down. Everything is streight compact. It is almost impossible to beat him to the punch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nikola_ganchev View Post
    I want to point out the way that Joe is punching. He is driving the hand not like the modern boxers slingshoting them! His hands moves first and than his body. We can see this type of punching really clear when we watch Forman and Moore. I hate how some comentators are talking for Formans technik saying that he is punching only with the hand, but actuially it is the oder way around. Not only he is punching with his whole body, but his accurasity is extreamly high becaus it is much more easier to hit some one with only the hand and after that to drive trough with the body.
    Just watch the 1-2 combos. How unortodox they look in the modern days...
    The oder thing that i really like is how he is carrying all the time his elbows down. Everything is streight compact. It is almost impossible to beat him to the punch.
    Great post!

Thread Information