Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe says Jones his last fight

If Pavlik fights Mayorga instead of Winky or another legitimate challenge, then Pavlik fans need to shut up about Calzaghe taking on an over the hill and shot opponent. Mayorga is well best his best, he's done nothing to deserve a title shot, Pavlik's already had a gimme fight in his last bout, and Mayorga has fought as low as 140 in his career and he's already been stopped 3 times by fighters who don't hit anywhere near as hard as Pavlik.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    If Pavlik fights Mayorga instead of Winky or another legitimate challenge, then Pavlik fans need to shut up about Calzaghe taking on an over the hill and shot opponent. Mayorga is well best his best, he's done nothing to deserve a title shot, Pavlik's already had a gimme fight in his last bout, and Mayorga has fought as low as 140 in his career and he's already been stopped 3 times by fighters who don't hit anywhere near as hard as Pavlik.
    Well there is Winky, I forgot about him. He isn't the easiest guy to make a fight with and obviously I could see why Arum wouldn't want to make that (hard to look good against, old so people will discredit the win if he dominates) but that would be a good fight.

I'm willing to give Pavlik a pass cause he tried to make a big time fight. He needs to fight Abraham at some point though and Winky although I don't see that happening.

He should find a better stay busy fight than Mayorga but like I said I find it hard to get that upset about it since he tried to make a big fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    The "hard core" boxing fans in the U.S. will remember him.

I'm unsuited to talking about "casual fans", I don't really know any or the ones that I do are extremely "casual." Literally none of my friends or family watch boxing on any kind of regular basis. The last fight that any of my friends were really excited about was Tyson-Lewis. They have heard of Tyson, ODLH, Roy Jones, and were just beginning to know Floyd's name when he retired. Anyway they have no idea who Joe Calzaghe is and its not just cause he's European.

What is a "casual fan" by the way? Do they watch HBO fights fairly regularly but not know who Ivan Calderon is? I suspect Joe won't be remembered that much but who knows.
    A "casual" DEFINITELY doesn't have a clue who Calderon is

Calzaghe-Kessler got the lowest ever "free" HBO TV rating (it was over a million viewers).

The HBO PPVs seem to average around 250,000-350,000 barring Oscar-Hatton-Floyd fights.

I guess the majority of fans are "casual".. and these guys don't really care or understand if a fighter is COMPLETELY past his peak, has an over padded record, has no chance of winning a fight etc... that's why mismatches make sense to TV and promoters and fighters

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well there is Winky, I forgot about him. He isn't the easiest guy to make a fight with and obviously I could see why Arum wouldn't want to make that (hard to look good against, old so people will discredit the win if he dominates) but that would be a good fight.

I'm willing to give Pavlik a pass cause he tried to make a big time fight. He needs to fight Abraham at some point though and Winky although I don't see that happening.

He should find a better stay busy fight than Mayorga but like I said I find it hard to get that upset about it since he tried to make a big fight.
    He tried to make one fight with a guy 1 or 2 divisions above him. How about fighting a ranked middleweight then if that fight can't be made?

Hasn't Calzaghe been slated throughout his career for trying and not succeeding in making big fights? Mayorga or Rubio are gimme fights in the same vein of a Bika, and Roy Jones Jr. is a biggest test for Calzaghe than either of those fighters are for Pavlik.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik massacred of Lockett which Enzo Calzaghe saw first hand has without a doubt convinced him not to put his son nowhere near Pavlik. His son would get hurt. And Joe agrees.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He tried to make one fight with a guy 1 or 2 divisions above him. How about fighting a ranked middleweight then if that fight can't be made?

Hasn't Calzaghe been slated throughout his career for trying and not succeeding in making big fights? Mayorga or Rubio are gimme fights in the same vein of a Bika, and Roy Jones Jr. is a biggest test for Calzaghe than either of those fighters are for Pavlik.
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but who? The middleweight division outside of Pavlik, Abraham, Winky, and maybe Sturm (and I find it hard to believe Sturm would come to the U.S. to fight Pavlik) is a graveyard.

They should do a better stay busy fight (Geovanni Lorenzo? Amin Asikainen? there's not much there, I'm not even sure that these guys would put up much more than Mayorga even if they are middles) but I'm not as upset about it as you are. He fought Miranda, Taylor twice, took a totally acceptable gimme and then tried to make a fight with Calzaghe. Even if he takes another gimme as long as he fights somebody like Abraham after that I won't care.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This does nothing for Joe except line his pockets and add a faded name in Jones Jr,who is holding on by his fingertips to reclaim his stature...Why do some fans settle for going backwards so easily ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but who? The middleweight division outside of Pavlik, Abraham, Winky, and maybe Sturm (and I find it hard to believe Sturm would come to the U.S. to fight Pavlik) is a graveyard.

They should do a better stay busy fight (Geovanni Lorenzo? Amin Asikainen? there's not much there, I'm not even sure that these guys would put up much more than Mayorga even if they are middles) but I'm not as upset about it as you are. He fought Miranda, Taylor twice, took a totally acceptable gimme and then tried to make a fight with Calzaghe. Even if he takes another gimme as long as he fights somebody like Abraham after that I won't care.
    I don't think it would be that hard to make a fight with Winky, Winky himself has been saying he wants the fight in every interview I've read with him. I'm not necessarily opposed to Pavlik taking another gimme if he fights an Abraham afterwards, but I'm getting tired of seeing Calzaghe getting ripped into while Pavlik apparently can do no wrong. Lockett, an older Mayorga, and Rubio aren't exactly the highest level of competition, I'd prefer any of the ranked guys you mentioned to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last time I checked Joe and Roy were LightHeavyweights and Pavlik was a Middle.. Am I missing something here :shrug:

Joe Lineal LightHeavy Champ

Pavlik Lineal Middleweight Champ

Joe is defending one of his belts... I say Pavlik should unify against another Middleweight before fighting Joe... Joe is just grandstanding just like Mayweather is to Cotto... Within the year depending if Calzaghe gets by Jones.. You will have seen Mayweather/Cotto Pavlik/Calzaghe

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it would be that hard to make a fight with Winky, Winky himself has been saying he wants the fight in every interview I've read with him. I'm not necessarily opposed to Pavlik taking another gimme if he fights an Abraham afterwards, but I'm getting tired of seeing Calzaghe getting ripped into while Pavlik apparently can do no wrong. Lockett, an older Mayorga, and Rubio aren't exactly the highest level of competition, I'd prefer any of the ranked guys you mentioned to them.
    Fair enough, but most people are going to see Pavlik in a better light than Calzaghe on this considering Pavlik's the one who wanted to make the fight. Most people got over Calzaghe taking two gimmes after the Lacy fight (which came after a string of pretty anonymous guys) when he signed to fight Kessler. Pavlik has fought tough competition lately and he was interested in another big fight.

As far as the possibilities of making a Winky fight, I don't really know, that's always been the story about Winky, or at least lately, but I don't know. But Arum will do anything he can not to make it anyway.

And also Mayorga's a rumor, we'll see if it happens. It would be a bad choice no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayorga would be somewhat of a letdown; but it would actually be fun just to watch the build-up. I'd love to see if Mayorga could find that button to push and bring out the dragon in Pavlik. I can only imagine what would come out of Mayorga's mouth prior to a fight. Too bad he'd get ktfo for his trouble.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    Mayorga would be somewhat of a letdown; but it would actually be fun just to watch the build-up. I'd love to see if Mayorga could find that button to push and bring out the dragon in Pavlik. I can only imagine what would come out of Mayorga's mouth prior to a fight. Too bad he'd get ktfo for his trouble.
    Arum is trying to get Pavlik in a high profile fight. It does not have to be a tough fight for him, but just expose him to more fans. As good as Pavlik is, he is not really well known unless you are a boxing fan. Same as Winky. Winky is a respected fighter, but he is no ratings bonanza either. Pavlik vs. Winky = Big money lost by Arum, and Arum knows it.

This is where Mayorga comes in. Say what you want, but the guy is popular and will help show Pavlik to the masses. Arum said last year that he wanted Pavlik to have NON PPV fights to help increase his popularity, unless of course, there was an opponent who could carry the card financially.

This is why Arum tried to get the Calzaghe fight. It would have meant a lot of money coming from across the pond while exposing Pavlik to a huge boxing market across the Pond.

I think we will end up seeing Pavlik in a few more low key fights, where Arum will not lose his ass financially, until they can land a big popular fish for Kelly.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 06-15-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by the wiz View Post
    Jones Calzaghe's last fight

I hope this isn't the case. I don't mind him taking a payday then fighting Pavlik, but to just fight a washed up Jones then hang them up I have a problem with.
    Link is dead. So.........

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Is Lockett now wearing the same dress that Cintron wore, when he spoke of Margo smashing Cotto? you decide...

Boxing: Lockett backs Calzaghe to beat Pavlik - icWales
    Isn't that the opposite of what Cintron did with Margo? Cintron backed the guy who beat him, Lockett is doing otherwise.
    Yea, you are right. I just saw the thing and felt I needed to post it before I headed out the door. Did have it ass backwards. He is backing up his stable but am not so sure he believes it. I think Enzo is afraid as I stated from the start, after tossing the Lockett towel. They are all saying Joe would whoop Kelly, okay. Best way to support that thought... wouldn't it be to make the fight?

I won't keep going about why I dislike them trying to shoot down Pavlik so much, for I think for most it is obvious. But what is done is done.

Pump RJJ full of geritol and let the match begin!
    Last edited by Youngblood; 06-15-2008 at 10:33 PM.

ICB Guest

Disappointing but we have to look at a few things here, 1 Calzaghe has been tight at Super Middleweight for years he has to drain himself quite severely to make the weight which is a fact. I think he is very comfortable weight wise at Light Heavyweight and at his age now it would be a bad idea to drain yourself against such a dangerous young champion like Pavlik. But saying that i think they could easily do this fight at catch weight no problem.

Calzaghe is doing the smart option and going for the big pay day over a former legend to close out his career. But lets get one thing straight here people are making out like Jones vs Calzaghe is just a fore gone conclusion when it isn't. Jones may be old but he is still x2 faster than anyone Calzaghe has ever faced, and Calzaghe has never faced anyone remotely close to Jones. So don't underestimate Jones he could very easily pull of the upset, and people are forgetting Calzaghe is also past his peak he isn't no spring chicken either, in fact i noticed in Hopkins fight his jab and combo's wern't has fast or snappy, and he did look like a fighter on his way out to me IMO, so don't think Jones vs Calzaghe will be a fore gone conclusion folks.

Thread Information