Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The answer to "How many calories do I need to eat every day to lose weight?"

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The answer to "How many calories do I need to eat every day to lose weight?"

The fast answer:
    If you don't want to read the long version of the answer - go off to www.myfitnesspal.com and that site will work it out for you!

Note that MFP.com gives you NET calorie intake per day - you are encouraged to eat whatever calories you burn through exercise BACK if you use that number.

More-In-Depth Guide - the longer answer:

1.Work out your BMI here

2. Work out your BMR here

Your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) is basically how many calories your body burns by just existing - by doing basically, nothing. If you lay in bed all day and did not move, this is how many calories your body would burn. If you ate this many calories, and did not move all day, you would maintain your current weight.

3. Remember this figure and use it in the Harris-Benedict Equation. This equation works out how many calories you specifically, according to your activity level, burn every day. The more active you are, the more calories you burn (obviously), and therefore the equation is different for a guy who sits at a desk all day and does no exercise, than for the guy who runs a 5k 6 times a week. The number you get at the end of the Harris Benedict Equation is the number of calories you need to eat daily to maintain your weight, at this lifestyle.

4. To lose a pound, you need to shave off 3500 calories from somewhere, this equates to
    reducing by 500 calories a day, to lose 1lb in a week, reducing by 1000 cals per day to lose 2lbs etc etc.

Here are the recommended daily deficits, depending on BMI
    Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week).

So, if you had a BMI of 32, and the Harris Benedict Equation gives you 3000 calories a day to maintain, you'd make your deficit of 1000 calories a day, and consume 2000 calories daily / 14000 a week(and wouldn't consume your exercise calories on top of it - they're accounted for in the Equation!). You should, in theory then lose 2lbs per week

Simples

Could be bollox, but I am working on these principles
    Last edited by BIG H; 04-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The answer to "How many calories do I need to eat every day to lose weight?"

We've just taken on a new client, there is free pizza in the kitchen, I've had 4 slices and about to go back for more. How many cals have I consumed, how many did I burn off in the eating process, how many off the wrist will I need to have to burn off the rest?

Many thanks
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The answer to "How many calories do I need to eat every day to lose weight?"

How are you getting one with it mate?
    It seems perfectly logical.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    How are you getting one with it mate?
    It seems perfectly logical.
    Doing O.K thanks mate.

On day 2 of calorie counting/food diary and have stuck to it O.K - It's pretty flexible. And if you want to eat more cals on one day, you have to do more exercise to 'earn' the extra calories.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

El Kabong Guest

I suggest that you don't think in terms of calories but in terms of "nutrient density". For example a salad may give you some calories but the nutrient density will outweigh any caloric intake.

That has helped me lose weight, now when I snack I eat almonds, when I eat lunch or dinner I avoid fatty fried foods and as a southerner that is extremely difficult, but I don't even crave fried foods anymore, I'd rather have a grilled steak, but even then I don't even crave red meat all the time or even meat in general.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im hopeless. Winter is coming here, I put on a wod over Christmas in full preparation for it.

Fat floats so I may do some more hard yards in front of the telly to make swimming easier for the summer too.

my tongue will be well fit, I can use it to propel myself along the surface.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ive been packed in smoking for 6 weeks now and have been taking acai berry to keep the weight off.

seems to do the trick as i normally put on a shitload of stupid weight when i pack in but with these i can eat like a pig and stay normal.... simples

i can highly recomend them.

Thread Information