Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of sport hunting?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What do you think of sport hunting?

I'm not asking whether it's okay for a poor man to hunt a deer to feed his family. Obviously hunting for food is okay.

But what about killing for SPORT? Killing for trophies? Killing for the "fun" of it? I think it's psychopathic.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do you think of sport hunting?

Fox hunting is vile and dispicable act just as Bull fighting is all defended by tradition and way of life.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

I'm probably one of the very few hunters on here. My take on hunting (in general) is as follows if the animal harvested isn't going to be eaten, if the animal harvested isn't eating/endangering your your food supply (be it crops, farm animals, the animals you hunt of which you must allow for at least a few as predators DO serve a purpose)....then I don't much get the why of killing something.

I know if there are problem lions (you've used the picture of a lion for a meme), and "problem lions" meaning lions hunting people or too much livestock then yeah if you have family that has been attacked/killed by those lions or have to feed yourself/your community with that livestock then yeah you've got to choose between the lion's life or yours and who will be more comfortable. Not many people will allow for a comfortable lion when it's a choice between the lion or themselves/their access to food so that lion gets it and that is understandable in my eyes.

People going on safari to take prizes I'm not a huge fan of. I understand that it can bring money to very needy areas of the world, but at the same time I wouldn't want a glut of folks coming into my backyard and hunting the shit out of everything regardless of what they are hunting.

Poaching should be punishable by death. I hate those fuckers.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not aware of any place in the US where it is not illegal to waste a carcass.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Fox hunting is vile and dispicable act just as Bull fighting is all defended by tradition and way of life.
    Fox hunting is understandable if you've got chickens and the foxes are killing your food (which they often do, can't really blame them) but if it's your family eating or the fox eating, then I'm sorry the fox is going.

Bullfighting is atrocious, anytime an animal is tortured to death it's horrible. I've got a single shot rifle which I hunt with, I'm only shooting 1 time right through the vital organs and that is it. 1 shot, 1 kill no needless suffering...it's an emotionally difficult thing to do, but it's better than being so disconnected from your food supply that you know absolutely nothing of how the animal lived at all.

If I had the opportunity I'd raise cattle and pigs, but I've not got the time, space, or resources to make that happen so trying to ween off of factory farm animals and get more game meat is the best I can do at the moment.

@Freedom are you vegetarian or vegan? Just wondering.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Fox hunting is understandable if you've got chickens and the foxes are killing your food (which they often do, can't really blame them) but if it's your family eating or the fox eating, then I'm sorry the fox is going.

Bullfighting is atrocious, anytime an animal is tortured to death it's horrible. I've got a single shot rifle which I hunt with, I'm only shooting 1 time right through the vital organs and that is it. 1 shot, 1 kill no needless suffering...it's an emotionally difficult thing to do, but it's better than being so disconnected from your food supply that you know absolutely nothing of how the animal lived at all.

If I had the opportunity I'd raise cattle and pigs, but I've not got the time, space, or resources to make that happen so trying to ween off of factory farm animals and get more game meat is the best I can do at the moment.

There are better ways to kill foxes than riding horses and being chased by dogs across fields in the name of tradition.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that's exactly what Lyle was saying mate

I'm sure I've told you this already but we had 6 chickens in the back garden. They were good layers but more pets really, just an added bonus that the eggs they produced were fucking amazing.

Going back a few months 4 of them got killed by a fox. One of them taken, 3 of them just ripped to bits. I think if I'd have caught it in the act I would have kicked it to pieces or bludgeoned it to death with a shovel.

I decide I'm going to get a gun, I'm killing the fucker. Then time passes, I heal a little bit, but the fox is still a prick, so I downgrade to my sons airsoft (BB) riffle. Wont kill it, but a head shot will liven the fucker up.

Anyway. I'm patient. I wait night after night for some noise in the garden. Sure enough there the fucker is, just coming over the fence. I quickly grab the gun, the battery falls out but I maintain composure. I have one shot, right in the noggin, it yelps and fucks off back to where it came from double quick.

I go to bed like I'm Andy McNabb or summat.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

There are better ways to kill foxes than riding horses and being chased by dogs across fields in the name of tradition.
    Yeah that type of "hunting" is gay, plus it's not a thing that occurs where I live because you wouldn't want your dogs hunting or otherwise needlessly exposed to rabies.

I've got a pit bull now and I wouldn't sick him on anything other than a burglar

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    No, I can't maintain my physical strength without meat.

However, I only eat meat from organically-raised, cruelty free animals (even thought it's more expensive) and free-range eggs.

But this thread isn't about eating meat or not. It's about killing for sport, for trophies, for sadistic pleasure.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sport hunters have no respect for life.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    No, I can't maintain my physical strength without meat.

However, I only eat meat from organically-raised, cruelty free animals (even thought it's more expensive) and free-range eggs.

But this thread isn't about eating meat or not. It's about killing for sport, for trophies, for sadistic pleasure.
    OK, I was just curious is all. I certainly congratulate you on being so dedicated to what you believe in, it takes a stern morality to not bend to cheaper alternatives.

I understand what the thread is about, just was curious about you is all, no harm intended

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am against it. I think unless you require the animal for consumption, then you have no business taking its life unless you are in immediate physical danger. If anything I would like people who indulge in sport hunting to be shot as they are lowly and cowardly. Hemmingway was a twat and it was a shame he took so long to find the right answer.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At last......................... we found a subject we can all agree on.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okay, that was a bit mean considering Hemingway had mental issues and had experienced the wonderful help of doctors by frying his brain. Maybe I mean it would have been better were he to think about the evil pantomime that is Bull Fighting or putting a bullet into the heart of an animal that really is not a bother to you. As I say, the only way I can justify it is to consume the meat and you see some of these rotund men with rotund ego's spending thousands to go to Africa and shoot dead proud animals that are basically penned in fields. I find that very cowardly. I couldn't go home and think 'Man, ave been on a great adventure and gone toe to toe with that beast'. It's just not good. Don't get me wrong. I could kill an animal, much easier kill a person, but there has to be good reason and you better damn eat them too.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I think that's exactly what Lyle was saying mate

I'm sure I've told you this already but we had 6 chickens in the back garden. They were good layers but more pets really, just an added bonus that the eggs they produced were fucking amazing.

Going back a few months 4 of them got killed by a fox. One of them taken, 3 of them just ripped to bits. I think if I'd have caught it in the act I would have kicked it to pieces or bludgeoned it to death with a shovel.

I decide I'm going to get a gun, I'm killing the fucker. Then time passes, I heal a little bit, but the fox is still a prick, so I downgrade to my sons airsoft (BB) riffle. Wont kill it, but a head shot will liven the fucker up.

Anyway. I'm patient. I wait night after night for some noise in the garden. Sure enough there the fucker is, just coming over the fence. I quickly grab the gun, the battery falls out but I maintain composure. I have one shot, right in the noggin, it yelps and fucks off back to where it came from double quick.

I go to bed like I'm Andy McNabb or summat.
    I felt like getting a gun to shoot my neighbor's big tomcat, because it killed my friendliest Dark-eyed Junco back in March.

The bird knew me, when I went out to put seed down on my feeder it would watch me expectedly, and seconds later it would come to the feeder. The other birds like the Varied Thrushes and Starlings would nervously leave when I was nearby, but after awhile this Junco became used to me and understood I wasn't out to harm him so he would continue feeding when I was sitting on my patio.

I was very very angry when I saw the well-fed cat carrying the poor little bird. The only other creatures besides humans that kill for the love of killing are house cats.

RIP my little friend.

Thread Information