Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do people on here still see what HBO tells them to

Wow so many times I see people come in here after a fight with the exact same retarded arguments made by the commentators on HBO. I am sick of people being so naive as to believe word for word everything that the commentators are saying. There are obviously guys HBO doesn't seem to like as much like Mayweather who can win most of the rounds and still have the HBO guys saying its a close fight (like against De La Hoya and Hatton), or they can hump the shit out of Wladimir and Oscar until their dicks are raw. Now both Oscar and Wlad are great fighters, but people have to stop listening to what these guys are saying like its the holy bible. Ledderman hasn't been a good judge in a few years, and Emmanual Steward may be a good trainer, but he is the most biased SOB I've ever seen.

Common people make decisions for yourselves.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do people on here still see what HBO tells them to

Good thread. People hear very knowledgable guys like manny steward say something and take it as written in stone, but they forget that it doesnt matter how much knowledge you have, bias will always distort the truth.

I thought they were fair with their commentary of Mayweather vs Hatton and DLH though, they acknowledged that PBF was ahead in those fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree. I think HBO's crew have a lot of integrity, and call it like it is. If you want to see biased announcing watch one of Don King's cards that he produced himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes HBO is right and sometimes the announcing is good. Lately, I haven't been too happy with it. To be specific, I thought Lederman's Calzaghe/Hopkins card was crap. I had it for Joe by a round, but clearly Howard is losing his vision. When in doubt, he always gives a close round to the busier fighter, even if they guy isn't landing (see ODLH/Mayweather and Taylor/Hopkins). He does it constantly. He's lost his ability to tell the difference between aggression and effective aggression.

I'm not sure if they are biased, but they are hype builders who jump on and off bandwagons as quickly as you can say "Juan Diaz." And yeah, the get parroted alot around this forum. I've probably done it a few timesa accidently. Sometimes they are right, and sometimes they will make a comment that is very accurate and it will stick in your mind. If I'm drinking during the fight, when I post the next day, I've probably repeated something from Kellerman or Merchant without realizing it. It's bound to happen from time to time, but that's why I watch fights more than once and I'm not afraid to admit when I saw it wrong the first time and/or let the announcers or the crowd of people and/or atmosphere of the moment influence my judgement.

If I have a strong rooting interest in the fight and the HBO announcers are calling it the way I want it go, I'm more inclined to be influenced by the hype. When I first saw Cal/Hop, I saw it as close but clearly for Joe, but upon further review, I understood why some people had it for Hopkins. Again, that's why I watch a second or third time. Like I posted last week, I saw Hopkins/Calzaghe much differently sober and with the volume off, but I didn't post until after I has watched a second time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK, case and point... The most recent fight ODLH Forbes...

The commentators kept saying that it's a Floyd Sr. Signature to have guys blocking shots with their gloves and parrying... And how well Oscar was doing this.

Oscar for most of the fight had his hands low and was taking needless pecking jabs from Forbes.

He was not blocking them THAT well... He looked ok and all but fukin aye... They made it sound like he was unhittable as Forbes although being whitwashed was landing punches...

Not to mention a Lamley's phantom punshes "Huge right hook"

**repay: The punch wizzes by the other guys head like 3 inches away**
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HBO commentaters are the best at what they do,but sometime I feel Jim Lampley is just so damn biased.When I rewatch the fight the next day I actually turn off the sound the next day and not buy into who is sucking who off. I really don't like him,to me Lampley is a fraud and an asshole.The guy I agree with the most is probably the guy I dislike the most in Max Kellerman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    HBO commentaters are the best at what they do,but sometime I feel Jim Lampley is just so damn biased.When I rewatch the fight the next day I actually turn off the sound the next day and not buy into who is sucking who off. I really don't like him,to me Lampley is a fraud and an asshole.The guy I agree with the most is probably the guy I dislike the most in Max Kellerman.
    Yeah, just don't let Max do any scoring... He'll have 10-7 rounds without Knockdowns and 4 rounds in a fight even
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to bare with me guys, im a brit who apart from the odd online stream has never actually seen a fight via HBO.

We do however get endless updates via skysports, setanta, bbc etc on how HBO are scoring the contests: seems to be a growing trend of them opting to award rounds to those that throw the most punches rather than the more effective ones.

I for one enjoy listening to what lederman has to say. The guy was scoring contests while most of us were still in nappies(diapers for you americans).
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best HBO nut job i ever heard was Chavez/Taylor 1. Lampley, Merchant & Leonard would have blown Taylor under the ring if he had won!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    You have to bare with me guys, im a brit who apart from the odd online stream has never actually seen a fight via HBO.

We do however get endless updates via skysports, setanta, bbc etc on how HBO are scoring the contests: seems to be a growing trend of them opting to award rounds to those that throw the most punches rather than the more effective ones.

I for one enjoy listening to what lederman has to say. The guy was scoring contests while most of us were still in nappies(diapers for you americans).
    Lederman no doubt has a vast knowledge of the sport, but I think recently he is scoring fights based on what HE is told to look for. Seems to me at least he's been giving rounds to the agressor ruthlessly in almost any big fights I can remember watching recently. I'm sure it's a lot of politics and he doesn't have much choice. But it is a bit fishy when he'll score some rounds that seem clearly inane just when it happens to even up the fight a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only guy on HBO whos job is secure is Jim Lampley because he is the ultimate at praising the house fighter. He consistently calls phantom punches great shots and HBO fighters could do no wrong in his eyes.

Larry Merchant is being pushed out the door for speaking his mind and telling it like it is. This guy has been doing it for years and should be commended for it, not fired.

Manny Steward is not as good a trainer as he is a commentator. His fighters have many more flaws than his comments. I would imagine Taeth not liking him because he exposes floyd for the fraud that he is. All in all, he's a smart man.

Max is pretty good but he tries to score too many points acting like he knows all there is to know about fighters from years past. I like him but he's still in the process of becoming the guy he's gonna be so we'll see down the line.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lederman is the one who's a complete idiot. His scorecards are garbage. The way he was sucking Hatton's dick and giving him bullshitt rounds against Mayweather was a disgrace. His Hopkins-Calzaghe card was also a joke. And if I remember correctly his dumbass had Paul Williams beating Quintana. The fool needs to be fired immediately. His daughter scores a better fight

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well first off, no need to be so confrontational. I don't think anybody is so swayed by HBO's commentary and usually the arguments on here don't see it the same as HBO. Let me say that about the forum, also half the people here don't even watch the fight on HBO they watch it on Sky or Setanta.

I thought their assessment of DLH was garbage, I thought that he looked like an aging man in the ring and was not nearly as impressed as HBO. I think Kellerman and Lennox are a great team no matter who else they have with them. I think they are typically the most spot on people on TV along with the Showtime crew.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON View Post

Not to mention a Lamley's phantom punshes "Huge right hook"

**repay: The punch wizzes by the other guys head like 3 inches away**

Oh shit, can you remember DLH/Whitaker?

(DLH throws one of his flashy combos in which every punch misses)

LAMPLEY:: AND A HUGE COMBINATION BY DLH TO CLOSE OUT THE ROUND!!!

Lampley has always had a hard on for DLH, I remember when he cried tears of joy when he beat Vargas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sky Sports commentators in the UK are just as bad. When Mayweather lost his balance for a split second in the 2nd ?? round against hatton the commentators were screaming " HATTON HAS HIM! FLOYD IS ALL OVER THE PLACE ".

Thread Information