Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin - St. Pat's day fight thread

This could be an entertaining fight Saturday from MSG, New York, but I don't see "Mack the Knife" who's of Irish extraction, causing Sergio much grief, but we shall see.

March 17
    At New York (HBO): Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin, 12 rounds, for Martinez's Ring magazine middleweight title
    ; Edwin Rodriguez vs. Donovan George, 10 rounds, super middleweights; Magomed Abdusalamov vs. Jason Pettway, 10 or 12 rounds, heavyweights.

Anyone giving Macklin a shot at an upset?
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 03-16-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin on St. Pat's day in New York

Fight Promo:

Last edited by Mars_ax; 03-12-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Macklin edged Felix Sturm in a good fight last year. Thus, there is a decent argument that he is the number two middleweight in the world and Saturday's fight is between the two top ranked middleweights on the planet. I favor Sergio Martinez here, maybe in a big-time, highlight-reel stoppage. I wouldn't be surprised, however, with another Darren Barker-esque performance, where Sergio Martinez coasts to a comfortable win or a late stoppage. Having said that, as Michael Marley said on Steve Bunce's program last week in describing Mike McTigue's win over Battling Siki on March 19, 1923: "strange things can happen to an Irish fighter on St. Paddy's day."

McTigue a part of St. Patrick's Day folklore - boxing - ESPN

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting fight I reckon. More head movement from Macklin than what we are used to and more movement I can see him having some success.

If Macklin wins, it wouldn't be the biggest upset and I believe he has a chance. I don't see Martinez steam rolling him that's for sure.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I quite likc Macklin but Sergio is always fighting like if it was about to be his only weekly meal. I give MAravilla all the chance in that one.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta go with Martinez.

I give Macklin a decent chance though. Barker isn't a pressure fighter and he had success pressuring Sergio...coming forward with a tight guard..not throwing from too far out like Wililams did/does. If he can avoid getting ktfo early he has a chance to wear down a 37 yr old Martinez.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ill be shouting for macklin, just dont think he is quite tough enough for martinez

id say a KO
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I thought Macklin edged Felix Sturm in a good fight last year. Thus, there is a decent argument that he is the number two middleweight in the world and Saturday's fight is between the two top ranked middleweights on the planet. I favor Sergio Martinez here, maybe in a big-time, highlight-reel stoppage. I wouldn't be surprised, however, with another Darren Barker-esque performance, where Sergio Martinez coasts to a comfortable win or a late stoppage. Having said that, as Michael Marley said on Steve Bunce's program last week in describing Mike McTigue's win over Battling Siki on March 19, 1923: "strange things can happen to an Irish fighter on St. Paddy's day."

McTigue a part of St. Patrick's Day folklore - boxing - ESPN

If you're Irish like Macklin, and you want to win a scrap on St. Patrick's Day, the trick is having a "good" leprechaun training you. You must of course promise not to steal the leprechaun's gold. fact!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I quite likc Macklin but Sergio is always fighting like if it was about to be his only weekly meal. I give MAravilla all the chance in that one.
    Yup, Sergio fights hungry doesn't he, the dude also continues to improve and keeps himself in great shape.
    I like Matt's attitude, and I believe he'll give it his best effort, he's just in over his head in this one. Macklin will keep coming forward, but that will be his downfall, Sergio is a great counter puncher. The fight could end early, but my guess is Macklin gets busted up and then stopped sometime after the 7th round.

If Martinez does win, I hope he calls out that mexican pussy, JCC Jr.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope sergio can get a big fight soon cause hell he's 37 and relies on his athleticism and that can go any minute...as for this fight, sergio stops him around the 8th or 9th

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    I hope sergio can get a big fight soon cause hell he's 37 and relies on his athleticism and that can go any minute...as for this fight, sergio stops him around the 8th or 9th
    The most logical fight for Martinez is with Julio Jr., but we all know that ain't gonna happen until Sergio is at least 40.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    The most logical fight for Martinez is with Julio Jr., but we all know that ain't gonna happen until Sergio is at least 40.
    Yeah that isn't happening anytime soon, and I liked felix but have lost faith in him ever fighting a big name again, pirog could have made a name for himself but instead chose obscurity, sergio is most likely gona have to move up or get someone to move up for a big fight

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read an interesting point recently and thought I would run it by you guys. Sergio has struggled with two boxers in his career: Paul Williams in the first fight and Antonio Margarito in 2000. Both are brawling volume punchers. Macklin is also a brawling volume puncher. Styles make fights, right? What say you to that point?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd rather see Sergio win this fight first than speculate on his next choice of opponent, but Daniel Geale has stated he wants to come to the US for his next fight. If HBO would pay for Geale at 160 that may be the best available option out there. Chavez Jr. won't be fighting Martinez next, let's all be honest with ourselves.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I'd rather see Sergio win this fight first than speculate on his next choice of opponent, but Daniel Geale has stated he wants to come to the US for his next fight. If HBO would pay for Geale at 160 that may be the best available option out there. Chavez Jr. won't be fighting Martinez next, let's all be honest with ourselves.
    Right, Sergio needs to focus on Macklin, which I'm sure he is, just saying, if Martinez gets by Macklin, why not call Chavez Jr. out on the big stage after the fight? It might put enough pressure on "Team Chavez", to get the fight in motion. Freddy Roach has already said Jr. is ready to fight Martinez, so let's get it on, a "Champion" is suppose to fight the best no?
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 03-13-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Thread Information