Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default fear of throwing punches

i have boxed for around five years now and have only had two fights losing them both. I know this sounds shit but i never really got into training untill i was about 16 17. My first fight i shouldnt have lost but i felt drained. I got stopped the second fight by a body shot.
    this has not dissheartend me because i do very well at sparring and have all the things needed to be good. But my last fight i was sort of scared to throw punches i put it down to lack of experience, just like when you first spar your scared and sort of dont know what to do. What im trying to ask is when do you sort of get used to fighting how much fights does it take. cheers.
    A right hand can take you round the block, A jab round the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: fear of throwing punches

i dont think you get used to it rather than you feel something inside that pushes you, your motivation and dreams and what not, no one really likes to be hit. If you have nothing to aim at what are you going to achieve

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benny Leonard and Henry Armstrong were both KO'd in their first fights; Billy Conn was 13-6-1 after 20. They all ended up doing pretty well, as did Monzon, and Arguello (2-2, KO'd in debut), because they were learning how to fight. Boxing is a whole bunch more than wading in throwing haymakers and splattering opponents; now and again they'd rather not get splattered and have some ideas about you. Get yourself into the best condition you can be in (i don't mean Mr Universe condition but go ten hard fast rounds and want more condition.) because this you can control; make sure your mind knows that you will not get tired. Since you are staying out of the weight room and in the gym, you'll have lots of tim to work over and over again on your defensive moves and your punches; you are developing 'large muscle memory' so that your body reacts seemingly on its own. When you spar take a moment to analyze what is going on in the ring; what is he trying to do to you and what will you do about it? Suppose that as you move about jabbing a bit, feinting more, that it becomes clear that he wants to land the left hook; well that gives you two (at least) choices, to beat the hook with a short right hand or to get under the hook and hook him to the body.... Do you see my point? Don't be in a hurry to punch for its own sake; drive that fear of getting tired out with the knowledge of your condition, and minimize the times you get hit. Condition your body to fight, then keep your brain busy plotting strategy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try not to think about it. Just get out there and do your stuff. (I know this is easier said than done but you'll get used to it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What i used to do when i first started boxing was imagine that the person in front of me did something really bad to me like kill a family member or try to take my girl i know it sounds barbaric but you have to do what you have to do to over come thaT fear...
    Next time before a fight meditate for at least 30 minutes envision yourself winning the fight, play the the fight in your mind and build an extreme (but controlled) hate for your opponent until the fight is over.. then hug him be humble and keep it movin.
    You have to go in that ring and even if the odds are against you, feel like theres no way you could possibly lose to this man because your a warrior....

or you could just watch braveheart before your fight : )
    HOPE THAT HELPS...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The truth your opponents trying to knock you out, dont hold back or suffer the consequences of loss, you may learn alot from losing, but after too many losses, what will you remember.

Your opponents intentions are obvious, He's there to hurt you, just remember that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why are you boxing, if you have a fear of throwing punches. the only reason i think you would possibly fear is really hurting the person. have you had alot of street fights growing up? do you think that if you let loose, your anger will come out as well. i myself sometimes hold back from punching bcs i actually dont want the guys i spar with see that i am actually trying to knock their heads off. its not personal, but thats how i feel. its a control "flaw" i have. i am in control, persay, but i still have to win. nomatter whether its a sparring session, or a match. i have to do the best i can for me. i have had alot od street fights growing up and i have hurt alot of people by my jab. i am older and wiser now and a little more understanding of the psychology of fighting. it brings out the animal in most of us. plus i have 2 children now as well. i understand violence and fighting a whole lot better now bcs i would fight, and or kill, with my own hands, anyone who would try and hurt my family and most of all my children. so, needless to say, i hold back sometimes from clocking my sparring partners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe the fear comes from fighting against someone who is good at countering. If EVERY punch you threw had your opponent moving & sticking a hard jab into your chin before yours has even landed, sooner or later your going to start thinking it's not a good idea to be punching this guy. even 'afraid'..... If this is the case, you could try to become an expert counterer yourself. Just hold back and let him make the moves & whop him as soon as he overcommits to any punches.. Your fear of throwing the punches will turn into an itching to throw them... And itching for your opponent to show you that smallest gap that you can unload on...

All fears spring from something or somewhere. Analize where yours is coming from, and turn it around into one of your strengths... Nothing helps your motivation & confidence when something you were once your weakest at, is now one of your biggest strengths... It makes you feel unstoppable..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had this too but I just think it's him or me(what feels the best hitting him in the nose or him hitting you in the nose?)He has chosen to do boxing so he knows that he is going to get hit.Just let your hands go.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

feeney, grey did a good post. Don't be so hard on yourself, you've only had two fights.

Thread Information