Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Wilder have more Charisma than AJ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does Wilder have more Charisma than AJ?

I see Wilder's charisma as being derived from his brashness and unpredictability in the ring. IN short, I see him as being more exciting than the more predictable, but equally deadly, Joshua.

What say you?

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Wilder have more Charisma than AJ?

He yells a lot.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    He yells a lot.
    Excellent observation.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not define charisma as shouting and screaming. AJ is someone who you can listen to, is interesting and funny. He is not loud and brash but very exciting in the ring.

Anyway charisma will not win the fight when they meet. Composure will.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just two different people both with charisma - they’re not in Andy Murray’s league of course but still ok.

I like them both.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't find AJ charismatic at all, everything he says and does outside the ring is far too measured, the extensive media training has removed every shred of personality he has.

I like Wilder but I still want to see AJ win if they do fight.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    I see Wilder's charisma as being derived from his brashness and unpredictability in the ring. IN short, I see him as being more exciting than the more predictable, but equally deadly, Joshua.

What say you?
    Of course he has more charisma. He always did. Joshua looks too proper at times. Wilder is milking the media. He knows he has power. He knows he can take a decent punch now. He also knows he has endurance, better than many give him credit for. So he has the reason to be brash and in your face.

Everyone was expecting him to at LEAST be floored by now. He has not. He has a better chin than we gave him credit for. We mistook him for a Hearns/Breland type- lanky, long, with only a punch and tires coming towards the end or when he gets hurt.

Wilder is the real deal.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I do not define charisma as shouting and screaming. AJ is someone who you can listen to, is interesting and funny. He is not loud and brash but very exciting in the ring.

You missed the point.

Let ne say it differently. Wilder is more fun watch vainly because of his flaws.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

You missed the point.

Let ne say it differently. Wilder is more fun watch vainly because of his flaws.
    So Charisma is having a vulnerable chin with a big punch? AJ fits that criteria.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like the fact that neither of them looks like they have their own express lane at McDonald's, and that when they talk you don't need captions underneath.
    Personality-wise I like them both.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been a fan of Joshua since well before he won his Olympic gold. I watched him in the amateurs when he was coming through those ranks. He was a big, strong, hard punching guy who could (easily) have become a bad 'un. Tough guy, who liked fighting, and liked hurting people. Chinny and a bit robotic, though you could never question his heart and commitment.

I object to the fact that he is now a 'brand', and he is 'AJ' the smiling, inoffensive poster boy for UK boxing. The nice boy who never does anything wrong, lives with his mum, generates huge purses for other people, darling of the crossover fan ....... I don't like that at all. He is now the unbeatable man-child.

shades of what they said Iron Mike was on the way up. Equally as much of a lie ..... although if Joshua ends up being half the fighter Tyson was (for a short time, admittedly), he will do well.

So .... the way their 'media personalities' are - yes, Wilder is more charismatic than Joshua.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I've been a fan of Joshua since well before he won his Olympic gold. I watched him in the amateurs when he was coming through those ranks. He was a big, strong, hard punching guy who could (easily) have become a bad 'un. Tough guy, who liked fighting, and liked hurting people. Chinny and a bit robotic, though you could never question his heart and commitment.

I object to the fact that he is now a 'brand', and he is 'AJ' the smiling, inoffensive poster boy for UK boxing. The nice boy who never does anything wrong, lives with his mum, generates huge purses for other people, darling of the crossover fan ....... I don't like that at all. He is now the unbeatable man-child.

shades of what they said Iron Mike was on the way up. Equally as much of a lie ..... although if Joshua ends up being half the fighter Tyson was (for a short time, admittedly), he will do well.

So .... the way their 'media personalities' are - yes, Wilder is more charismatic than Joshua.
    Hmm good one X

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depends. Wilder on one hand is rowdy and center of attention when he enters a room. The man has a serious look at me hang up and compensates for lack of substance by yelling loudest and living in the literal ring moment. He's all about the instant and saying exactly what enters his head. Fans like a guy who swings for the fences, appears very vulnerable while doing so, and has a 'fire' burning 24-7 and doesn't care what people think. Of course lots of guys do that..the cocky brash A holes. That can make Wilder one you just want to see get his comeuppance and pay a price for careless style. But I think there is a simplicity about Wilder and not the over the top 'let me light my cigar with a $100 bill' and claim I'm the best ever. AJ seems pretty rehearsed and looks to please everyone. He has the polish and professionalism. He's the one you invite over for Holiday dinner with the extended family, Wilders the guy who pulls into the driveway hanging out the window shouting 'what up Moms and Pops lemme get a plate'.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Depends. Wilder on one hand is rowdy and center of attention when he enters a room. The man has a serious look at me hang up and compensates for lack of substance by yelling loudest and living in the literal ring moment. He's all about the instant and saying exactly what enters his head. Fans like a guy who swings for the fences, appears very vulnerable while doing so, and has a 'fire' burning 24-7 and doesn't care what people think. Of course lots of guys do that..the cocky brash A holes. That can make Wilder one you just want to see get his comeuppance and pay a price for careless style. But I think there is a simplicity about Wilder and not the over the top 'let me light my cigar with a $100 bill' and claim I'm the best ever. AJ seems pretty rehearsed and looks to please everyone. He has the polish and professionalism. He's the one you invite over for Holiday dinner with the extended family, Wilders the guy who pulls into the driveway hanging out the window shouting 'what up Moms and Pops lemme get a plate'.

Wilde's imperfections are what give him his charisma

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Wilde's imperfections are what give him his charisma
    Yes. Much shorter version.

Thread Information