Thread: Gervonta davis to return against jesus cuellar on april 21 on showtime

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gervonta davis to return against jesus cuellar on april 21 on showtime

Gervonta Davis is remaining at 130 pounds, and now, he has an opponent.
    “Tank” will face former featherweight titleholder Jesus Cuellar on April 21 in Brooklyn, New York, in the Showtime co-feature to Adrien Broner-Jessie Vargas, it was announced.
    The 23-year-old held a junior lightweight title last year, but he failed to make weight for his scheduled defense against Francisco Fonseca on the Mayweather-McGregor undercard, and Davis was stripped. Now, he has a chance to put a title back around his waist: his fight vs. Cuellar is for the WBA’s vacant secondary title (Albert Machado is the recognized titleholder).
    “I’m the most exciting and skilled fighter on television and in 2018 I plan to show it,” said Davis (19-0, 18 KOs). “On April 21, I’ll be back in the ring, live on Showtime. Jesus Cuellar is arguably my toughest opponent to date. He is rough and tough, but I’m looking forward to the challenge.
    “I’m more than happy to be fighting at Barclays Center where I won my first world title. Brooklyn is very close to Baltimore, so all of my people will be there to witness me become a world champion again.”
    Davis possesses strong power and an exciting style, but the southpaw has yet to face a top opponent since winning the title from Jose Pedraza in January. He defended his belt with a third-round stoppage of Liam Walsh over the summer, and only of his opponents have lasted the distance.
    Cuellar figures to present Davis’ toughest test, but he’s coming off a massive layoff. The Argentine hasn’t competed since December 2016, when he was outpointed by Abner Mares. And now, at 31, he’ll be moving up in weight.
    “The time I’ve had off since the Mares fight has refreshed me for this new opportunity,” said Cuellar (28-2, 21 KOs). “It took a lot out of my body to make 126 pounds for all of those years. Now I feel fresher and hungrier than ever before.
    “I’ve been offered fights against lesser opponents in the last year but I’ve preferred to wait a little longer so that I can get a chance to fight the best. Gervonta Davis is one of the best in the world, so he’s the one I want to face and beat. Davis has never faced a fighter like me and he will see me at my very best on April 21.”

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta davis to return against jesus cuellar on april 21 on showtime

Glad to see Davis back in the ring and in my personal opinion he's one of the top and most entertaining fighters in Boxing, that left hand is like a fucking sledgehammer

Cuellar has been inactive since Dec 2016 so lets hope he's in decent shape as i wanna see Davis really tested and roughed up a bit and put in a long hard fight.

Cuellar has only been stopped once in 30 fights and can bang a bit with a 70% KO ratio so if he's in good shape, then on paper it's a decent test for Davis

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta davis to return against jesus cuellar on april 21 on showtime

Would love a Cuellar win.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cuellar claims he's refreshed after his lay off and sounds right up for this, Tank is one tough little fucker who's come through some real bad shit in his life going back to when he was a child, left in a room starving hungry for days on end etc and i think that fuels his vicious streak.

Tank by brutal KO courtesy of his boombastic left hand i reckon

What is it that makes you want Davis to lose?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Cuellar claims he's refreshed after his lay off and sounds right up for this, Tank is one tough little fucker who's come through some real bad shit in his life going back to when he was a child, left in a room starving hungry for days on end etc and i think that fuels his vicious streak.

His association with Floyd Mayweather.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

What of it?

I don't know many fighters who'd turn down a $$$$ offer from Floyd to take them under his wing and help train them as well, i mean Floyd was a bit good as a boxer wasn't he?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Very predictable. But again, congrats on your daily Floyd post. Keep keeping him relevant.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bullsh-t fight. Cuellar has been inactive and moving up in weight. There is also a paper title on the line for this, how Cuellar gets a title shot of a loss and inactive is anyone's guess. This is a showcase for Davis. Easy KO.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definitely a hand held showcase for a guy who cannot be bothered to make weight. Fun fighter style wise and he and Cuellar make a guarantee up close brutal fun fight. Unfortunately Cuellar will emerge looking like a crash test dummy. Davis seems like he needs to get his head straight and not sure handing him another title with a guy not even in his weight class does him any favors. What are the odds he blows weight again to look even more spectacular because he already knows he has no intention of remaining 130 .

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Definitely a hand held showcase for a guy who cannot be bothered to make weight. Fun fighter style wise and he and Cuellar make a guarantee up close brutal fun fight. Unfortunately Cuellar will emerge looking like a crash test dummy. Davis seems like he needs to get his head straight and not sure handing him another title with a guy not even in his weight class does him any favors. What are the odds he blows weight again to look even more spectacular because he already knows he has no intention of remaining 130 .
    Could Loma's decision to move to 135 be a reason he's remaining at 130
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information