Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How does the Mexican community feel about Pacquiao?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How does the Mexican community feel about Pacquiao?

Do they hold a similar resentment towards him as they did other fighters who'd rival their heroes? Guys like Camacho, Naseem Hamed and even Oscar De La Hoya were constantly booed by fans when I would watch PPV fights down in Tijuana back in those days.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How does the Mexican community feel about Pacquiao?

He's viewed as just another fighter. No difference than the way Kevin Kelley or Troy Dorsey is viewed. They know he's beaten a couple of Mexican fighters. But they know he's suffered 4 losses against them

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mexicans i know think Pac is just a fortunate fighter who came along at the right time when the mexican legends were on the slide.. True..

Careful matchmaking is the main reason for his rise they say...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, it shouldn't be all about an ethnical community thing. It should be all about the whole boxing community. When a french canadian boxer gets screw up (like Lukas vs Beyer in Lepizig), I was sure disappointed because he comes from a place close to where I've been raised but more importantly, i thought it was extremely unfair for a guy who did travel up to Germany in a hostile land in order to give it a shot. Manny never had bad words for mexican fighters, it's not a community thing, really, not like if every time Pacquiao would have fight a mexican he would have bad mouthed them and than run off with a shady decision.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Honestly, it shouldn't be all about an ethnical community thing. It should be all about the whole boxing community. When a french canadian boxer gets screw up (like Lukas vs Beyer in Lepizig), I was sure disappointed because he comes from a place close to where I've been raised but more importantly, i thought it was extremely unfair for a guy who did travel up to Germany in a hostile land in order to give it a shot. Manny never had bad words for mexican fighters, it's not a community thing, really, not like if every time Pacquiao would have fight a mexican he would have bad mouthed them and than run off with a shady decision.
    I completely agree with the anti-race thing. Screw it. I support fighters with no regard to their race/ethnicity. It's getting better too. I was at the Froch v. Taylor fight sitting near some Brits who were Indian who were big Froch fans, and I'm not black and I was there rooting for Jermain. However, with the recent comments by Casamayor, Floyd, and Hopkins, it's hard not to argue that many people are still very racial in boxing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On the Mexican community though, I've seen quite a few youtube clips of Mexicans rooting for Cotto against Margarito because they view Margarito as a cheater. I'm not sure if that is a consensus feeling though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    On the Mexican community though, I've seen quite a few youtube clips of Mexicans rooting for Cotto against Margarito because they view Margarito as a cheater. I'm not sure if that is a consensus feeling though.

It's not. Most mexicans love Margarito..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    It shouldn't be an ethnicity thing in boxing I agree, but ethnicity do play a huge role in it. Always has, always will.

Thread Information