Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Smoger felt Margarito was turning the tide when the doctor robbed Margarito

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Steve Smoger felt Margarito was turning the tide when the doctor robbed Margarito

Smoger: Margarito was turning the fight around on Cotto when it was stopped

Here is the man who was closest to the action...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Steve Smoger felt Margarito was turning the tide when the doctor robbed Margarito

I hope whoever wrote that article isn't getting paid.

He's right though, Margarito did catch Cotto with some beautiful 'shuts' in the 9th round.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Steve Smoger felt Margarito was turning the tide when the doctor robbed Margarito

I think Cotto was slowing and Margarito was still coming on. The main difference though was that Cotto learned from the last fight and Margarito's face doesn't hold up anymore. I yearn for the return of 15 round fights, 12 rounds isn't enough to separate the men from the boys. It will never happen though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a karma stoppage. The eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes "LOL" just doesn't say it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea cause getting man handled and pushed into the ropes is a sure fire sign of the tide turning, Margarito landed a couple punches with no power and Cotto answered back, still winning the 9th round, that being said chime in Outspoken who obviously is gonna come in with his usual rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito fans should just be thankful that the fight was stopped the way it did. This prevented Antonio from getting blind.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito was coming on more but his punches didn't seem effective, lacked power and he would have been blind if the fight wasn't stopped. I didn't want it to be stopped just to see what happens but it was good for margaritos health.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smoger is a very respected ref. His opinion is well valued. It's to bad he didn't get to make the final decision. Cuz I too saw the fight starting to change. Cotto was already starting to back up in that moronic fashion of his. Had the fight gone on I think he would of just hung on and made it to the bell to take a points victory. But I doubt he cries like a bitch in celebration afterwards.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Update..

By Dan Ambrose:

After seeing the Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito fight last night for the second time, I’m now even more convinced that Cotto was saved by the referee stepping in and halting the fight after the 9th round last week to prevent Cotto from being knocked out for a second time against the tough Mexican warrior Margarito. Cotto doesn’t deserve to move on and fight Manny Pacquiao again or face Floyd Mayweather Jr. for that matter. Cotto deserves Margarito one more time.

The fight pretty much proved that Margarito beat Cotto fair and square in their first fight in 2008, because Margarito was wearing Cotto down much in the same way this time. At the end of the 9th, Cotto was looking weaker, tired and was starting to take bad punishment. Had the referee not halted the fight at that point, Margarito would have had three long rounds to work Cotto over, bust his face up, and hurt him with uppercuts like last time.

I’m convinced we would have seen Cotto down on his knees in a submissive position ready to surrender to Margarito’s force of will. I saw it happening it really makes me angry how the doctor halted a fight where Margarito could still see out of his swollen right eye. The fight needed to have continued, but the stoppage clearly favored Cotto. He didn’t have to take Margarito’s punishment when he no longer had the legs to run anymore.

I think there really needs to be a third fight between Cotto and Margarito, but this time in a neutral venue with a different doctor working the fight. It can’t be in Cotto’s neck of the woods on the East coast because we could have Cotto winning by another controversial stoppage. It needs to be Vegas or ideally Mexico. I’d prefer Mexico since we just had the fight in Cotto’s territory.

It’s only fair that the fight be held in Margarito’s home country. Right now each fighter has won one fight a piece, and Margarito’s win was a lot more impressive than Cotto’s. To find out who the better fighter is, they need one more fight but we can’t have a doctor hastily jumping in and putting a stop to it at the first sign of trouble for Cotto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hilarious.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just going to assume that Dan Ambrose is functionally retarded. Judging by his writing ability and the cohesion of his arguments it seems like a logical conclusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you spend the whole fight getting puched in the face you have only yourself to blame for the loss.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto was in total control and would have seen the fight to points easily.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say we (Mexican fighter fans) just let this one go and give our support to a better, classier fighter.

One that doenst wear mullets or cornrows!!
    The key is Self-discipline.

Thread Information