Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can Khan compete at 147?

Can Amir Khan be competitive up at welter? If he beats Peterson in the rematch he say's he will probably fight Garcia then move up. He insists he won't fight Bradley and then say's he won't ever fight Brook whilst also saying he would knock him out. He does not do a lot to make himself new fans but he has stepped up from lightweight and fought some decent competition at light welter. Can he do the same up at welterweight?

Khan Interview -

Part 1 -http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content12078.html
    Part 2- FIGHTHYPE \\ AMIR KHAN: "MANNY JUST HAS TO BE CAREFUL WITH THAT BIG HEAD OF BRADLEY...HE WILL SPARK HIM"
    Last edited by Beanz; 04-02-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can Khan compete at 147?

I think Khan has two flaws that drive me nuts whenever I see him fight. He's fast, he's got pop, hell he's got guts too. But for the love of god it makes me bang my head against the wall when I see him consistently reach with his punches. He is also very inaccurate, I can't decide if its because he throws a lot of punches and is hoping for some to land or that he's just anxious to get in and get out back to safety.

I would have loved to see him fight a prime Marquez. I think his anathema is a level headed counter puncher. However I think he'll have no problem against Mike Jones, Alexander, Ortiz (although if Ortiz pressures him like he did Berto then who knows). I do think Berto would get the better of him.

Out of all those mentioned not named Mayweather, he's got the best sense of anticipation and countering which is something that I do not think Khan can overcome. Not because he lacks skill, its just a simple case of styles making fights.

Reason I don't consider a bout with him vs Pacman or Money May is because they're the 'old' guard and once they retire the division will belong to the aforementioned fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I think of any of the guys at the top I could not think of a definate winner. You have Khan, Ortiz, Berto, Peterson, Jones and Alexander. They are all good fighters and I believe on any given day one could get the better of the other. I believe Bradley is obove them and could probably beat most of them. Then Pac only just above Bradley and Floyd way up the top above all of them.
    A great devision and I think Khan would fit in perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Can Amir Khan be competitive up at welter? If he beats Peterson in the rematch he say's he will probably fight Garcia then move up. He insists he won't fight Bradley and then say's he won't ever fight Brook whilst also saying he would knock him out. He does not do a lot to make himself new fans but he has stepped up from lightweight and fought some decent competition at light welter. Can he do the same up at welterweight?

Khan Interview -

Part 1 -FIGHTHYPE \\ AMIR KHAN: "I'VE BEEN WORKING ON A COUPLE OF NEW THINGS...YOU'LL SEE A DIFFERENT AMIR"
    Part 2- FIGHTHYPE \\ AMIR KHAN: "MANNY JUST HAS TO BE CAREFUL WITH THAT BIG HEAD OF BRADLEY...HE WILL SPARK HIM"
    Please dont say that Khan is avoiding Bradley. Were you asleep for a year. Did you not see him put Bradley down constantly trying his best to get a fight. As far as Kell Brook goes he could be a good fight for Khan. But he needs to fight at least one good contender near the top before hand. Kell has won alot of fights but who are they. A couple of little names like Ndou and Hatton but there not world class.
    I understand why you dont like him because of his smug attitude but the guy has had one less fight than Brook and has fought world class opposition. He is always going for the big fight and takes risks.
    I would love to see more fighters like khan taking on challanges than fighters who have 30 fights or more against losers just for a better record (Jhon Murray).
    I like the fact that Kell wants the fight but he should be willing to take on someone in the lower top 10 or 12 before he deserves a shot at the title. Not just fight a bunch of safe nobodies to make his record look good.

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post

Khan Interview -

Part 1 -FIGHTHYPE \\ AMIR KHAN: "I'VE BEEN WORKING ON A COUPLE OF NEW THINGS...YOU'LL SEE A DIFFERENT AMIR"
    Please dont say that Khan is avoiding Bradley. Were you asleep for a year. Did you not see him put Bradley down constantly trying his best to get a fight. As far as Kell Brook goes he could be a good fight for Khan. But he needs to fight at least one good contender near the top before hand. Kell has won alot of fights but who are they. A couple of little names like Ndou and Hatton but there not world class.
    I understand why you dont like him because of his smug attitude but the guy has had one less fight than Brook and has fought world class opposition. He is always going for the big fight and takes risks.
    I would love to see more fighters like khan taking on challanges than fighters who have 30 fights or more against losers just for a better record (Jhon Murray).
    I like the fact that Kell wants the fight but he should be willing to take on someone in the lower top 10 or 12 before he deserves a shot at the title. Not just fight a bunch of safe nobodies to make his record look good.
    Uhm....I never said Khan was avoiding Bradley. I have consistently berated Bradley for avoiding Khan. I merely pointed out that what Amir said in the linked interview about not wanting to fight Pacquiao's left overs. I am a fan of Khan as a fighter but his personality and arrogance is now starting to overshadow his ability. He is nothing like the finished article but has fought decent opposition, as I have pointed out, for which you have to respect the guy.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post

Khan Interview -

Uhm....I never said Khan was avoiding Bradley. I have consistently berated Bradley for avoiding Khan. I merely pointed out that what Amir said in the linked interview about not wanting to fight Pacquiao's left overs. I am a fan of Khan as a fighter but his personality and arrogance is now starting to overshadow his ability. He is nothing like the finished article but has fought decent opposition, as I have pointed out, for which you have to respect the guy.
    Beanz I don't think Khan, is no were near as good as he thinks he is in his defeat to Peterson he did
    show people his arrogance he blamed ever one bar himself.
    As for boxing ability very fast hands , I would say he is open to the left hook and he will have trouble with fighters looping punches,and that chin of his is not the best fighters at 147 hit a lot harder.
    He may win a title at 147 but I feel he may not keep it long,as for the fans he uses that word humble
    I feel he does not no the meaning of the word. Does he endear himself to the fans may be not when
    some fighters win a title the personality changes some for the better and some for the worse.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not sure how he wars? Would have liked to see how he reacts under pressure and pain how he tackles a war monger, someone like Mike Alvorado at 140.

If hes moving up then maybe Ill get my wish faster from someone, even with someone fresh with pop like Canelo S Alverez could be fun.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I havent seen much of Khan and its hard to tell on paper ,can someone tell me; who has given him the hardest fight so far?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I havent seen much of Khan and its hard to tell on paper ,can someone tell me; who has given him the hardest fight so far?
    You could say either Maidana or Peterson. He beat Maidana on points reasonably easily but was close to getting knocked down a couple of times. In my opinion Peterson gave him the hardest fight. He pushed Khan all the way through and never got an easy round.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as the Maidana and Peterson fights go Khan started off looking a class apart, far faster, far more skilful etc. but as soon as he got clocked he seemed to slow right down to his opponents' level. He spent the rest of the fights taking a lot of punches. His defence isn't going to get any better at 147 and he's going to get hit a lot harder. I see him staying at 140 as llong as he can and if and when he does move up he'll be very carefully managed.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it will be much harder for Khan at welterweight. He has the speed to trouble most of the top fighters at the weight but do not think he has the skill and strength to hold them off to pull out a victory. Kell Brooks needs needs some further experience and exposure and maybe even win a title for Khan to think about fighting him. I think Brooks and Mike Jones can beat Khan.

Khan would beat the other fighters going up in weight like Alexander, Maidana and Ortiz.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Khan can be competitive at 147 if he is matched right
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Khan learns to move his head, then yes, the guys at 147 can walk through his punches, but if Khan can dodge theres better no problem. At the moment Khan just stands upright with his hands up and gets nailed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure he can.. He has the height, reach and the frame to even compete as a junior middleweight in the near future..

Just like pacquiao, I think khan will be successful in the higher divisions due to his exceptional speed.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only thing I think he suffers is under the technique department. He just reaches too much with his punches.

Thread Information