Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Going to my first live match a and got a question

I was already planning on visiting my bud in Saint Louis this weekend and realized that alexander maidana is this weekend so got us a couple tickets. Never been to a live match so rather excited and hope it's a cracking fight. question I got is ticketmaster has event start time as 5 pm, and surely undercard and stuff cant be starting that early, what would be a good time to show up if I want to see the undercard and everything tho?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Going to my first live match a and got a question

undercard probably will start not long after 5

I was like you first time I went to a fight and wanted to get in for undercard etc.. Got there and was bored shitless after half an hour (no one else around either).

Left and went to pub and came back three hours or so later - was still too early for main event !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    I was already planning on visiting my bud in Saint Louis this weekend and realized that alexander maidana is this weekend so got us a couple tickets. Never been to a live match so rather excited and hope it's a cracking fight. question I got is ticketmaster has event start time as 5 pm, and surely undercard and stuff cant be starting that early, what would be a good time to show up if I want to see the undercard and everything tho?
    Why not watch the under card go early enjoy the lot not just the main event.

El Kabong Guest

They sell beer and liquor at the events I've been to....why not go early watch the undercard fights (where the fighters really go at it!) and get a good buzz on before the Main Event

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The HBO card doesn't start until 9:00 PM CDT in St Louis, first up @ about 9:15 PM would be Broner vs. Eloy Perez. You might show up a little earlier earlier than say, 7:30 or 8:00 PM to catch one or 2 of the non-televised undercard fights, but not before. That would be my suggestion.

P.S. take it easy on the beer or you'll be running back and forth to the restroom.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 02-22-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Many times, on televised cards, they'll have a couple fights early to test out the cameras, etc... to make everything is working. Then they'll show the two televised fights...but don't leave then because there will usually be several walkout fights. And those are often pretty good- saw Jose Luis Castillo for the first time in a walkout bout.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the advice guys, the beer I better keep it in moderation so I'm not plastered by time main event rolls around.
    Last edited by armin; 02-22-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen some interesting undercards live, for the few fights I've seen live that is.

I've also messed up when I wanted to get there trying to calculate when it's live in what timezone blah blah blah... and missed the undercards completely. Didn't miss the main event tho.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say it is usually around an hour to ninety minutes between gates opening and the first bout of the evening. Depends on the promoter I suppose, maybe check on boxrec beforehand to see how many fights are scheduled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have fun, good card.

Deontay Wilder vs a bum
    Bogere-his ring walk will be fun like always.
    Maidana Alexander
    Perez Broner

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    have fun, good card.

Deontay Wilder vs a bum
    Bogere-his ring walk will be fun like always.
    Maidana Alexander
    Perez Broner
    Yeah I'm excited. Wanted to go to alexander-bradley since that wasn't to far but that fell thru , in retrospect a good thing since the fight was junky. So if its four bouts I would think first one won't be till close to 7ish, thanks for the info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've found that boxing matches are the best BY FAR for people watching compared to any other live sporting event. People watching is entertaining if the undercards are boring.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright armin you might say I have a little experience in attending fights...

A few pointers:
    Don't forget your tickets
    Don't forget your ID
    Camera fully charged & SD card with full capacity (If possible an extra battery & SD card would be great)
    Arrive early and enjoy the FULL event. That's what you paid for trust me I have seen the beginings of some really good careers. Some debuts and also early career fights of some now really good and known fighters. "Super G" Proksa, "Baby Bull" Diaz, DeMarco, Paez Jr, Yohnny Perez, Angulo, Gamboa and also Jessie Vargas. I can go on and on. The undercards are IMO just as important and as entertaining as the main event. You might just be seeing an early glimpse at a future superstar

Also optional you can take sharpie (marker) and you can go to any sporting goods store and buy a pair of gloves so you can get some signatures on there. Trust me you will be amazed at how many boxers & entertainers show up. A simple hello can you sign my glove will suffice and of course a thank you is always great. You and your friend can take turns taking the pics. Don't hesitate to walk up and ask cuz if you don't someone else will and your going to regret not asking. Live it up my man. Trust me you'll be happy you listened to me once you look back and see what you would have missed out on.
    Posters like PrideOfBoston and the once mike_the_man and also other posters like mickey_luvsu have followed my advice and have some pretty neat autographs & pictures.

If you want to you can also up grade your tickets... Not sure where you will be seating but incase you guys are pretty far back. The 1st mistake you can make is go to an usher and ask where are your seats. Because they have now eyed you and know where you belong. So try to figure it out on your own. Once you know don't got directly there if there are empty seats closer without having to show your stub go closer. I have yet to sit down in a seat and have the actual people who own the ticket show up. Maybe just luck. And if they do just say sorry my mistake and move a row a back. I talked my way thru security at the PBF-ODLH press conference here in LA and also the MAB-Juarez press conference also here in LA. You just gotta find your way thru if you want to do that...

When I went to go see Bradley vs. Peterson I had 2nd level seats. To be honest it was a great view like from a balcony I posted some pictures. But I made way down stairs and wound up sitting ringside for the main event. I met Lennon Jr., Angulo & Danny Green there. You just gotta keep your eyes open and watch how the security works and the 2nd you catch one of them not looking or get distracted you make your move.

Good luck my man... Enjoy. I looked up the event and the card looks really good.
    Last edited by CutMeMick; 02-24-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

A few pointers:
    Don't forget your ID
    Camera fully charged & SD card with full capacity (If possible an extra battery & SD card would be great)
    Arrive early and enjoy the FULL event. That's what you paid for trust me I have seen the beginings of some really good careers. Some debuts and also early career fights of some now really good and known fighters. "Super G" Proksa, "Baby Bull" Diaz, DeMarco, Paez Jr, Yohnny Perez, Angulo, Gamboa and also Jessie Vargas. I can go on and on. The undercards are IMO just as important and as entertaining as the main event. You might just be seeing an early glimpse at a future superstar

Also optional you can take sharpie (marker) and you can go to any sporting goods store and buy a pair of gloves so you can get some signatures on there. Trust me you will be amazed at how many boxers & entertainers show up. A simple hello can you sign my glove will suffice and of course a thank you is always great. You and your friend can take turns taking the pics. Don't hesitate to walk up and ask cuz if you don't someone else will and your going to regret not asking. Live it up my man. Trust me you'll be happy you listened to me once you look back and see what you would have missed out on.
    Posters like PrideOfBoston and the once mike_the_man and also other posters like mickey_luvsu have followed my advice and have some pretty neat autographs & pictures.

If you want to you can also up grade your tickets... Not sure where you will be seating but incase you guys are pretty far back. The 1st mistake you can make is go to an usher and ask where are your seats. Because they have now eyed you and know where you belong. So try to figure it out on your own. Once you know don't got directly there if there are empty seats closer without having to show your stub go closer. I have yet to sit down in a seat and have the actual people who own the ticket show up. Maybe just luck. And if they do just say sorry my mistake and move a row a back. I talked my way thru security at the PBF-ODLH press conference here in LA and also the MAB-Juarez press conference also here in LA. You just gotta find your way thru if you want to do that...

When I went to go see Bradley vs. Peterson I had 2nd level seats. To be honest it was a great view like from a balcony I posted some pictures. But I made way down stairs and wound up sitting ringside for the main event. I met Lennon Jr., Angulo & Danny Green there. You just gotta keep your eyes open and watch how the security works and the 2nd you catch one of them not looking or get distracted you make your move.

Good luck my man... Enjoy. I looked up the event and the card looks really good.
    Thanks for the advice mick. I wasnt sure about cameras if youre allowed or not but I guess you are so definitely taking it with me. As for autographs heck yeah I'm getting some if I happen to run into any of them...and I just now looked the actual card up on boxrec and there is like 10 matches so yeah I'll be showing up at 5 and watching the whole thing, I just didn't want to show up at 5 and have to wait 2 hours for anything to happen. As for sneaking into better seats I think we'll probably take normal seats first, scope the situation out and see if we can move up some

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking Re: Going to my first live match a and got a question

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

A few pointers:
    Don't forget your ID

Thanks for the advice mick. I wasnt sure about cameras if youre allowed or not but I guess you are so definitely taking it with me. As for autographs heck yeah I'm getting some if I happen to run into any of them...and I just now looked the actual card up on boxrec and there is like 10 matches so yeah I'll be showing up at 5 and watching the whole thing, I just didn't want to show up at 5 and have to wait 2 hours for anything to happen. As for sneaking into better seats I think we'll probably take normal seats first, scope the situation out and see if we can move up some
    The last big fight I went to was Haye v Ruiz, the at-mos-fear was electric, been to plenty other fights
    since in joy my friend.

Thread Information