Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why I always felt Hatton was a worse opponent for Floyd than Cotto

Footspeed, plain and simple. Cotto is really good against fast guys like Judah and Mosley who aren't usually quick to move back, or guys to clinch a lot. Against Paulie I know that Cotto had a lot of troubles after the first few rounds with him, first off he found it difficult to find Paulie who would usually duck under the jab and tie Cotto up before Cotto could get off combinations. Against Hatton who was arguably as quick as Paulie maybe faster of foot, When Paulie tried to duck under and tie Hatton up, Ricky was fast enough to move backwards or to the side and get off more punches. Also Paulie was able to keep Cotto honest physically, Cotto wasn't able to bully him around as the fight went on the way that Cotto usually bullies guys around. I think Hatton's speed is really undervalued, and last night you saw the difference it can make in a fight. Its similar to the difference between Hopkins-Cazlaghe and Hopkins-Pavlik. Pavlik is the more conventional, heavier puncher, and Calzaghe is the more unorthodox guy. Yet it was Calzaghe not Pavlik who tired Hopkins out, Pavlik was only able to throw 400 punches against HOpkins while Calzaghe threw 700. Its footspeed, the most underrated asset a fighter can have in this day and age.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why I always felt Hatton was a worse opponent for Floyd than Cotto

I know nobody has bothered reply to this but....

The one thing Ricky is acknowkledged to have himself is grteat footwork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After all , first i want to say Hello to everybody i being out as some friends know , because i been very busy in my Job but i had to take out a little time now to say Hello and shares few minutes , dont think that i forgot to all of you , probably i will be more often with all of you next year ..........................

Hi Teath , IMO Cotto when fought Malignaggi if i remember Cotto didnt have the same footwork , lateral movement and speed that have now ....

Althgough in the fight i could see Hatton that night with more combinations and movement , Malignaggi never fallowed the instructions also , Hatton as i could see , he got very good improvement since his last 2 fights..........................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Footspeed, plain and simple. Cotto is really good against fast guys like Judah and Mosley who aren't usually quick to move back, or guys to clinch a lot. Against Paulie I know that Cotto had a lot of troubles after the first few rounds with him, first off he found it difficult to find Paulie who would usually duck under the jab and tie Cotto up before Cotto could get off combinations. Against Hatton who was arguably as quick as Paulie maybe faster of foot, When Paulie tried to duck under and tie Hatton up, Ricky was fast enough to move backwards or to the side and get off more punches. Also Paulie was able to keep Cotto honest physically, Cotto wasn't able to bully him around as the fight went on the way that Cotto usually bullies guys around. I think Hatton's speed is really undervalued, and last night you saw the difference it can make in a fight. Its similar to the difference between Hopkins-Cazlaghe and Hopkins-Pavlik. Pavlik is the more conventional, heavier puncher, and Calzaghe is the more unorthodox guy. Yet it was Calzaghe not Pavlik who tired Hopkins out, Pavlik was only able to throw 400 punches against HOpkins while Calzaghe threw 700. Its footspeed, the most underrated asset a fighter can have in this day and age.
    Good point. Hatton was always good at closing the distance, when he was younger he would get back out again before he turned into a mauler. Haven't seen last saturday but it sounds he MAY be on the way back.

You're spot on on foot speed, some fans reckon a guy like johnson could simply walk through Joe's slaps and bash him up. But the fact is, after landing his slap and the opponent takes the step forward joe is no longer there. Lacy tried that all night and it isn't the way to beat him.

Thread Information