Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia is a boss

Quote Originally Posted by TAPugil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    He could be the modern day Henry Armstrong
    Beat me to it. On one hand today's fighters are supposed to be better, yet they sniffle of the thought of being outweighed by 4-10lbs.
    Yep some of the best have done well in 5 or more weights.

I'm a big Mikey fan, I'd prefer he didn't fight Spence next (I'd prefer Loma) but if he does, I will support him. A win makes him an ATG I'd say.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we all would prefer Loma, but again Arum said “we absolutely will not negotiate with Garcia”. To talk about Garcia/Loma is pointless, it won’t happen unless Garcia becomes a PPV draw. Then Bob could possibly be moved on the issue.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence will wreck Garcia.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey wants a mega fight and I totally get that. It's deserved and he's done nothing but win. But I think that's what a lot of the talk is about. Not to long ago what, he was talking about fighting Cotto. Didn't he balk at Golden boy too? I mean at some point in this boxing swamp you have to deal with people you may not be able to stomach. At least to a degree. Spence is simple convenience with same network, promotions and evidently an available date. But I wouldn't pay for it, not a dollar. What gets me is the Showtime announce team and Spence talk about a potential Mikey 'event' like it's a showcase side project as they sit there hyping Spence unification early next year with Garcia v Porter winner. Again same network etc.

I don't know about trinket collecting legitimizing a guy as one of an era. Many many guys have won multiple division belts. Crazy thing is Mikey wins them and until last Saturday he has walked away from them. Mikey is a fantastic talent and a genuinely straight forward guy but I look at 140 on that 5'6 frame and he's simply not bulking on 147+ and walking onto Spence like he did Easter and Lipinets. It'll end brutally for him.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again, my main problem is wasted time. Unlike 70 years ago, top fighters only fight at most 3 times a year. Many times only 2. If Mikey would fight 6 times and one of them was Spence, I would have zero problem with it. He would still have other good fights and the Spence fight wouldn’t interfere with his career.

I just feel that he loses to Spence then has to take a tune up back down to 140 and get his career back on track. I believe it will waste at least a year in his career especially since he already lost a few not too long ago.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That 8/9 fight stretch for Mikey is looking pretty decent. Starting with Salido to win a 126 title, 2 fights later Roman Martinez to win a 130 title, 3 fights later Zlaticanin for a 135 title, 2 fights later Lipnets for a 140 title, then next fight a lightweight unification.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Mikey wants a mega fight and I totally get that. It's deserved and he's done nothing but win. But I think that's what a lot of the talk is about. Not to long ago what, he was talking about fighting Cotto. Didn't he balk at Golden boy too? I mean at some point in this boxing swamp you have to deal with people you may not be able to stomach. At least to a degree. Spence is simple convenience with same network, promotions and evidently an available date. But I wouldn't pay for it, not a dollar. What gets me is the Showtime announce team and Spence talk about a potential Mikey 'event' like it's a showcase side project as they sit there hyping Spence unification early next year with Garcia v Porter winner. Again same network etc.

I don't know about trinket collecting legitimizing a guy as one of an era. Many many guys have won multiple division belts. Crazy thing is Mikey wins them and until last Saturday he has walked away from them. Mikey is a fantastic talent and a genuinely straight forward guy but I look at 140 on that 5'6 frame and he's simply not bulking on 147+ and walking onto Spence like he did Easter and Lipinets. It'll end brutally for him.
    Mikey is completely willing to deal with them. He just isn’t willing to sign extended promotion contracts beyond the fight he works with them. That is completely fair.

I’m not sure why Mikey should have to sell his career to get a fight. Frankly, it’s extortion by the promoters.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 08-03-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Mikey is completely willing to deal with them. He just isn’t willing to sign extended promotion contracts beyond the fight he works with them. That is completely fair.

I’m not sure why Mikey should have to sell his career to get a fight. Frankly, it’s extortion by the promoters.
    You're right in what you say, but this is nothing new . I admire Garcia standing his ground, and I really like him as a Boxer and his attitude. But more often than not , there comes a time , like @Spicoli said that you have to make a deal you would rather not . Even Floyd had to take a high finance risk by buying himself out of a contract , and it worked for him , but not everybody is Floyd.
    what I Don't agree with is that @Spicoli said he wouldn't pay a Dollar for it. I would definitely pay for it.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No fighter should be swindled into a long term binding deal for the sake of one weekend, we learned that from King. Mikey says completely willing, Arum has said he'll make an offer, and around and around we go. What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class. Call out Arum and show some fire for a legitimate mega fight instead of the default 'whelp dad says no so forget it'. Fans get tired of that and I'm hard pressed to think of many top 'elites' who are given instant slack while their best match up falls by the wayside.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That 8/9 fight stretch for Mikey is looking pretty decent. Starting with Salido to win a 126 title, 2 fights later Roman Martinez to win a 130 title, 3 fights later Zlaticanin for a 135 title, 2 fights later Lipnets for a 140 title, then next fight a lightweight unification.
    An impressive run no doubt. Even more so considering he topped Salido prior to him getting the W over Loma. You cannot fault a guy for winning and Mikey does it in top notch fashion. But as said many guys being called 'future greats' collect trinkets and then can just bounce a division. We see it often. I don't put a lot of stock in Zlaticanin at 135 and while Lipinets is talented that was again a trinket grab vs a guy he was favored to beat. Again all the power to him but imo true legacy isn't measured by a belt count.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

You're right in what you say, but this is nothing new . I admire Garcia standing his ground, and I really like him as a Boxer and his attitude. But more often than not , there comes a time , like @Spicoli said that you have to make a deal you would rather not . Even Floyd had to take a high finance risk by buying himself out of a contract , and it worked for him , but not everybody is Floyd.
    what I Don't agree with is that @Spicoli said he wouldn't pay a Dollar for it. I would definitely pay for it.
    Honestly bud and speaking for no one but myself it feels a bit like Showtime and the proposed scenario are taking fans for granted. Just because a 'big name' match is easily made doesn't mean it should be. Not to mention an out of division mega fight made for the sake of making one. You want to enter a huge PPV match up thinking it will be even and competitive..not hoping it will be. Love Spence, love Mikey but keeping my loot should this come off.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mikey Garcia is punch perfect.

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class
    Both Loma and Linares did it for their bout and forced the promoters to get the fight done. I hope the same can happen here.

An impressive run no doubt. Even more so considering he topped Salido prior to him getting the W over Loma. You cannot fault a guy for winning and Mikey does it in top notch fashion. But as said many guys being called 'future greats' collect trinkets and then can just bounce a division. We see it often. I don't put a lot of stock in Zlaticanin at 135 and while Lipinets is talented that was again a trinket grab vs a guy he was favored to beat. Again all the power to him but imo true legacy isn't measured by a belt count.
    I don't put much value in belts either, Zlaticanin and Easter were both undefeated rated fighters. Salido, Martinez, and possibly Broner, Lipinets were all considered top 10 guys at the time Garcia fought them.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class
    Both Loma and Linares did it for their bout and forced the promoters to get the fight done. I hope the same can happen here.

I don't put much value in belts either, Zlaticanin and Easter were both undefeated rated fighters. Salido, Martinez, and possibly Broner, Lipinets were all considered top 10 guys at the time Garcia fought them.
    Looks like he's been ordered to face his mandatory in Commey who's a decent date. But more than likely Mikey will walk away from the belt he just won, interested to see what he does.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No fighter should be swindled into a long term binding deal for the sake of one weekend, we learned that from King. Mikey says completely willing, Arum has said he'll make an offer, and around and around we go. What I want is to see some desire from both Loma and Mikey regarding one of the better match ups of this era..in a proper weight class. Call out Arum and show some fire for a legitimate mega fight instead of the default 'whelp dad says no so forget it'. Fans get tired of that and I'm hard pressed to think of many top 'elites' who are given instant slack while their best match up falls by the wayside.
    Again, you put the onus on the wrong guy. Mikey said “you say you’ll make an offer, make an offer” and crickets. It’s on Loma to tell his guy who said “we absolutely will not negotiate with Garcia” that he needs to negotiate with Garcia. You keep blaming the side that is willing while not blaming the side that is not willing.

Mikey deserves blame when Arum says “we offered a one off fight at his current rate per fight” but you and I both know Arum will not offer either the money Mikey makes it a fight without strings. So place the blame where we both know it belongs.

Thread Information