Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would Mayweather be scared of Pacquiao?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why would Mayweather be scared of Pacquiao?

Stylistically I don't think people get how tailor made Manny is for Floyd. His bouncing, rhythm based style makes it so easy for Mayweather read when what Manny will be doing, and Floyd will figure him out in a couple of rounds and beat him to the punch for the rest of the fight ala Mosley. The biggest problem with Manny's style is that he loses balance, position at the end of a combination, and he needs a specific rhythm and distance to get off effectively, Marquez either stayed too close or too far away and Floyd would do the same thing, and he would pepper Pacquiao with lead right hands followed by the left hook then lots and lots of body shots. I think by the sixth round that Manny would be in a totally defensive shell where he would be too frustrated and try to load up more, but it would only make it easier for Floyd to beat him to the punch and hit him even more.

I just don't see Manny as his biggest challenge, IMO Bradley in a few fights will be a more significant threat because of how well rounded and skilled he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why would Mayweather be scared of Pacquiao?

exactly. then why all this bickering? lets just get this fight over with.

the gag order on the negotiations gives me this feeling its definitely happening. get ready to be hyped to the max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There isn't any logical reason that can be seen why Mayweather would be scared of Pac....

But I think Mayweather, in spite of pretending he doesn't give a shit about anything except money, cares a lot for his big "zero"...

To work his way to the top, he did what it took.. Which didn't involve making demands extreme demands which ventured away from the boxing norm...

But he reached the top, had his break and time to think about everything, and now he's back, he really wants to protect that zero.... So the first thing is instate a rule into his personal fights where everyone must have extreme drug testing... An extra insurance he doesn't give one minuscule advantage to an opponent... He CLEARLY states he is NOT interested in fights for Legacy, ONLY money.... Meaning anyone who can actually challenge Mayweather he won't consider unless they will bring a giant pay day... Eliminating another way his zero could be jeopardized. Then when the only pay day in town, pacquiao won't agree to the tests, he threatens to have another 2 year break...

I don't think he's scared of Pac.. I think he would 100% believe he can beat Pac.. As a lot of people think... But he's clearly hanging on to something and "scared" to let it go....

I just think it's a slight contradiction to say all he wants is money and that's all he cares about, yet possibly the biggest $$$ fight in history he is refusing to bend in any direction to make happen.... Hundreds of thousands of boxers before him have stepped in the ring under the current drug testing commission rules, and fought their guts out for themselves and for fans of boxing...

Mayweather should very much be campaigning with the boxing commission to bring in stronger testing. I think that is a good idea.. But denying everyone great fights to instate these rules himself for maybe the last 1 or 2 fights of his career, is a bit perplexing, and I find it hard to believe his thoughts are truly only about cleaning up boxing.. Of course he will have convinced himself that that is why he's being so solid about it, but Pac has agreed to more testing than the commission demands, the same commission that was good enough for him for this first 40 or so fights to get him rich, the same commission that every other boxer out there fights under, and has done for the past 100 years...

There are ways and processes to go through to change the drug rules for the good of boxing, but he's doing it for himself because he's scared of something..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Simply put Floyd is not scared of any fighter no elite professional fighter is scared of another if it's my job to fight fear does not come into it.

Floyd trusts the word of his father who was the first guy to start this drug testing bullshit. And Pac should have just taken the tests.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He probably isn't scared of Manny, but this fight above all others seems incredibly difficult to make. I don't put all the blame on Mayweather as he in the right on the drug testing issue, but there is no need to say silly things like "I'm not going to fight for two years" either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats why im thinking, Floyd is exceptionally the best no doubt, he could easily win and get $25 or maybe $40M by fighting Pacquiao. Just wondering why he could say some silly things he needs to rest or retire for another year or two.

Strange but here some points i consider, 1. Drug testing which already heard Pac agreed even on a 14thday which failed the first negotiation 2.avoiding fighting a lefties or southpaw. 3. Or on money 50/50 then 60/40.

here some old articles / audio clip from Mayweather Sr. regarding fighting a southpaw fighters

Floyd Mayweather Sr “My son will never fight Manny Pacquiao” --- audio May 2010
    &
    Floyd Mayweather Sr.: “Floyd would beat Pacquiao easier than he beat Shane” - May 2010 also regarding fighting a Martinez also a southpaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is not afraid of Pacquiao and Pacquiao is not afraid of Floyd. People who say that are just exposing their agendas. Lets talk sensical people. Pac straight out chose not to fight Yuri Foreman because he said he was too tall. Does that mean he is afraid of Foreman? No, it was just a bad matchup for him. Remember when Roach stated before the Mosley/Mayweather fight that Floyd would not sign to fight Mosley no matter what Indicating Mayweather was fearing Mosley. I was in disbelief because Roach knows better than to act like some outrageous fan. But then as soon as the fight was signed Roach was asked who he has winning and immediately without hesitation Roach says Mayweather easily. This right here just made me realize that anti-Floyd campaigns are not what people really believe its what they want to portray. People have to realize these guys are the elite of the elite and there is no fear of stepping in that ring. Maybe there are situations or circumstances that they do not prefer or absolutely will not accept but there is no fear of other guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he's not scared. Then why announce another retirement in the middle of negotiation? I think Floyd is a real chicken shiit. He's instinct is telling him that he can't beat a solid chin southpaw who can throw 80 solid punches per round.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    If he's not scared. Then why announce another retirement in the middle of negotiation? I think Floyd is a real chicken shiit. He's instinct is telling him that he can't beat a solid chin southpaw who can throw 80 solid punches per round.
    Why announce retirement? Because he can, as much as it pains many to say Floyd does not need this fight.

People say oh his legacy this, his legacy that but Floyd has said he does not care about legacy, in addition to this he has an ATG legacy no doubt anyway with or without Pac.

All of the issue surrounding this fight are related to the fans, not Floyd or Pac, he made tons of money from his last fight, has everyone talking about him, has the highest PPV average in history and is a part of the highest grossing fight of all time.

Why does he need to fight Pac? I want him too and think it would be a fantastic 50/50 fight but I'm not blind to the reality! The fans say he needs this fight but in reality he doesn't need shit he is a rich fighter who casual fans recognize as the best along with Pac the only people that need this fight are the fight fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It may not be fear in the Scared of him sense...As in afraid to be hit by him etc....

The Scared part could be that for one Floyd was for so many years talked about as the best in the sport he was going through divisions like butter...He became a marquee especially after the DLH bout.....

Now there is another guy that has gone through the divisions quicker, fighting guys much bigger then him...Biggest man Floyd ever fought was DLH....Also Floyd has a big ego just because he is not afraid of Pacquiao physically he could be afraid of looking bad, even being dropped on his ass a few times...He sees a guy who fights hungry not for money...he sees a guy who is not all loud and obnoxious...a fighter that has beaten the shit out of guys Floyd did his best not to face...(No for the obnoxious ones about to make a dumb comment it has nothing to do with Floyd being scared but fact is fact and Floyd has never sought out the divisions most dangerous fighters since his days at 135 resume aND TIME HE FOUGHT GUYS AND WHAT WAS AVAILABLE TO FIGHT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF) He ses a fighter who has endless stamina and one who is blinding fast and for those who do not think pacquiao is faster watch clips of their last fights side by side and use the slomo on your viewer to catch punch speed times.....He ses a fighter that can take shots from much bigger men and still stand......

In the end it all comes down to Floyds ego and fact he can not understand how it could be possible another man out there can do some better minus the defense....

You will be surprised what guys will avoid not because they are scared of person or situation but how they will look oin public if made to look a fool..

Like the school bully all of a sudden has to deal with a new kid who isnt afraid of him...The bully would probably kick his ass but if he pursued the fight it would not be easy and the intimidation factor would be gone so after a fight with the new kid he would find more and more kids standing up to him making it a whole lot harder to be a bully because he was made to no look so tough...Hence it is easier to just avoid the fight...EVEN IF HE WOULD WIN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    It may not be fear in the Scared of him sense...As in afraid to be hit by him etc....

The Scared part could be that for one Floyd was for so many years talked about as the best in the sport he was going through divisions like butter...He became a marquee especially after the DLH bout.....

Now there is another guy that has gone through the divisions quicker, fighting guys much bigger then him...Biggest man Floyd ever fought was DLH....Also Floyd has a big ego just because he is not afraid of Pacquiao physically he could be afraid of looking bad, even being dropped on his ass a few times...He sees a guy who fights hungry not for money...he sees a guy who is not all loud and obnoxious...a fighter that has beaten the shit out of guys Floyd did his best not to face...(No for the obnoxious ones about to make a dumb comment it has nothing to do with Floyd being scared but fact is fact and Floyd has never sought out the divisions most dangerous fighters since his days at 135 resume aND TIME HE FOUGHT GUYS AND WHAT WAS AVAILABLE TO FIGHT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF) He ses a fighter who has endless stamina and one who is blinding fast and for those who do not think pacquiao is faster watch clips of their last fights side by side and use the slomo on your viewer to catch punch speed times.....He ses a fighter that can take shots from much bigger men and still stand......

In the end it all comes down to Floyds ego and fact he can not understand how it could be possible another man out there can do some better minus the defense....

You will be surprised what guys will avoid not because they are scared of person or situation but how they will look oin public if made to look a fool..

Like the school bully all of a sudden has to deal with a new kid who isnt afraid of him...The bully would probably kick his ass but if he pursued the fight it would not be easy and the intimidation factor would be gone so after a fight with the new kid he would find more and more kids standing up to him making it a whole lot harder to be a bully because he was made to no look so tough...Hence it is easier to just avoid the fight...EVEN IF HE WOULD WIN!
    When JMMarquez called out Floyd, He fought him outright and beat him. That was truly amazing

On a more serious note, everything you just said, I agree with. Nice to know someone is realistic about all this crap.
    Last edited by JonnyFolds; 06-08-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's simple.....

Since 'they' are not negotiating in the media, it's Mayweather's way to stir the pot. If you read into it, it won't reason out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't believe Floyd is scared at all. I mean if you're scared, this is not the business for you. I just hope they can both just get past all the BS and make this fight happen. I would like to see a 40/40 split, with winner taking the other 20%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Why would Mayweather be scared of Pacquiao?

Great thread. Some very good arguments.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think he's scared of him. I agree with the original post that stylistically, Pacquiao is a good match up for Mayweather, but I think he's definitely worried about losing his "0". If he loses one fight, his whole gimmick is lost. He can't stand in front of a camera and say "I'm the best ever, all these other guys lost and I haven't" if he gets beat. In Pacquiao, he'd be up against a guy that, while I and many others don't think will win, can win. But I really don't think any fighters are scared, otherwise they wouldn't be fighters. You can't step into a ring scared of the man opposite you, otherwise you won't last long in the sport.

Thread Information