Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Beatles or Stones?

This is probably considered heresy, like criticizing God or something, but.. The Beatles had a lot of very popular songs, hence the great songwriter label. But as lyricists I'm not that impressed, there were and are plenty who are better with the words. Lennon was pretty good, Harrison had his moments, just not that many. McCartney when it came to words was and still is pretty banal for the most part. But they had some great melodies and vocal harmonies and lots of catchy tunes.

George Martin doesn't get nearly as much credit as he should for the Beatles musical creativity and instrumentation in later years.
    Last edited by CGM; 07-19-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    The only reason why I bring this topic up is because two guys at work believe the rolling stone are better. They must be high. The stones are a great rock band but that's all they are. The Beatles are so much more. They change the world and music forever. I want to see what you cats think. Please set these guys straight.
    They were both "boy bands," but I much prefer the Stones. The Beatles were one of the earliest examples of successful mass marketing of music...

I happen to like Led Zep better than both, though.
    "...went 12 rounds with Ali, and never took a backwards step."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hfahrenheit View Post
    The only reason why I bring this topic up is because two guys at work believe the rolling stone are better. They must be high. The stones are a great rock band but that's all they are. The Beatles are so much more. They change the world and music forever. I want to see what you cats think. Please set these guys straight.
    They were both "boy bands," but I much prefer the Stones. The Beatles were one of the earliest examples of successful mass marketing of music...

I think I'm probably the only person alive who is lukewarm on Led Zepplin. They have some good tunes, but they don't really do much for me. I think it's Plante's voice (sacrilege, I know).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

I think I'm probably the only person alive who is lukewarm on Led Zepplin. They have some good tunes, but they don't really do much for me. I think it's Plante's voice (sacrilege, I know).
    You and me both. Plant I find kind of pretentious. Page is a good studio guy, but live he is pretty average.

As for Neil Young vs the Beatles, well I thought you had it right the first time. I can go for months without hearing a Beatles song, or at least I would if I could, and not give a damn, but I go through withdrawal if I don't get my Neil.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post

You and me both. Plant I find kind of pretentious. Page is a good studio guy, but live he is pretty average.

As for Neil Young vs the Beatles, well I thought you had it right the first time. I can go for months without hearing a Beatles song, or at least I would if I could, and not give a damn, but I go through withdrawal if I don't get my Neil.
    All things being equal and ignoring all outside factors like influence etc. I would probably have Neil Young close to the Beatles in terms of my preferences. There are many times that I would choose NY over the Beatles without hesitation, perhaps even the majority of the time (for example, I have two Neil Young albums on my MP3 player and no Beatles), but I still love the Beatles. One mitigating factor is that I've heard almost every easily accessible (alubms + singles) Beatles song that I am somewhat sick of hearing almost all of them, so it's hard to gauge how much I really like them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All things being equal and ignoring all outside factors like influence etc. I would probably have Neil Young close to the Beatles in terms of my preferences. There are many times that I would choose NY over the Beatles without hesitation, perhaps even the majority of the time (for example, I have two Neil Young albums on my MP3 player and no Beatles), but I still love the Beatles. One mitigating factor is that I've heard almost every easily accessible (alubms + singles) Beatles song that I am somewhat sick of hearing almost all of them, so it's hard to gauge how much I really like them.
    Neil is a Canadian icon for sure, they love him here. I've seen maybe half a dozen of his shows over the years, arena shows that are always packed to the rafters, and the crowd is always very responsive.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Neil is a Canadian icon for sure, they love him here. I've seen maybe half a dozen of his shows over the years, arena shows that are always packed to the rafters, and the crowd is always very responsive.
    I saw him in Vancouver last year and it was easily one of the best shows I have ever seen. He pretty much sold out GM Place, which is pretty impressive. Not bad for a guy who suffered an aneurysm not long ago and who is well into his 7th decade (no pun intended). Matter of fact, I think I'll put on Rust Never Sleeps right now.

Interestingly enough, he did a great cover of A Day in the Life as his final song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd pick the Stones any day, 'Jumping Jack Flash' is one of my favourite songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd pick the Beatles any day as they had more talent than the Stones. Paul and John were the backbone of the Beatles and to this day Paul can write some great songs. I like the Stones but feel that talent wise the Beatles win my vote.

It's hard to compare the two bands, as their styles were so different. CCR and The Doors are 2 other favorites of mine.
    Last edited by boxinggirl; 07-23-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Stones out of the two but that's because I was raised on them with my mom. I'd take the Grateful Dead over either though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A friend of the devil is a friend of mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stones for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rocky55 View Post
    Stones for me.
    Hey, good call. Welcome to the monkey house. Get your first 100 posts done fast, there's plenty of fun to be had on the hidden board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stones for me.
    Hey, good call. Welcome to the monkey house. Get your first 100 posts done fast, there's plenty of fun to be had on the hidden board.
    thanks bro. music and boxing are my favorites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Beatles or Stones?

Stones for me.
    Hell, I'm trying to get to 30 so I can edit my profile.
    Last edited by boxinggirl; 07-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Thread Information