Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did Pavlik want to give it up?

back i round 8 i think it was when his trainer said dont talk like that i think Pavlik wanted to give up

you could tell after that he wasnt throwing much for punches or putting up anything for protection after that round as if he gave up and wasnt going to give up weather his trainer threw in the towel or not but he wanted to quit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Pavlik want to give it up?

May be, but dam those cuts, he would still have my respect if he quit right then...I don't know I just feel like pavlik used to throw a shit ton more and gradually hurt people, lots of 1-2s, doesn't seem to be the same guy, also way more muscle than he used to have. You used to look at the dude with them skinny ass arms and think to yourself he can't knock nobody out...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I remember him saying that but never caught what Pavlic said. I don't think the microphones were active when Pavlic said whatever he said.

Shame about the cuts but I'm glad the result was right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he said he couldnt see and Jack said not to say that because they would stop it. I thought the same thing about whether he wanted to quit.....

I felt bad for Pavlik.....

I called the result though, thought Martinez speed would be too much...
    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
    The only Acceptable Gun Control Law: Always use two hands when firing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I think he said he couldnt see and Jack said not to say that because they would stop it. I thought the same thing about whether he wanted to quit.....

idk if the result had as much to do as the cuts not getting cleaned up and/maybe Pavlik quiting as Martinez Speed

when pavlik wasnt cut and was really into the fight (rounds 4-7) it looked like he was going to win by round 10

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea his cutman definitely did a poor job on that cus the round after the bad one happened he came out looking the same as the previous round as if nothing had been worked on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by theGhostGhost View Post

idk if the result had as much to do as the cuts not getting cleaned up and/maybe Pavlik quiting as Martinez Speed

when pavlik wasnt cut and was really into the fight (rounds 4-7) it looked like he was going to win by round 10
    Yeah but it is not like Martinez just got lucky and caused one cut, pavlik had three cuts, two on right eye and one on left, as manny said during the fight speed causes cuts.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but it is not like Martinez just got lucky and caused one cut, pavlik had three cuts, two on right eye and one on left, as manny said during the fight speed causes cuts.......

not if you watch any of Pavliks fights before i dont think ive ever seen a fight where he didnt get cut on even the weakest punch he just has thin skin inhis face or something but it doesnt make much effort or speed to cut him

hurting him is a whole nother issue which he doest get hurt often

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not if you watch any of Pavliks fights before i dont think ive ever seen a fight where he didnt get cut on even the weakest punch he just has thin skin inhis face or something but it doesnt make much effort or speed to cut him

I dont remember pavlik being a bleeder.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure what he said but caught that exchange.He also gave a slight hesitant look aroung 11...almost a shrug of shoulders and turning around but most immportant thing for him and us....he didnt quit.Betting more than a few ask themselves that when odds are on them.He did himself proud and hung in with what he had.Hate to be premature but I think hes near the end at top.Shows no changes in style and not making weight says something....he/some blame Hopkins lose because he was out of weight class,and he comes in heavy here and loses to 'smaller' guy.Cant have it both ways.He was out classed on different scales in both but didnt quit..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont remember pavlik being a bleeder.

he's always been a bleeder

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik definitely threw a lot less than what we are accustomed to. That was partly because of Martinez, but also partly because of something only Pavlik knows. You can understand him going into a bit of a shell in the round the punch was caused, but Pavlik threw very little in the final 4 rounds. It was extremely frustrating to watch and it did look like a different fighter than the one we have come to expect. I also didn't know until after the fight about the issues making weight. If he had remained active after Hopkins he might not have developed these issues, but you would have to think that being drained has its own effect upon punch output.

Martinez deserves all the praise, but I do think Pavlik was somewhat below par. No excuses this time though, he was in his own weight class and his opponent was a career 154 pounder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Pavlik definitely threw a lot less than what we are accustomed to. That was partly because of Martinez, but also partly because of something only Pavlik knows. You can understand him going into a bit of a shell in the round the punch was caused, but Pavlik threw very little in the final 4 rounds. It was extremely frustrating to watch and it did look like a different fighter than the one we have come to expect. I also didn't know until after the fight about the issues making weight. If he had remained active after Hopkins he might not have developed these issues, but you would have to think that being drained has its own effect upon punch output.

Martinez deserves all the praise, but I do think Pavlik was somewhat below par. No excuses this time though, he was in his own weight class and his opponent was a career 154 pounder.
    I think it was because he used what he had in order to take those middle rounds when Martinez went into a second gear Pavlik didn't have one not to mention Martinez's punches landing on his face making him cover up so he couldn't really get off. For Pavlik to get off you have to be standing still and not moving, Martinez kept making him move.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure Martinez had the Williams fight in the back of his mind also. He really stepped it up just when he needed to and made it his fight. He took more risks, but everything was getting through likely because Pavlik was having issues with the cuts and the risk was minimised by Pavlik, like you say, not having a set target to unload upon.

You could always make excuses for Pavlik about the Hopkins fight, but this fight has shown it wasn't a one off and that Pavlik really is horribly flawed against anyone who won't remain a stationary target. His career looks to have seriously stalled. I struggle to see him handling 168 with any ease due to the quality there and if he has issues with weight then things are limited at 160 also. He mentioned the rematch clause which is fair enough and I can see the reasons for wanting to try again. But he really can't just come in and fight the same way again, it's not enough.

El Kabong Guest

Kelly Pavlik is DONE.....if he fights Paul Williams he'll get KO'd and if he moves to 168 he's going to have big trouble even from the second teir fighters.

Pavlik never was a great BOXER but I think the main thing that hurt him was his psychological state...he's a beaten man right now

Thread Information