Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will JCC jr finally put up and fight Martinez?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will JCC jr finally put up and fight Martinez?

Looks Like Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Near A Go For Sept. 15

Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr: Officially on a collision course

Will this fight happen, or will Martinez insistence on Olympic style drug testing, coupled with Chavez seeming reluctance to face Sergio, mean this match up is destined to be another casualty in the long list of fights that should have, but never happened?
    Last edited by Beanz; 04-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will JCC jr finally put up and fight Martinez?

NO!!!!
    Let me explain why. Jcc Jr next opponent will be either Vanes or Andy Lee come june or July. Both in which is going to give Jcc Jr a headache. At that point Jcc Jr promoterArum) is going to think twice about sending Jr into the jungle with Martinez. So we will hear ever excuse under the sun. Then Martinez will have talks of a fight (hopefully)against either Saul or Cotto at 154. Giving them both the rest of May to recover. So maybe a September showdown between Martinez and one of the 2 mention. Now the icing on the cake, if its Saul, Martinez will lose!!!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    NO!!!!
    Let me explain why. Jcc Jr next opponent will be either Vanes or Andy Lee come june or July. Both in which is going to give Jcc Jr a headache. At that point Jcc Jr promoterArum) is going to think twice about sending Jr into the jungle with Martinez. So we will hear ever excuse under the sun. Then Martinez will have talks of a fight (hopefully)against either Saul or Cotto at 154. Giving them both the rest of May to recover. So maybe a September showdown between Martinez and one of the 2 mention. Now the icing on the cake, if its Saul, Martinez will lose!!!
    That's all quite possible, but I wouldn't put it past Jr. to have an easier time than you expect with Lee or Vanes if one of those happens. Not sure I rate Alvarez any higher than Chavez Jr for now either, but they are both very good fighters and either could beat Martinez on a given night imo.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

given sergio's poor performances in his most recent fights, i'd say chavez jr has a good chance of defeating him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not even sure they were poor performances rather good ones by Macklin and Barker though, it's probably just the way to fight Martinez. Chavez Jr would have every against him imo, he has a great chin and digs the body very well. I don't think Martinez would've ever fought anyone as big or strong either, if he couldn't hurt Jr. he would be in very tough at the least.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez fought a guy who by all accounts should have entered that bout as a champion. I don't think anyone but Macklin and his team thought he would fight at the center of the ring and try to box martinez, to make a counter puncher be the aggressor. It really was a good fight plan. To me, the fact that Martinez had difficulty and overcame it to win by KO speaks volumes to his ability to adapt in the ring.

That being said I really think Chavez will be eating left uppercuts followed by a mean right hook all night long by the way he's always leaning forward. I have only one concern. Chavez will most likely enter a ring weighing much higher than Martinez and the lineal champ does tire in the mid rounds and yes granted he always rallys in the end, the question is what would a much bigger man be able to do in those middle rounds?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    given sergio's poor performances in his most recent fights, i'd say chavez jr has a good chance of defeating him.
    He won both by knockouts?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chavez will not fight Martinez until he has wiped all the less talented fighters in his division,
    the guy is a chicken shit , and i dont care how big he will be Martinez if he ever gets the
    chance to get in the ring with him, Martinez will school him no problem .

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We'll know for sure in the near future as the two sides have about two weeks to come to an agreement for a fight in June/July or September. If not, there will be a mandatory purse bid. Dibella stated that as long as Top Rank was willing to sign a contract for a fight in September and put money in an escrow account that Dibella can keep if the fight doesn't come off, then he is fine with the September date.

It would be great to see the winner of the Pirog/Geale fight, assuming that comes off, face the winner of the Martinez/Chavez Jr. fight at the end of the year.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by roberto duran legend View Post
    Chavez will not fight Martinez until he has wiped all the less talented fighters in his division,
    the guy is a chicken shit , and i dont care how big he will be Martinez if he ever gets the
    chance to get in the ring with him, Martinez will school him no problem .

I agree that Jr will be matched up very carefully regardless of how ready he is, and we probably won't see this fight happen this year. However; Martinez has never really schooled anyone no problem, the guy is very athletic but doesn't have the kind of skills to make an easy night of Chavez at all. It would be a really hard fight for both men, despite what you think of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

September is a long way off. I'm sure Jr will have some sort of "injury" by then. I just don't see this fight happening.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jr is bigger and stronger and may even hit harder than anyone sergio has fought...

he's not gonna lay down the way barker and macklin did.

barker and macklin didn't do anything offensively effective in their fights against martinez. they just fought a more reserved defensive style which didn't suit martinez' need for a come forward fighter. he needs someone to walk into his counter punches.

a smart and talented fighter with a strong jab, some decent defence and 12 round stamina should be able to take martinez into deep water and take him by UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jr is bigger and stronger and may even hit harder than anyone sergio has fought...

barker and macklin didn't do anything offensively effective in their fights against martinez. they just fought a more reserved defensive style which didn't suit martinez' need for a come forward fighter. he needs someone to walk into his counter punches.

a smart and talented fighter with a strong jab, some decent defence and 12 round stamina should be able to take martinez into deep water and take him by UD.
    Who is the strong talented fighter with a strong jab, decent defense, and 12 round stamina that fights at 154 or 160? Surely you don't mean Chavez Jr. He gets hit at will. If Zbik had any power he would have been laid out.

There really isn't anyone at 154 or 160 that meets that definition. 160- Sturm-done. Macklin-beaten. Chavez Jr.-walks in and eats punches to get in close. Pirog-he doesn't fight a traditional style behind the jab.

154-Cotto?
    Canelo-? His defense isn't exactly full proof.
    Vanes
    Lara
    Molina?
    Kirkland?

I don't exactly see the guy that has a strong jab in either division.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post

Who is the strong talented fighter with a strong jab, decent defense, and 12 round stamina that fights at 154 or 160? Surely you don't mean Chavez Jr. He gets hit at will. If Zbik had any power he would have been laid out.

There really isn't anyone at 154 or 160 that meets that definition. 160- Sturm-done. Macklin-beaten. Chavez Jr.-walks in and eats punches to get in close. Pirog-he doesn't fight a traditional style behind the jab.

154-Cotto?
    Canelo-? His defense isn't exactly full proof.
    Vanes
    Lara
    Molina?
    Kirkland?

I don't exactly see the guy that has a strong jab in either division.

my thoughts exactly! sergio is top dog in a poor division.

but he's an old dog who's showing signs of age... we'll see what happens in his next few fights.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergio hasn't exactly looked brilliant in his last couple of fights, but I don't see Baby Chavez fighting him just yet. Given their ages, I think Papa waits about 3 years. Sergio will be 40 and Baby will be 29. THEN he puts them together. No sense in risking the "0" before its time. Meanwhile, Baby can continue feeding on borderline bums.

Thread Information