Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather/Mosley undercard looking very strong

Volume punching Said Ouali takes on Argentine super slugger Hector David Saldivia, I can almost guarantee fireworks in this one. Ouali usually tries a Calzaghe style out work your opponent tactic, while Saldivia goes for the kill and goes for it often.

Mexico's best representation for a welterweight prospect Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez puts his all-action throw back style on display against Miguel Cotto's brother Jose Miguel Cotto. Cotto may be deficient in the size department for this fight, but he more than makes up for it with heart, his only loss was an all out war against Juan Diaz.

Another popular Mexican mainstay Daniel Ponce de Leon who doesn't know how to be in a boring fight, is stepping in against Cornelius Lock, Lock has deceptive power is dangerous for the whole fight as shown recently against Roger Gonzalez in a fight that was dead even going into the final round when he dialed in his punches and flattened Gonzalez.

The Golden Child volume puncher Danny Jacobs is also on the card as well as George Groves who has looked impressive in being the first to stop Charles Adamu.

This could be a helluva night of fights.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather/Mosley undercard looking very strong

All those fights are good fights.

However, why hasn't a single boxing undercard in recent years that I can remember had another really meaningful fight on the undercard. When Don King was in his prime he had big fight after big fight on his big cards.

It's stupid, even the UFC has multiple titles being defended on the same night semi-occasionally. Good fights with potential for good action but why not try to showcase other guys like Timothy Bradley, Lucian Bute, Devon Alexander, ect. to people who truly are only watching for the Mayweathers and Pacquiaos of the world. Why show them Alphonzo Gomez, really? They expect this fight to be the most profitable ever too. I understand it's about maximizing the money but one time I'd like them to give a co-feature more significant.

El Kabong Guest

Default Undercard for Mosley-Mayweather....

It looks pretty damn good.....

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs Jose Miguel Cotto

Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Cornelius Lock

Hector David Saldivia vs Said Ouali

....Those look like decent fights to me, what do you think?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Undercard for Mosley-Mayweather....

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ry-strong.html
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post

However, why hasn't a single boxing undercard in recent years that I can remember had another really meaningful fight on the undercard. When Don King was in his prime he had big fight after big fight on his big cards.

It's stupid, even the UFC has multiple titles being defended on the same night semi-occasionally. Good fights with potential for good action but why not try to showcase other guys like Timothy Bradley, Lucian Bute, Devon Alexander, ect. to people who truly are only watching for the Mayweathers and Pacquiaos of the world. Why show them Alphonzo Gomez, really? They expect this fight to be the most profitable ever too. I understand it's about maximizing the money but one time I'd like them to give a co-feature more significant.
    Because they maximize their revenue by having "meaningful" fights on separate PPV's

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get that but who the fuck are they kidding they are making buckoo money on this.

The fight I single out as perfect would Khan-Malignaggi would be perfect, they already have to pay Khan more money then he's worth, why not at least try to get bang for your buck and showcase him to a wider audience, the widest audience in fact. Khan-Malignaggi isn't going to make a huge impact at the gate and Khan has a ton of guaranteed money coming to him for a simple HBO defense, I wonder if this was given consideration?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get that but who the fuck are they kidding they are making buckoo money on this.

The fight I single out as perfect would Khan-Malignaggi would be perfect, they already have to pay Khan more money then he's worth, why not at least try to get bang for your buck and showcase him to a wider audience, the widest audience in fact. Khan-Malignaggi isn't going to make a huge impact at the gate and Khan has a ton of guaranteed money coming to him for a simple HBO defense, I wonder if this was given consideration?
    I agree completely as far as having other meaningful fights on the undercard and showcasing up and comers, but I really don't think Khan-Malignaggi will be a pretty fight to watch at all, it probably isn't a good pick. To the average person only paying to watch Mayweather Mosley, it isn't going to matter whether Khan is a potential future star, if he's almost certain to be in an ugly fight this time out. Bradley Maidana or something like that would have been perfect if they'd been able to work it out sooner, I doubt there would be much revenue from that fight on it's own bill anyways, certainly not nearly what Khan Paulie would take in, but it's pretty well guaranteed to be a way better watch.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather Vs Mosley undercard revealed

"Golden Boy has finalized three scheduled 10-round bouts for the televised undercard on the May 1 Shane Mosley-Floyd Mayweather HBO PPV card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mexican welterweight prospect Saul Alvarez (31-0-1, 23 KOs), 19, who recently signed with Golden Boy, will face Puerto Rico's Jose Cotto (31-1-1, 23 KOs), the brother of former two-division titlist Miguel Cotto, co-feature. Former junior featherweight titlist Daniel Ponce De Leon (38-2, 32 KOs) of Mexico meet Cornelius Lock (19-4-1, 12 KOs), a Mayweather protégé, in a featherweight fight. In the opening bout, welterweight Hector David Saldivia (33-1, 26 KOs) of Argentina faces Las Vegas-based Moroccan Said Ouali (26-3, 18 KOs)."

Jose Cotto apparently jumping from lightweight to welterweight, but his comeback is gonna be short lived Alvarez stops him early

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dammit i made the same exact thread lol

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

May be in the minority here, but the only reason this card "looks" decent is because Saul Alvarez is on it. Other than that, it fits the mold of most big ppv undercards...lackluster.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the difference though largely is the that the UFC hypes their whole card. The undercards look strong becuase they make it their business to advertise and get you interested in all of their fighters, not just the elite guys.

I mean when you watch HBO and Showtime the undercards are just treated as if they don't matter, any Countdown or 24/7 shows feature only the main event, there are no tv shows giving a back story to any of the non world champion guys and so for most people watching it's just one unknown fighter facing another unknown fighter.

The same two fighters in the UFC would get featured on the Countdown show, they would get a few minutes long intro with Joe Rogan telling how they had the best ju jitsu or striking in the whole division, and a nice highlight reel of their best wins.

In boxing they only focus on the main event and treat the undercard soley as time filler.

Even without improving the matchups they could make a huge difference to the seeming appeal of fights by actually giving preview time to them and advertising the whole card rather than just the main event.

Boxing could learn so much from the UFC.

This card is a prime example of what I mean. Of all the fighters that Killersheep mentioned I know about 3, and those even barely. That card means next to nothing to me, in fact I would say it looks like a really weak card, as I simply don't know who the fighters are. Obviously you hardcore American fans are more familiar with the names than I am and can recognise the potential of the card, but for someone who doesn't know, thanks to their policy of zero hype and advertising I would just think the undercard was a dead dog.
    Last edited by Kev; 04-16-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

May be in the minority here, but the only reason this card "looks" decent is because Saul Alvarez is on it. Other than that, it fits the mold of most big ppv undercards...lackluster.
    I disagree, Saldivia is also a very strong Welter prospect and at least on paper these should all be viewer friendly action fights. None of these fights should be walkovers. I admit that the name recognition isn't there, but the quality should be.

Thread Information