Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IF CALZAGHE LOST, WHY??? (That's for anyone who believes Joe to have lost that is)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question IF CALZAGHE LOST, WHY??? (That's for anyone who believes Joe to have lost that is)

For anybody that thought Joe Calzaghe actually lost this fight, can you help me understand your thinking as to how and why you reach that conclusion,

I really would look forward to hearing your views....

RE:On what grounds did Joe Calzaghe lose this fight, I fail to see it at all, yet neither am I gloating,

I just want to be fair to all comers and listen to any EDUCATED views as to how you came to your decision that Joe lost, if this is your serious view point...

Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IF CALZAGHE LOST, WHY??? (That's for anyone who believes Joe to have lost that is

It wasnt even all that close by the end. Hopkins was winning the fight at certain stages but thats as good as it gets for him.

Clear and obvious Calzaghe win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IF CALZAGHE LOST, WHY??? (That's for anyone who believes Joe to have lost that is

I had it for Cal by one point, he barely squeaked by IMO. He earned it mainly for the late fight rallying. I'm gonna watch it again tomorrow.

I think most that saw Bernard winning did so due to effective punching.

Much of what Joe threw in there, were meaningless punches, in a similar way to how an amateur fight is scored. I see their point, but late in the fight, Bernard was doing the exact same thing. Pitty Pat Flurries.

Neither impressed me tonight. The fight was sloppy and amateurish. Both have looked much better in the past. I know Bernard was old and fading and I am starting to wonder if Joe is also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This sums it up for me niceley

Calzaghe gets nod; Hopkins get stiffed[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]By David Douse (April 22, 200 Doghouse Boxing (Photo © German Villasenor)

Despite dropping Joe Calzaghe with a short right hand in the first round, consistently landing the harder cleaner punches throughout the fight, and in this writer’s opinion clearly dominating the style in which the battle would be fought, Bernard Hopkins came away from this much anticipated battle on the short end of a split decision.

How did this come to be? Obviously enough, two out of the three judges were sufficiently impressed by Calzaghe throwing leather at every opportunity but I have to wonder whether they were taken in by
    the massive pre-fight hype pertaining to the Welshman's alleged ability to throw a thousand punches a round and thus became a confused over what actually constitutes proper scoring shots. It is certainly true that Calzaghe let his hands go rather more than B-Hop, but I would strongly question the quality of Calzaghe's efforts and seriously dispute that he should be credited with landing point scoring punches when the bulk of his efforts were so often nothing but ineffectual slaps.

Even the judge who scored in favour of Hopkins also had it wrong in my view and personally I felt that Hopkins came away with what should have been scored as a three round margin in his favour, especially when his first round knockdown of Calzaghe is taken into account. On no occasion did Calzaghe manage to land any strong punches which had any discernible effect on the older man, whereas Hopkins’ own thudding shots clearly gave the Pride of Wales something to think about on several occasions other than the knockdown.
    I have seen criticism online of Hopkins for taking the permitted breather when he was struck low and, although the first low blow from Calzaghe was not of the worst kind (it was also clearly unintentional), it was clearly well south of the border. Hopkins was well within his rights to avail himself of the recovery period and criticising him for this makes no sense and is just plain wrong. I am convinced that those who would sneer at B-Hop for taking time to draw breath would have been absolutely screaming in outrage had it been Hopkins who had committed the foul.

Perhaps mention should also be made here of Calzaghe's crass follow-up whilst standing behind the bent over Hopkins with his jiggling hip thrusting movements clearly simulating a sex act in the most disrespectful and ugly manner and which was, to say the least, hardly what one would expect from a man who has touted himself as a ' Mr Clean’. I cannot feel that Calzaghe has in any way enhanced his reputation by this ugly display and it may be that he does not realise that it was actually himself he was demeaning by his actions.

So what now for Bernard Hopkins? I would think it highly unlikely that Calzaghe would want any part of a rematch and Hopkins probably has little to prove to himself, so I should not be at all surprised if he chose this moment to finally hang up the gloves. Regardless of his decision his legacy is assured and while he might prefer to exit on a winning note, being stiffed on a decision like this won't be the end of the world to him. He has been around far too long to not understand that wrong decisions do come to pass, and that hype in favour of one particular fighter can give a clear perceptual advantage to the recipient when it comes to decisions.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    It wasnt even all that close by the end. Hopkins was winning the fight at certain stages but thats as good as it gets for him.

Clear and obvious Calzaghe win.
    Yeah, Hopkins got dominated just like you said. Must have just been in it for the payday right Miles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Bernard won for the simple reason that..

First off.. Joe fought the fight of bernard hopkins, at the pace of bernard hopkins..

Secondly in every exchange i saw between the two where for a few seconds every couple rounds they would go at it a bit.. I didnt think joe was taking the punches well.. i thought hopkins was hurting me and i wish to god bernard had commited more i think he could have hurt joe bad eventually.. but Bernard did his thing and stuck to his game..

Also.. I dont think i saw one punch that i thought.. that hurt Bhop.. and they were slappy punches in bunches... and thats not to antagonise the Joey fans.. i took back that slappy shit after the kess fight and he puts some power on those shots THAT night.. But it was only about numbers again last saturday.. So i almost didnt even really count his punches as i considered them to no affect considering bernard had the ring generalship.. the defense, counters and was hitting joe cleaner and harder then joe was hitting him..

But the main thing was.. Joe fought Bhops fight and Still made it challenging.. but i thought Bhop won.. Just barely.. And when its scores of those kinda (Aside from that 116 bullshit) You never really mind who wins.. but it wasnt particularly entertaining.. and i never expected the decision for one minute to be given to joey c..
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bambamdaddio View Post
    For anybody that thought Joe Calzaghe actually lost this fight, can you help me understand your thinking as to how and why you reach that conclusion,

RE:On what grounds did Joe Calzaghe lose this fight, I fail to see it at all, yet neither am I gloating,

I just want to be fair to all comers and listen to any EDUCATED views as to how you came to your decision that Joe lost, if this is your serious view point...

Hopkins scored the only knock down. And landed the harder punches through out the whole fight. I can't remember one punch from Calzaghe that was even note worthy. Besides his punch to the balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Hopkins scored the only knock down. And landed the harder punches through out the whole fight. I can't remember one punch from Calzaghe that was even note worthy. Besides his punch to the balls.
    And that butt love he tried to do on Hopkins. Calzaghe is the best fighter in the gay community.Hopkins hurt him three or four times. Joe's pride got in the way of him answering that right. Hopkins was really in any trouble by the pitter patter at any point. If I was Calzaghe I would not want to go down with being known as a fighter who fights has beens. He needs to take Jermaine Taylor who is a great adaptive fighter and has good power. If not him Pavlik. Kessler is a clearly a overrated fighter. Then who has he fought......Bika, Manfredo and Lacy. I would want more respect than that on my record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Still he was a lazy, fight spoiling bastard, he lost the fight with that and his play acting (almost as bad as Floyd, this ain't WWF) Also you were wrong, again

HA, HA, FUCKING HA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hopkins controled the tempo for most part, even in the later rounds were people seem to have scored the fight for calzaghe i saw b-hop walking around and land the better shots, hopkins never once looked like being knocked down, knocked out or stopped. he floored joe in the first, rocked him right at the end of the 5th ( had there been another 5 seconds in the round and hopkins hit him with even a half decent shot he would have gone down again )

calzaghe didnt look as forcefull as in other fights, he never looked comfortable in the fight, his showboating was from frustration and in hope of winning over judges, yes he threw more ( but not as many as stated ) yes it looks like he landed more ( not as many as stated ) he maybe touched hopkins more is more the case..............you can't win fights with pita patter

every fighter gets a points win he shouldn't have........this was one of calzaghes.......his coments after the fight that he was about to stop hopkins just before the low blow was pathetic, to me that shows how suprised he is that he won the fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because the first half of the fight Bernard was winning most rounds by landing shots while Calzaghe wasn't landing hardly anything... Even down the stretch in the rounds that Calzaghe won could have largely gone either way just because even though Calzaghe was busier, in most rounds Bernard still was the more accurate fighter. The punches Calzaghe did land weren't real punches, while Bernard was landing crisp punches all night. Only about 4 rounds in that fight went clearly for either Bernard or Joe so I don't see how people can't see this fight going either way.

If anything I was surprised Calzaghe got so much recognition because he wasn't able to do anything against a guy who is 43... I saw Winky landing far better punches on B-Hop than Cal did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NUCLEAR BULL View Post
    hopkins controled the tempo for most part, even in the later rounds were people seem to have scored the fight for calzaghe i saw b-hop walking around and land the better shots, hopkins never once looked like being knocked down, knocked out or stopped. he floored joe in the first, rocked him right at the end of the 5th ( had there been another 5 seconds in the round and hopkins hit him with even a half decent shot he would have gone down again )

calzaghe didnt look as forcefull as in other fights, he never looked comfortable in the fight, his showboating was from frustration and in hope of winning over judges, yes he threw more ( but not as many as stated ) yes it looks like he landed more ( not as many as stated ) he maybe touched hopkins more is more the case..............you can't win fights with pita patter

every fighter gets a points win he shouldn't have........this was one of calzaghes.......his coments after the fight that he was about to stop hopkins just before the low blow was pathetic, to me that shows how suprised he is that he won the fight
    You don't need to look like your going to be knocked down, knocked out or stopped to lose a fight. Joe looked worse because he was getting hugges to death. Hopkins looked like a stupid twat with the low blows, how the fuck can you say any different? Think he was in that much pain? Play acting pillock made himself look pathetic.

Fans are just as sore losers as Hopkins is.
    Last edited by Kel; 04-23-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post

Because the first half of the fight Bernard was winning most rounds by landing shots while Calzaghe wasn't landing hardly anything...
    I stopped at there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont get these claims that cortez was letting hopkins get away with shit

most of the clinching was initiated from calzaghes sloppy girl punching style, he would lunge in and hopkins would evade his punches causing calzaghe to spastically throw shots and end up being tangled with hopkins

they both utilized headlocks

a low blow is an illegal maneuver even if it doesnt hit u dead on in the balls so if he wanted to be a dick he could have easily deducted points from calzaghe

-----------------------

anyway calzaghe barely landed anything in that fight, the majority of the shots he threw hit hopkins in the arms/back or missed him completely

when he did land he was ineffective

each time he decided to trade hopkins would get off at least 1 hard shot and calzaghe would rethink trading

he really did look like an amateur in that fight

even if for whatever re3ason u think calzaghe won that fight u have to be able to understand why people feel he looked like an amateur, he was INCREDIBLY sloppy and was countered a huge amount of times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good win by Calzaghe...

Good but not great.

Thread Information