Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you make an effort to create *new* boxing fans...?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do you make an effort to create *new* boxing fans...?

...by hosting a group to watch a fight and inviting people that are curious or don't know anything about the sport?

...what other things do you do to help along a new / potentially new fan?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do you make an effort to create *new* boxing fans...?

I've tried. People are so fucking stupid, though.

Maybe someday I'll come across some dudes who are intelligent enough to display interest in something other than themselves.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've basically given up on the notion that I can get new people into the sport. I've done the PPV hosting thing, paid for it all myself provided food and alcohol. I have a few friends that enjoy the fights, but I haven't experienced someone who never was into boxing suddenly enjoying it. For the most part, my boxing parties end up with most people in the kitchen just having a good time.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always try to get people into boxing I order fights, I talk about it tell people things I know about the sport I even go as far as showing people basic things about boxing with mitts and shadow boxing or sparring. but to get people to be fans its pretty difficult people just want to see knockouts not an entire fight Or they're just into other sports.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, they need to be taught the basic skills and how the game works before they even begin to understand it at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    To be honest, they need to be taught the basic skills and how the game works before they even begin to understand it at all.
    That's a good point.

If anyone shows the slightest interest I've tried to encourage it. Sometimes I try and explain how the sport has been around so very long, and talk about historical olympic games. Sometimes I try and explain that there is more to it than it might seem. The response I never know what to do with is when someone dismisses it in a clearly judgmental way as just way too violent. (Any sport is violent! It's just more hidden in most other sports.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with you guys above. You can't get someone into boxing you can introduce them to the sport, if someone is interested they'll become a fan themselves.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    I agree with you guys above. You can't get someone into boxing you can introduce them to the sport, if someone is interested they'll become a fan themselves.
    Exactly this. Having been on both sides of the fence I can say this is true.

I hated boxing and remember how offended I used to get when a couple of my friends would stay in on fight night instead of coming out on the pull at some lame club.."You'd rather stay home and watch 2 half naked men fight??", was the dumb response I gave them..(ahh to be young and dumb!)

I was introduced to the sport by a guy called Marshall (trainer at Angel amateur boxing club) when I was a Personal Trainer at Virgin Active. His passion for the sport was so infectious..he did pads with me which I loved and then I just researched to high heaven about boxing.

I'd say within a month or two I was more knowledgable than the two friends who were supposed to be hardcore fans. I was telling them about fighters they had never even heard of.

So I can tell you from experience. I hated boxing until the age of 22 - from then on I've been in love with it. The change can happen!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by elcolibri View Post
    ...by hosting a group to watch a fight and inviting people that are curious or don't know anything about the sport?

Fuck no. Ain't my job to get people into it. If anything the stupidity of some of there questions makes me want to choke them out.

Why he wearing yellow gloves and not red like everybody else?

Cuz he wants to. No rule says they have to be red.

But there yellow. Why he pick yellow?

What difference does it make? There fucking gloves

Well I don't like yellow. And i hope he loses

I doubt he cares. And he ain't losing

OMG he's wearing yellow shorts too

Get out. Get the fuck out bitch.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolibri View Post

Fuck no. Ain't my job to get people into it. If anything the stupidity of some of there questions makes me want to choke them out.

Why he wearing yellow gloves and not red like everybody else?

Cuz he wants to. No rule says they have to be red.

But there yellow. Why he pick yellow?

What difference does it make? There fucking gloves

Well I don't like yellow. And i hope he loses

I doubt he cares. And he ain't losing

OMG he's wearing yellow shorts too

Get out. Get the fuck out bitch.
    hahaha
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Used to have get togethers but got tired of fools yelling "Just hit him....man if I was in there I'd be hitting his ass" Also I can't stand people drunk yelling at the tube...I need to concentrate People are attracted for different reasons and you have to consider who your talking to so as to not run on and on only to make their eyes glaze over...bore em to death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Exactly this. Having been on both sides of the fence I can say this is true.

I hated boxing and remember how offended I used to get when a couple of my friends would stay in on fight night instead of coming out on the pull at some lame club.."You'd rather stay home and watch 2 half naked men fight??", was the dumb response I gave them..(ahh to be young and dumb!)

I was introduced to the sport by a guy called Marshall (trainer at Angel amateur boxing club) when I was a Personal Trainer at Virgin Active. His passion for the sport was so infectious..he did pads with me which I loved and then I just researched to high heaven about boxing.

I'd say within a month or two I was more knowledgable than the two friends who were supposed to be hardcore fans. I was telling them about fighters they had never even heard of.

So I can tell you from experience. I hated boxing until the age of 22 - from then on I've been in love with it. The change can happen!

A bit of an open mind is necessary to get into the sport. I'd like to see more guys open to change like that.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find that just being enthusiastic about boxing, in places such as work, tends to draw in people who may not be big boxing fans... but the enthusiasm rubs off on them a little bit. I also helps when a local fighter is rising through the ranks. People tend to follow boxing that much more. At work, people know that if they get me talking about boxing, I can go on for hours. So many times they seek me out before a big fight. It may not exactly bring in new fans, but it helps to keep the interest of the existing fans.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, not any more. I used to, but honestly the sport has been slowly driving me away since I started watching. Objectively, I think it's rife with corruption to the point where it is basically a step away from WWE. I have no desire to be an ambassador for that kind of institution.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I find that just being enthusiastic about boxing, in places such as work, tends to draw in people who may not be big boxing fans... but the enthusiasm rubs off on them a little bit. I also helps when a local fighter is rising through the ranks. People tend to follow boxing that much more. At work, people know that if they get me talking about boxing, I can go on for hours. So many times they seek me out before a big fight. It may not exactly bring in new fans, but it helps to keep the interest of the existing fans.
    That's something that's difficult for me, the local fighter angle. We haven't had a live body since Carbajal. Ernie Gonzalez has promise, but injuries and sickness made him wither into obscurity.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information