Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao vs Cotto

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pacquiao vs Cotto

Who wins this one guys?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao vs Cotto

Boxing fans win with this fight. Another spectacular matchup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But who you voting for?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't really wanna commit my opinion so soon as im still trying to figure it all out but im going with Cotto by a slow brutal knock out.

I fully understand Cotto is open to the left hand, susceptible to the southpaw style and not favourable against fighters with good movement. However, in Cotto, Pacquiao is facing someone who possesses more heart, skill, size & power combined than what Pacquiao has seen since the 2nd Marquez fight... at Super feather weight.

Now to flip that on it's head... Cotto is facing someone who im pretty sure he knows he can hurt. And of course i mean really hurt. And for me that is key to Cotto's mentality.

Cotto has faced some big guy's lately and in those fights, had to conceed that thing that made him look like such a killer. All that movement and flurying is kinda new to see... Okay it looked impressive to see Cotto outboxing Mosley/ Margarito/ Clottey but he ended up giving ground against Mosley/ Clottey and basically hit the canvas running against Maragito.

But against Pacquiao, im sure we'll see the Cotto who dared to flirt with disaster a little just to get at his man in more ways than one.

I'll say that this wont be the finest bit of boxing by Cotto, but he will break Pacquiao in one of the most typically Cotto-esque performances to date.
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 09-04-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone know if this fight will be on closed circuit TV anywhere in Vegas?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I picked Cotto. My only disclaimer is that I want to see how focused Pacquiao is in training. So far, Pacquiao looks very unfocused. Has a location for training even been picked yet?

The reason I picked Cotto is because Cotto will be the biggest puncher Pacquiao has faced in well maybe ever. When ODLH hit Pacquiao all of three times in their fight, Pacquiao visibly felt the punches. Cotto should be even stronger and should hit harder. He won't be weight drained because the fight is at 145. Lesser punchers have put Pacquaio down.

The people who are picking Pacquiao will point to the abuse Cotto took in his recent performances against Clottey and Margarito; and, there is undeniable merit to that argument. In addition, Cotto was cut badly in both those fights. Pacquiao may get to him if he can cut him up. Pacquiao also may be faster than anyone Cotto's faced and Pacquiao is coming off of two huge wins.

I've read places that Cotto's weakness is that he can't fight moving backward. But, will Pacquiao even fight him that way? Won't he fight him darting in-and-out? Will that be as effective? Where does Pacquiao's power stand when compared with Clottey and Margarito?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 09-04-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I picked Cotto. My only disclaimer is that I want to see how focused Pacquiao is in training. So far, Pacquiao looks very unfocused. Has a location for training even been picked yet?

The reason I picked Cotto is because Cotto will be the biggest puncher Pacquiao has faced in well maybe ever. When ODLH hit Pacquiao all of three times in their fight, Pacquiao visibly felt the punches. Cotto should be even stronger and should hit harder. He won't be weight drained because the fight is at 145. Lesser punchers have put Pacquaio down.

The people who are picking Pacquiao will point to the abuse Cotto took in his recent performances against Clottey and Margarito; and, there is undeniable merit to that argument. In addition, Cotto was cut badly in both those fights. Pacquiao may get to him if he can cut him up. Pacquiao also may be faster than anyone Cotto's faced and Pacquiao is coming off of two huge wins.

I've read places that Cotto's weakness is that he can't fight moving backward. But, will Pacquiao even fight him that way? Won't he fight him darting in-and-out? Will that be as effective? Where does Pacquiao's power stand when compared with Clottey and Margarito?

Not me I am picking Pacquaio on boxing ability. Nobody has ever been able to do it except Mosley IMO. Pacquiao is at his peak and I think Cotto is on the downward slope. Funny I thought Pac-Man was on the downward slope when he was going to fight Marquez but he has really gotten better and better with each fight.

But then again it could be the other way around. Pacquaio has fought an old De La Hoya and a pretty easy to hit Ricky Hatton. Both guy's were perfect matches for Pac at the time. I could see him wilting under the pressure of Cotto.

This was a tough desicion but I think Pac-Man will pull out the win in a desicion.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto will knockout the ugly little pug within 8 rounds. Manny is heading towards a thrashing and it has been a long time coming. I will be glad to see this time finally arrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as i like Cotto an his style (Not as much as Diane lol) i think he wont be able to handle Pacs power and swarmin combinations.
    Pac 11 round TKO.
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Pacquiao is doesn't win this by a later round KO, it will be by decision. Cotto is tough but I think he is going to over train. His early showing in the gym makes it evident that like De La Hoya he is too concerned about making weight. He won't be dehydrated but he'll come in lighter than expected when he steps into the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I picked Pacquiao for having an enormous success which have "seemingly" been unimpeded at the moment, and he has shown a tremendous continued improvement as of late.

Having said that, Cotto is by no means a walk in the park. The guy is all warrior written all over him.

This will be a true testament for both fighters, win or lose, of course with a stiff bearing with the manner by which they have fought, and qualified themselves.

I have now apprehensions since, about Pacquiao's chances of winning, at the present turn of events tho'. It disturbs me that turmoil that has now engulfed the Pacquiao camp! Big Time!

There is not even a semblance of organization in Pacquiao's preparations for the Cotto encounter, at this point in time. He has not even spoken to Freddie, even to just have offered his condolences at the passing of Freddie Roaches' youngest brother Joey!

Freddie Roach is fuming, altho not admittedly this insensitivity is one, and likewise, Mr Trainer of the Year, has been shut out from any verbal correspondences with Manny!

It has reached at an alarming point, fellas!

Roach has even threatened to quit altogether! He apparently has issues with Michael Koncz, widely known as Arum's asset in the Pacquiao camp, masquerading as the team's spokesman of some sort.

Michael and Atty. Gacal, have given more priority on the money side of things that have strapped the equivalent, "effort and hardwork" side to the equation of their success!

There is also a huge divide as to where the initial camp is to be set-up, before the Wild Card Gym's, for the finishing touches.

For tax purposes, that disallows Manny from over staying in the US without being taxed royally, the Pac camp can only have three more weeks of stay in the US without incurring the said tax penalties, hence the need for an initial site for camp.

Freddies choice is Tolucca mountians in Mexico, other choices are the Bahamas, and Canada. Pacquiao however, is insisting to stay in the Philippines in Baguio. There is danger here. Last time he trained in the Philippines, he had a hard time come that evening date with destiny!

I hope this is JUST all Hollywood... JUST HYPE if you will, from the camp of Manny Pacquiao, because otherwise...come fight night, he will be in deep sheeet!

I guess, from a business standpoint, one worry is for the upcoming JMM-PBF tiff on the 19th of this month to hog all the wires and presses too much and obliterate a drumming of interest, or build-up, for their own fight on Novenber 14th!

I would not put it past Father Bob Arum to be naive and fumble on a good move with this angle...not a bit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao's speed and elusiveness is going to give Cotto trouble. While Cotto countered Mosleys speed with timing, it's not going to work that way with Pacquiao, who has better footwork and will constantly be darting around before and after punching.

Pac's got a solid chin and Cotto has become less of a body banger in recent fights. If Cotto mistakenly tries to head hunt the smaller Pacquiao I strongly favor Pacquiao to win. Cotto has power, but not one punch KO power. He has got to target Manny's body for the first half of the fight. His hands are heaviest when throwing low.

Manny has enough sting in his punches to keep Cotto from bullying him, and will frustrate Cotto at times by landing a couple punches and when Cotto tries to counter Pacquiao is already gone.

I don't have a favorite between them. I like both guys. But Manny is on a roll, so I favor him to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having fun Miles, at my expense? Nobody can stop you from doing so... except decency. At your service Sir MILES!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Neg rep ay?

Unlucky mate
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post
    Neg rep ay?

Unlucky mate
    What can I say? Sometimes, the young ones need more models than critics. It is all cool... growing pains for an old man, is all it is.

Thread Information