Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Something I noticed about breathing: Filling the gas tank?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Something I noticed about breathing: Filling the gas tank?

Firstly I'd like to point out I'm aware you're meant to exhale at the end of every punch through the nose, something I always strive to do. I am also aware of breathing with the intention of not getting gassed.

Okay so recently during sparring they've had some guys from another club for us to train with, since a group of us have some amateur fights coming up. (Or I did until my nose went pop.) Session before last nights, I sparred this guy and had my backside kicked. I felt like I wasn't able to fire any punches off, not even a simple jab. I felt so tight and tense, and this guy picked me apart.

Last night again I was doing awesome until I got to this guy, and again I wasn't able to do a thing. He had me cornered a ton of times, and rather than throwing out ANYTHING it'd feel as if I was just waiting for him to attack me. Toward the end of the round I came back slightly, and suddenly I was conscious that I was breathing.

In hindsight I was since realized I was so unconfident against him I was all tight and not breathing, I was so intimidated by him in the ring I was holding my air in rather than breathing, which is why I couldn't fire any punches off.

The main point of this post if the above seems too much for you to bother reading

In my observation I've decided that comparing breathing to firing off punches, is the same as comparing gas in an engine. By breathing I am not just relaxing, but I am filling my gas tank with air so that I can fire off punches at my target? Despite realizing this I'd like some confirmation from one of the more experienced people here. I usually just lurk this place, but this is something I'd like to ask and have someone expand upon it.

So yes, without breathing you can't fire any punches, because you have no energy to fire them off from? Is that right? Breathing enables you to be able to pull the trigger?
    Last edited by BiritshFist; 10-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Something I noticed about breathing: Filling the gas tank?

You do realise British is spelt British don't you?
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BiritshFist View Post
    Firstly I'd like to point out I'm aware you're meant to exhale at the end of every punch through the nose, something I always strive to do. I am also aware of breathing with the intention of not getting gassed.

Okay so recently during sparring they've had some guys from another club for us to train with, since a group of us have some amateur fights coming up. (Or I did until my nose went pop.) Session before last nights, I sparred this guy and had my backside kicked. I felt like I wasn't able to fire any punches off, not even a simple jab. I felt so tight and tense, and this guy picked me apart.

Last night again I was doing awesome until I got to this guy, and again I wasn't able to do a thing. He had me cornered a ton of times, and rather than throwing out ANYTHING it'd feel as if I was just waiting for him to attack me. Toward the end of the round I came back slightly, and suddenly I was conscious that I was breathing.

In hindsight I was since realized I was so unconfident against him I was all tight and not breathing, I was so intimidated by him in the ring I was holding my air in rather than breathing, which is why I couldn't fire any punches off.

The main point of this post if the above seems too much for you to bother reading

In my observation I've decided that comparing breathing to firing off punches, is the same as comparing gas in an engine. By breathing I am not just relaxing, but I am filling my gas tank with air so that I can fire off punches at my target? Despite realizing this I'd like some confirmation from one of the more experienced people here. I usually just lurk this place, but this is something I'd like to ask and have someone expand upon it.

So yes, without breathing you can't fire any punches, because you have no energy to fire them off from? Is that right? Breathing enables you to be able to pull the trigger?
    Yeah I see the link, trapped and holding your breath compared with move out breath and fire.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its so crucial to breathe properly, your energy goes kapput if your not getting enough oxygen. Deep breaths help so much for endurance,I know its silly but in the heat of the moment sometimes you forget the little things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by koppas View Post
    You do realise British is spelt British don't you?

Oh god, worst typo error ever. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

And I got a gym show today, feeling a bit nervous about stuff and forgetting to breathe is my biggest worry at the minute.

That and the fact my nose feels mashed, worried that if I get a good shot to it then it'll break. We'll be wearing headguards but they won't do much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My match today, I was the one in the shorts named "Tinker" or "Craig", landed a huge hook at the start.

I was right about the breathing, problem was this I did no running or condition work because I didn't think I'd be fighting, on top of that I drink alot and had been smoking alot lately.

Trainers said I won the first round, half way through the second I gassed and couldn't throw anything back. By the time the third round came I couldn't even keep my stance, let alot throw any punches back, I was exhausted. If I hadn't of gassed I could of won, taught me a valuable lesson about being in condition.

As for my nose, broke it friday and it popped end of first round. Fought my heart out though, right until the end I kept pushing it. Just wish I had been in shape, massively rusty and i was in the worst condition I've been in for a long time.
    Last edited by BiritshFist; 10-03-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You got him with a type of swing or reaching type hook at the start, a flying left front kick would have had him nailed as he went back. You know when you bridge the gap with your rear foot then take off on the rear and fly after them with your lead foot .You can cover alot of ground doing that and after a hit is the only time you'll get away with such a committed move.

What did the ref say to you immediately after you tagged him? Im wondering why he stopped you right then

What rules are you fighting to?
    Just wondering if you can take the rear leg out when you catch a kick. Same initial move as above but mid sweep with lead leg as your lead arm takes his upper torso the opposite way to the leg sweep.

I had you winning more than just the first. Like you say though you would of had it in the bag if you'd fought the last as you did the first.

Did you get him in the clackers in the second round? great counter. You have some good natural reactions.

First fight you say, how long have you been in training?.

You have natural talent get deadly serious now and make something out of what you have or you'll just go along being 50/50.
    Make a choice about what you want and commit to it.
    Last edited by Andre; 10-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did boxing for a year, then went to karate for 2 months before going to kickboxing, all in all I started training overall just over 2 years ago. The boxing club I never had much of a chance to do alot of sparring and it wasn't so great of a place to train, the karate wasn't tough enough, too much light contact touch sparring and rubbish.

This was my first fight, and since it was only at a gym show the rules were pretty much don't knock each other out, hence why he stopped me everytime I had the guy rocked. I wasn't intentionally trying to knock the guy out, it was just happening. Other guy had 4 fights behind him and apparently he had a weight advantage too, it was my own fault though for being too naive and not doing any conditioning. Never touching a cigarette again after what it cost me, and now I understand how important stamina and conditioning is.

Oh and the kick in the second round was to the body, we all weren't sure but it turned out it was a body kick that dropped him. Proud
    Last edited by BiritshFist; 10-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.

expertboxing Guest

Great video. I'm amazed at how small the gloves looked.

Thread Information