Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, Tyson, & Foreman are the Top 5 HW's in the 90's, who's #6?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, Tyson, & Foreman are the Top 5 HW's in the 90's, who's #6?

It's hard to argue against them being top 5 in totality for that decade.

Who would be your clear-cut number 6?

Moorer? Cooper? Mercer? Ruddock? Peter McNeeley?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, Tyson, & Foreman are the Top 5 HW's in the 90's, who's

Mcneely been thinking and dragging up records, it would be pretty tough to rank the next 6-10, there just wasn’t anyone consistent or that accomplished, bunch of guys with talent but one big win,mostly all interchangeable. Moorer of the ones you named would be in there, not sure about any of the others... Do you give credit for valiant losses? you could put foreman somewhere just for the one big punch(I thought he beat Briggs but was very lucky to get nods over Stewart and Schulz).. maybe tua and ike? Came on in the later half of the 90s, but between their fight, Ike having tua and Byrd wins, Tua beat a handful of guys who went on to be decent contenders after the 90s. McCall?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, Tyson, & Foreman are the Top 5 HW's in the 90's, who's

Not sure i'd rate old Geroge no.5. The top four were standouts but the old boy lost to Morrison and got lucky against Shultz.

Morrison
    McCall
    Golota
    Bruno
    Tucker
    Hide
    Akinwande

to add to the others.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I was debating that too. Morrison well beat foreman but in a pretty bad fight, and that’s really all he ever did, aside from being in a couple fun fights at journeyman level. His losses were real bad. foreman’s win over moorer, valiant effort against Holyfield, and lasting 12 in his other notable fights as well as being unlucky against Briggs, I’d still rank him higher. You could probably wager that most of the guys we’ve named between us would’ve beaten Morrison, certainly could have at least. Just goes to show that when you’ve got a few hws who are really great and some decent contenders, it’s a golden era.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I had to name a 6th it would be Moorer because he beat Holyfield.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not one of the main men but I always rated Mercer
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If I had to name a 6th it would be Moorer because he beat Holyfield.
    Moorer would be my #6 as well. He declined significantly after Evander stopped him in the rematch, but he was a top guy until that point. Mercer and Tim Witherspoon were similar to me because their lack of discipline negated their talent, which was top notch. For my 6-10 I would rank them as:

6. Moorer
    7. Morrison
    8. McCall
    9. Mercer
    10. Herbie Hide

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Not sure i'd rate old Geroge no.5. The top four were standouts but the old boy lost to Morrison and got lucky against Shultz.

Morrison
    McCall
    Golota
    Bruno
    Tucker
    Hide
    Akinwande

to add to the others.
    I knew it would not be anymore than 4 posts before someone pulls Morrison out of their asses. smh... Like Mercer had not raped him; and as if Moorer was a nobody?!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Larry Holmes went 19(6 KO)-3 in the 1990's with some really good wins beating Mercer with relative ease...sure he lost to Holyfield, Neilsen, and McCall but they were all in their primes.

Ray Mercer is a good call, but he like many others in the era suffered from inconsistencies he walloped Tommy Morrison but lost to Larry Holmes, he fought Lennox and Evander very close though.

Tommy Morrison he had good fights and big wins, but also horrible losses in the 90's.

Michael Moorer his entire career came and went in the 90's dizzying heights and devastating lows.

Buster Douglas he beat Mike Tyson which automatically ranks him up there. He may have been a one hit wonder but shit it's a hell of a tune to KO undefeated undisputed heavyweight champion of the World Mike Tyson.

I'd give the nod to Holmes based on the win over Mercer who obviously was a hell of a fighter, maybe Moorer next, then Mercer, then Morrison, then Douglas.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next question. Of the fighters at 6 - 10, who wouldn't have gotten their faces caved in by AJ or Wilder or been lead a merry dance by Fury? If you've got McCall in there he'll see the final bell unless his hinges become unpinned, I'll give you that, but win? Bruno? Anybody think Big Frank has a prayer against any of them? Hide?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Next question. Of the fighters at 6 - 10, who wouldn't have gotten their faces caved in by AJ or Wilder or been lead a merry dance by Fury? If you've got McCall in there he'll see the final bell unless his hinges become unpinned, I'll give you that, but win? Bruno? Anybody think Big Frank has a prayer against any of them? Hide?
    Tough question as we know how the careers panned out of the 90's fighters. Will Fury stay mentally stable, will Wilder learn how to box, does AJ have stamina/chin issues?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Tough question as we know how the careers panned out of the 90's fighters. Will Fury stay mentally stable, will Wilder learn how to box, does AJ have stamina/chin issues?
    As of right now, with no further career development or decline, does Frank Bruno beat AJ, Wilder or Fury? Personally, the answer is an easy no. AJ and Wilder bludgeon Frank and he'd barely be able to smell Fury let alone see or hit him.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing against Frank of course. I just find it funny how 'today's heavyweights are a joke.....couldn't live with the one's of the 90's' What they mean of course is they couldn't beat a prime Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield.

You hear it all the time, and it's nonsense.

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

Again Larry Holmes

I think depending on the night Morrison, Mercer, and Moorer would have done quite well vs all of them. Would they win? Maybe. Would they get stomped? Maybe. Mercer wouldn't be stopped by AJ or Wilder FACT....Wlad hammered the shit out of a 40 year old Ray Mercer and it still took him 6 rounds. AJ & Wilder wouldn't have done jack crap to him in his prime...maybe won a decision but it wouldn't be easy. Fury would have danced to a decision win I suppose, but hey maybe he gets caught, he's been caught now it's only going to happen more often now.

Would have been fun to see Golota cup check Fury though.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mercer v AJ/Wilder would be a good test for the power punchers stamina against a solid chin.

Fury does not hit hard enough to worry any of the others but I do not think they could outbox him.

Thread Information