Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default NXTGEN Boxing SKYACTIONHD Card

About to start on SKY channel 507

Buatsi, Okokie etc
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NXTGEN Boxing SKYACTIONHD Card

Connor Benn also on the York Hall card starts at 7:45 GMT
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okolie needs to calm down

He's gonna get koed
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Okolie needs to calm down

He's gonna get koed
    He has got things to learn
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have I missed this?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I listen/read modern boxing fans constantly whinging about these prospects, my favourite being - "They shouldn't be on TV." What? I've always enjoyed watching prospects come through, the notion they shouldn't be televised is totally baffling to me? Why do they not want to watch boxing? Anyone that remembers boxing before the internet knows these prospect knockover job fights (Hatton, Murray, Gomez, Farnell, etc) used to prop up the main events.

Anyway, that's me rant..
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-04-2017 at 11:30 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Connor Benn is really improving from the wild dad wannabe that first started out. If I ignore his name/hype he's an impressive young fighter with eye-catching speed/power. He kept looking for the basic one-two throughout the first round which eventually paid off and has clearly been watching boxers (Loma/Crawford) instead of tear-up merchants.

Tedster Cheeseman is clearly heavy-handed - his opponent quickly wanted out - and without the hype of the other Matchroom prospects is cruising along under the radar but looks really solid.

Okolie has a touch of the Atomic Windmill about him. Clearly has big power but is so open and gangly he needs to seriously tighten up, especially at this weight which is full of east euro killers.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fenners I think the problem is when you have PPV's which have several prospects and Katie Taylor before the main event and nothing else.

I don't mind then getting a run out in front of a big crowd every now and again but wheeling them out each time there is a PPV kind of leaves people asking for big domestic fights rather than several kids sparking bums in the first round.

I'm pissed off that I had to miss this card because I would quite watching something that is promoted as NXTGEN and having a full night of the youngsters.

I think that it is probably better for their careers as well, promote their cards as NXTGEN and people won't be quite as impatient when it comes to their competition.

P.S. Teddie Cheeseman is still my hero

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed the card, I hope they keep showing the prospects on cards of their own

and on a slightly different note I miss prizefighter , do they not do that no more?

all the prospects looked really good, I'm not sure about Jake Ball tho, he fights with his chin so far forward, there doesn't seem to be any centre of gravity

I think he will be KOed again pretty soon unless a leans back a bit, or doesn't lean so far forward at least
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Connor Benn looked really good and if he keeps developing his boxing skills he's gonna be a world champion.
    He's got warrior in his DNA plus he's got KO power which makes him a potent force.
    Buatsi looked good and took his time working the guy over.
    Looked a mature fighter.
    Some brilliant talent amongst this new wave of young British fighters and not just the matchroom fighters but also Warrens fighters too.
    Yarde might be the pick of the bunch for me

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I missed this card, last time I saw Connor Benn he was wild and raw, although he looked impressive against Mike Cole.

Seems he is getting better and better each time.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...t-at-york-hall

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this a great idea. All the prospects on one card. I find nothing better than watching someone come through from their first fight and think to yourself, "he's gonna go all the way." And you have to admit it's pretty satisfying when they prove you right. The one I feel about from this stack of guys is Joe Cordina.
    He looks quality . Technically very good and very skilful . It's always these types that progress to the top, and the tear up merchants usually are fantastic to watch , but hit a bollard and aren't the same afterwards.
    Of course, there are exceptions, and Nigel Benn was a big example . Talking of which, I agree that Conor Benn is getting better and better and more polished. He also seems to have quite a mature head on his shoulders and is very articulate .
    There was a tiny rumour a while back on here that maybe he was going the wrong way outside the ring. I hope and believe that isn't the case.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I think this a great idea. All the prospects on one card.
    Its exactly what BoxNation used to do, you would often have cards with BJS, Skeete, Buglioni, Mitchell Smith etc

I prefer watching a night of prospects rather than having them making up the numbers on PPV or massive cards.

And as I say I reckon it is better for them as well because it takes the pressure off them as fans won't be clamoring to see them up the competition to early in their career.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hear you batman but I was listening to "fans" complaining about this show, so the promoter can't win? Put them on big bills people complain, give them their own show people complain. I agree these shows are preferable.

As for the PPV thingy - I agree PPV's should have as many proper "title" fights as possible but the only time a prospect has gone on before the main event is when they've been used as a "float" (that means the boxers aren't given a specific time to fight, so step in when the fights end unexpectedly early to stop the crowd from kicking off through boredom).

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Might as well make this the official NXTGEN thread I reckon

Did anyone catch the card on Sky Sports last night? I didn't see all of it.

Harlem Eubank won on points, I didn't pay that much attention to him but he didn't look great, I can't imagine him going to do much.

Cunningham v Bellotti - Bellotti started far too fast and looked as though the pace would get too much for him but Cunningham didn't capitalize on it and was standing off him in the early parts of the rounds, Belloti dropped Cunningham and the ref jumped in and stopped it after he took some pretty fucking nasty digs to the face.

My current favourite fighter in the world was fighting and well, old Cheesehead, Teddy Cheeseman was in against some big dude who took the fight on short notice, Teddy picked his shots well, and broke the other dude down and stopped him.

I said it earlier in this thread, these nights are great for the youngsters, its all well and good sticking them on a PPV undercard where they fight in an 80,000 capacity venue in front of 30 people who are messing on their phones, the atmosphere at York Hall sounded fantastic last night, it must feel better for these kids to be slugging it out in a packed venue with people who are actually interested in watching them.

Thread Information