Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: General Questions, Speedbag, Heavybag.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default General Questions, Speedbag, Heavybag.

Aye guys I been getting abit better at the speed bag, but I figured I would ask more questions to make sure I've got this right. When hitting the speed bag ya' should keep your elbows up, and use the wrist mostly to move the bag or what? How high should the bag be? Level to my head?

With the Heavy bag, what is the goal (besides working on form and so forth) I have a 100lb bag and I get it moving pretty easy... should I hit the bag when its moving away, when its in the center... coming toward me? Side-step the bag and keep at it or what? Abit confused... for the most part I've been trying to get the form down... but moving that 100lb bag is getting easy. I want to make sure I've got things correct.

Now onto skipping with the rope... anyone care to go into detail on the proper way to do it?

I've yet to really get involved in the rope.

Along with that heres my last question... I used to be a lifter, but I recently started running again... and HOLY HELL do I get some insane shine-splits... is there anyway to avoid this? (I get them from full-speed running/sprints. I know how to make them go away once done running, but while running... its more then a burn... the bone feels as if its going to crack in two.)

Thanks for ready my BS post guys - and for the advise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: General Questions, Speedbag, Heavybag.

Ill help with what i can.
    The heavybag, your aim is to focus on proper form, whilst focusing on throwing punches hard and FAST. I hit it when its coming towards me, this is my preference. When its going away then hyper-extension can occur so its not advisable.
    Maybe fill your bag up with something heavier. I personally like the heaviest ones, but they do compact at the bottom and can cause pain when you forget this

With the rope, well, its hard to explain. Swing it, jump over it very quickly keeping your feet low to the ground, not like kindergarten skipping.
    Once you get adept at both feet together then start alternating feet, hopping, jogging on the spot.....

You said you were a runner before so you probably know more about shin splints than me, but one thing i do know. Get them checked out. They can get worst and lead on to serious things. Maybe go to a proffesional running shop and get new shoes that are measured to your gait etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I got a set of nikes I run on the outside of my foot they said that hard running is normal to get this pain, but its annoying. I can jog for a good bit, but hell I wanna do it to get tired... not looking to run 5 miles a day, just 1 or 2 very intense miles.

Yeah the bottom of the bag makes me knuckles worry sometimes. I'm getting used to it fast tho. I tear my knuckles down using speedbag gloves (I hate to use speedbag gloves for the speed bag, I like to just use wraps.) and then once they are real beat up I use 16oz sparring gloves to get them time to heal... I love 16oz gloves, they get ya tired fast. I been hitting this heavy bag EVERYDAY for the last 2 weeks... I love it, good way to releave aggression - I'll be taking afew days off from it soon (thats what I said afew days ago... ) I try to keep the bag from moving, and I havent encountered hyperextension yet... dont want 2 either. I try to punch fast, and return fast... but as for the form... I'm really sure what I'm doing form wise. I know I got my feet in the right place... but still need some guide lines for hooks, rotating feet ect.,

Any advise for the speed bag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good job, but keep this in mind, everybody thinks they are awesome, have the right technique, and got everything in place, UNTIL, they get a good trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sad but true... I guess for the most part I'll be working on making my hands faster. Either way thanks for the tips man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd advise getting yourself to a good trainer straight away so you don't form any bad habits that will be hard to drop. Just my opinion though

Thread Information